Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#106055 - 04/23/24 04:08 AM Trail Pass (HM Rd Conditions) - 04.22.2024
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Earth Day 2024...6 years since Mom passed...

I parked at the turnout at the bottom of Lubken Canyon Road and rode the e-bike up towards Horseshoe Meadows...

I think it's going to be an early Summer...there were patches of snow in the shade at the One Lane Section of the road...from there up there was nothing until The Crossover...I stamped a path in the snow at the side of the road and was able to ride down a bit...

Booted up to the Trailhead on the snowcat tracks...(looked to me like someone had ridden a snowmobile up) and then snowshoed up to the pass...

I looked at the sensors when I got home...52 degree high, but it felt like it was in the '80's...

Here are some photos:

Back to looking at Shin's album...

#106056 - 04/23/24 08:55 AM Re: Trail Pass (HM Rd Conditions) - 04.22.2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Hey, I've been hoping that you would head up to Horseshoe Meadows, and much to my surprise...Voila!!!

Your pictures brought back memories of when the road to Horseshoe Meadows opened up April 28, 2014. The following week, May 4th, I went over Trail Pass down to the Kern then up to Wallace Creek and the JMT..

Back then, only a patch or two on trail Pass.

I was hoping for the opening of the road soon, but maybe not. Or, maybe to the last gate.

I've been checking the road conditions on the Inyo Road site. I'd like to head up soon to Horseshoe Meadows or Onion Valley in early May. Here's hoping.

Good job Richard...add another Portal burger to your bank vault.

Paul

#106058 - 04/23/24 10:50 AM Re: Trail Pass (HM Rd Conditions) - 04.22.2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

I'm surprised they're not working it...
There own instructions say they won't touch a road that has in excess of 3' of snow...obviously, except for the drift at The Crossover, it's all well below 3'...

Now that I know I can get up there, I'm going more often...until I get yelled at again...and then I'll figure our a hiding place...which won't be hard...

BTW, remembering what the Survey Crew told me, I want to check out their "course" up the Old Trail...almost did it yesterday, but I knew you'd (I do think about these things...) be more interested in The Trailhead...and Trail Peak was on my mind (assuming altitude didn't kick my @$$...which it did!)...

#106059 - 04/23/24 04:22 PM Re: Trail Pass (HM Rd Conditions) - 04.22.2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Richard, I forgot to ask. Any signs of PCT hikers?

Last week, I checked out Kennedy Meadows website, which is a resupply hub for PCT hikers, and it indicated that the store will open the last Friday in April....

Paul

#106060 - 04/23/24 05:03 PM Re: Trail Pass (HM Rd Conditions) - 04.22.2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

No, I looked to see if there were any tracks coming up.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine