Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#92869 - 10/05/12 05:27 AM Anybody else looking forward to snow?
Cristobal Offline

Loc: San Diego
I love hiking in the snow. Even though I recently had the good fortune to hike to the Whitney summit, I still dream of reaching the peak in the snow. I'm training and planning now for my spring 2013 summit attempt.
So a few questions for those who have winter Whitney experience:
Which route do you recommend for a winter summit, and why?
What time of year? I've often heard that the snow is very dangerous in December and January of most years. Are conditions typically better by February or March, or does it vary a lot from year to year?
Any tips on equipment, planning, safety? I've been following this forum for a couple years, and I've done a fair amount of research, but any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

#93228 - 11/02/12 12:14 AM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Cristobal]
Wild_Turkey Offline

Loc: Dana Point, Ca
Yes I too am looking forward to snow! I have been up Whitney 3 times the last time was a winter attempt up the Mr. I went in April to beat the permit season and it got cold but not too bad. We topped out at about 13700 the weather was getting bad and we were a little rusty with using our ropes in such conditions on the notch we decided to turn around. This year I am attempting the mt with my brother who pretty green in winter hiking. The top of the Mr requires a good amount of experience with roping in but from what I can tell the main trail is far less technical. Also beginning of the season usually means more snow less ice...my plan is to keep ready and look for a good weather opening and go for it... I'm more concerned with the portal rd conditions than anything else

#94031 - 01/08/13 03:41 PM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Cristobal]
Sphazo Offline

Loc: Corona, Ca
Getting very excited to hike up MR this winter! Are there any reports on the snow conditions or recent trip reports? Are the willows covered or are the ledges still in play?

Happy Hiking!

#94107 - 01/16/13 06:41 PM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Sphazo]
Sphazo Offline

No updates or a TR?

#94108 - 01/16/13 08:33 PM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Sphazo]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
It sure is sad (sorry situation really) that nobody else posts info...

And I know there are more people heading up than me, Davey, Tracy. (Although I haven't been to Lone Pine since the near disaster... Thus no TRs from me.)

Edited by Richard P. (01/16/13 08:39 PM)
Edit Reason: I'm thinking of posting a sign... Don't be a dick, post a TR quick!

#94285 - 02/06/13 08:38 PM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Cristobal]
Sphazo Offline

Anybody heading up MR this weekend? My buddy wasnt able to make it and I would rather not solo up the final 300!

#94295 - 02/08/13 02:42 PM Re: Anybody else looking forward to snow? [Re: Sphazo]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Hi I know 4 people are going in today, no snow last night but watch webcam today see if storm moves in .Thanks Doug

Moderator:  Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine