Webcam 1 Legend
Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mt. Whitney Portal Store Message Board
Jump to new posts Falling rock kills hiker near Mt. Whitney in Calif by paul @ Yesterday at 04:29 PM

https://news.yahoo.com/falling-rock-kills-hiker-near-105719438.html
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ Yesterday at 10:22 AM

Hey great to see you yesterday also for all the photos. One that I like shows the old switchbacks before one of the new routes to the cable area, often you can see the bottom area out of trailcamp. I understand the new trail was to avoid the scree a
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ Yesterday at 08:01 AM

A few more random comments from yesterday's climb: -Finally a somewhat successful climb...I made it back down before the WPS closing to talk to the Crew...Success only recognized if a burger can be ordered... -Hiked from the Cascade Turn to Mirror
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ Yesterday at 06:27 AM

Thank you so much - I found the following (http://www.summitpost.com/docs/BobR/Whitney_water_trail.pdf), we will use cautious and stay safe. I appreciate all the info Richard.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Jim F @ Yesterday at 06:03 AM

To find Bob's Water Sources documents on this Message Board: Go to the topic WPSMB Member Photo Albums Links, then to Bob R. At the end of his numerous contributions, there are two of is albums, one for water sources for the Main Trail and one for t
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ Yesterday at 04:17 AM

Adding a little info...there is a Spring flowing a few hundred yards prior to Outpost and also the Cascade at the far end of the camp. If we ask nicely, maybe we can get Jeff M to provide a link to Bob's Water Sources document.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:31 PM

The Summit Marmot is out-and-about...Looks pretty fat already...
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:29 PM

The North Fork today... BTW: more sad news...A climber on the E-Ledges was hit by a rock ...he didn't survive...
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/13/24 07:25 PM

I got up to Trail Camp later than I wanted to and wasn't willing to give up a summit (in case The Switchbacks didn't go)... Here are a few photos (comments below): Zoom in and you'll see that there is a boot track on the outside of The Cables..
Jump to new posts Re: 20 years old by Scott M. @ 05/13/24 04:54 PM

Just a little past Eric - Member #80 checking in and checking the board regularly. Joined 12-28-02. Scott M. in Aspendell/Bishop, CA
Jump to new posts Re: 20 years old by Eric @ 05/13/24 11:00 AM

Member #75 checking in! 20 years, wow. Glad we're hanging in. I am planning High Sierra Trail this summer with my 17 year old son, so glad that the forum is still here.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Brett Williams @ 05/13/24 09:34 AM

There is running water at trail meadow, about .5 mile from trail camp. I carried 3L in a bladder in my pack and an empty Nalgene bottle. I filled the Nalgene at trail meadow and replenished another 1L in my bladder. This got me to the summit and back
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:31 AM

Let me know how it goes, we are hiking May 22-25. Happy hiking!
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Guylaine @ 05/13/24 06:28 AM

Hi Brett - great post, I appreciate it so much. I have permits to hike May 22-25. Based on the below there are enough running water so we don't need to carry extra from portal to outpost?
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions On Baldy by Shin @ 05/12/24 05:53 PM

Snow is melting very fast. All chutes in the bowl lost good snow to climb. The trail is dry to Ski hut. One section of trail below Ski hut was blocked off by fallen tree. The massive snow bridges with 4-6 foot deep developed along the creek crossing
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Brett Williams @ 05/11/24 03:52 PM

Hello, Brett Williams here. I am going to post a new thread w/ photos & a full recap. but my friends and I made the summit yesterday in a very narrow margin. We hit the trail from Whitney Portal trail camp at 2am. We knew we may encounter weather, bu
Jump to new posts Re: Kearsarge Pass Beta by Frozengogo @ 05/11/24 11:04 AM

PCT group came up from Kennedy Meadows South and out over Kearsarge on May 4th. They said the pass was easy with clearly visible switchbacks. Bullfrog Lake area still covered in snow. These comments come from the Farout app many PCTers use for trail
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Doug Sr @ 05/11/24 07:06 AM

A quick recap of the week storm systen last weekend snow on the upper elevations and cold wind all week surface was turning from somewhat soft snow to glazed over icy surface many hours of the day. Forecast for yesterday 20% chance for moisture ,
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by SydneyLouWho @ 05/11/24 05:55 AM

We are hoping to attempt the switchback from Trail Camp on Wednesday so I would love to hear back on how they're looking on Monday!
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/10/24 10:56 PM

The 2 recent summits have been via variations up The Chute... One up the left side of Doug's Rib (an exposed section of rock in the middle - it's visible in at least one of the photos above) and the other up the right side... There is a report (abov
Jump to new posts Re: Road Status as of May 3, 2024 by paul @ 05/10/24 06:02 PM

This link (Explanation of the road closure) will take you to an article explaining why the road is closed between Tuttle Creek Road and Movie Road. Nice explanation with pictures and a brief history of all the events leading up to the closure. http
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by kpatzer @ 05/10/24 04:57 PM

Hi Richard! Huge bummer on the two that lost their lives Since you've been avoiding that side of the mountain, which trails did you have success climbing on the john muir side? Thanks, Karsten
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/10/24 04:41 PM

The only details that I remember of the conversation with the 2 climbers is that they exited The Final 400' via Wayne's Chimney... which is at the top of the "right rib." The guys were surprised when I explained the layout of The Final 400' a
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by ComradeBear @ 05/10/24 02:06 PM

Anyone know if its the Class 3/4 climb or the traverse that's the sketchy part? Or both? And what's making it sketch? Ice? Usually I take the MR, but I've been able to manage to do Final 400 by sticking to the class 3/4 climbing and finding dry rock.
Jump to new posts Re: 2024 by Richard P. @ 05/10/24 01:23 PM

That was a few anxious moments reading thru the report... The 2 climbers I met on the summit on 05.06 were prepping to simul-rappel the Final 400'...glad it wasn't them...bummer for the 2 that did perish...makes me glad that I've stayed true to avoid
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine