Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#58421 - 02/24/09 01:34 AM Portal Campground Reservations in Sept
Hiker Neil Offline

Loc: Carlsbad, CA
I have always hiked the MW trail in either late August or very early Sept, and I have always stayed at the Portal Campground making my reservations using the Reserve America web site. I attempted to make reservations for this year's hike the first week of Sept and the web site will not accept any reservations after September 1st. Does anyone know why this might be?

I have never experienced this issue in previous years.

I am already getting excited for the 2009 hike, but now I am worried about where to sleep on the night before the long day hike.

Thanks.

hikerneil

Edited by Hiker Neil (02/24/09 01:35 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#58426 - 02/24/09 04:06 AM Re: Portal Campground Reservations in Sept [Re: Hiker Neil]
Anonymous
Unregistered

September is beyond the 6-month window. Wait until March.

From http://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do?goto=/nrrsreservationpolicies.html
Quote:
NRRS™ Reservation Policies

As the NRRS™ changes, several Policies have been updated / modified to serve all of our customers better! Please see the following sections for changes to current policies for agencies currently participating in the NRRS™.

Making a Reservation
You can reserve the following types of facilities through the NRRS™

Individual Campsites
Up to 6 Months (rolling window) in Advance for all agencies under the NRRS
5 Months (block window) for Yosemite National Park - Inventory goes on-sale on the 15th of each Month

#58427 - 02/24/09 04:26 AM Re: Portal Campground Reservations in Sept [Re: Hiker Neil]
VersatileFred Offline

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By Hiker Neil
I have always hiked the MW trail in either late August or very early Sept, and I have always stayed at the Portal Campground making my reservations using the Reserve America web site.

Apparently you did not read the post about the Recreation.gov changeover 2 years ago. Reserve America took over the NPS reservation service and merged it with what you once knew as ReserveUSA under a new contract. It is now called Recreation.gov and the reservation window is now 6 months in advance to be consistent with the Park Service. ReserveAmerica also handles the California state park reservations.

#58430 - 02/24/09 12:08 PM Re: Portal Campground Reservations in Sept [Re: Hiker Neil]
Hiker Neil Offline

Loc: Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for the answers. I was unaware of this. I guess in previous years I must have booked in March.

Thanks again.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’