Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#106198 - 05/15/24 06:25 PM 5/10/24 Summit story
Brett Williams Offline

Loc: LA, CA
Hello, I’ve written a long & detailed account of our incredible journey to the summit of mount whitney on 5/10/24. I hope you enjoy. Never thought I could have such a powerful experience. Very thankful.

5/10/24 Mt Whitney Summit Story

#106199 - 05/16/24 03:40 AM Re: 5/10/24 Summit story [Re: Brett Williams]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
There's a lot to a climb of Whitney...that's why I use lots of dots...
Fun read. Congratulations.

Yes, you'll never forget your 1st climb of Whitney...my first climb nearly 52 years ago turned me into a Climber...wouldn't trade the Mountain Experiences for anything...

#106200 - 05/16/24 08:12 AM Re: 5/10/24 Summit story [Re: Richard P.]
Brett Williams Offline

Thank you Richard! I appreciate your help & insight along the way! it was invaluable to us. appreciate it!

#106201 - 05/16/24 08:34 AM Re: 5/10/24 Summit story [Re: Brett Williams]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Brett,

Thanks for your detailed TR with valuable photos. It seems this is a "must read" for those heading up in the next couple weeks.

Very glad your group all made it back safely to rejoin your families. This week helicopters flew three off the mountain to be delivered to the coroner in Lone Pine.

In one of your Summit photos, you signed a small notebook currently serving as the Summit Register. I placed it there last Fall on October 11. A few days later an Air France pilot (during a layover in Los Angeles) slid a thousand feet to his death on Mt Whitney. In retrospect, perhaps I should have added to the first page of this notebook, " Congratulations on reaching the Summit, you have made it to the Halfway Point."

BTW, you underestimated Doug's age in your account. His true age is concealed by his wisdom, sharp mind, and vast climbing experience in the area. A sincere concern for the wellbeing of travelers on the Mountain might be the reason he does not rent crampons and ice axes.

It seems your afternoon hike to nearly Trail Camp before you started on the Big One two days later was likely very useful (ie, acclimatization, check water sources/crossings, see where you would be hiking in the dark).

Great teamwork sticking together when the going got tough early on in the descent! A couple of days before your ascent, two climbers who summited, never made it down alive. When leaving the Summit, their group split up. Groups splitting up seem to be a recurring theme in bad outcomes on the Mountain.

Again, thanks for this valuable contribution.

Hope to see you on the Mountain later in the Season.

Jim

#106202 - 05/16/24 10:07 AM Re: 5/10/24 Summit story [Re: Jim F]
Brett Williams Offline

Thank You Jim.

I appreciate the response. I have been saddened by the recent deaths, hits so close to home, for obvious reasons. I had no idea it was happening all around us as we were about to set off on our journey. I am thankful we knew our limits and the weather cooperated with us, for the most part.

I am certainly struck by the vast power of the mountain, no question my biggest takeaway. Will be forever grateful for the wisdom that was shared with us, and my hope is to do my best to pass it on!

There is no doubt I will be back!

best,
Brett

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’