Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91479 - 07/11/12 04:39 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Bee]
Dave On Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Richard P., I've never watched any Star Trek, but I love the fact that you think we have "Q Continiuum Powers" to climb the crazy main chute. laugh That's pretty funny. I figured that's why you were taking photos of me. Cheers my friend!

#91485 - 07/11/12 07:00 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Dave On]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Dave, it's actually a stupid inside joke poking fun at some climbers who think that right side is "adventurous." Sorry.

Bee, here's a weak attempt to show where the fun (easy(?)) terrain is:

SierraGator (Jim) heading for the "East Buttress Approach To The MR"

If you look at the top of the snow (there are a few white spots up high) that leads your eye to the East Buttress. You scramble up towards it and where you see the white spots up high, you make a traverse onto the "Catwalk," where the angle eases significantly. Becasuse of the "high angle" of the rock and the fact that the holds are "bomber," it is some of the most fun you can have on the MR.

TomCat_RC, Robin and SierraGator on the East Buttress Approach to the MR.

Higher.

Really, this is easy Class 3.

And we've now exited onto the Catwalk.

#91492 - 07/12/12 02:11 AM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Richard P.]
Bee Offline

Loc: Northern Ca
Amazing. Some of those areas where the hikers are lined up behind each other (narrow) almost look like they were set up to be climbed on purpose! I can see why people enjoy this part of the route.

#91919 - 08/07/12 08:52 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Doug Sr]
Blackfish Offline

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, Califo...
Enjoyed reading this thread....made my hands sweat.

Great pics.

Hope to someday take the MR to the summit.

#91942 - 08/08/12 11:52 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Richard P.]
FlaG8R Offline

Loc: Space Coast, Florida
Great pictures!!! I had forgotten about the high altitude deep blue/black sunburning sky...

#91945 - 08/09/12 02:03 AM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: FlaG8R]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Thanks.

If the Olympics ever end and I can get myself motivated, I really would like to get the slide show of the MR finished. I've got around 75 photos of the climb (just) up to Iceberg Lake and need to put together the climb up the Couloir and the Final 400' before I can post it.

Yeah, the sky up there is pretty awesome. This past weekend, the cloud "streamers" across the sky made it even more interesting.

#92957 - 10/12/12 01:58 AM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Richard P.]
hela Offline

Loc: CA
Brett Maune finished the season with an impressive new record for Mount Whitney via the Mountaineer’s Route in 1:56:54 and roundtrip time of 3:06:39.
Brett also holds the unsupported and overall record for JMT at 3d 14h 13m (2009).

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/in...amp;page=1#1043

#99253 - 02/03/15 05:46 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: hela]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Hi Just read the write up on how to get up the North Fork , maybe add a few hints over the last few years . The sometimes used North Side trail was very over grown last season and required much more route finding. I tried several of the old routes in and out of the creek bottom only to find them blocked with willows.The people that had been cutting a fresh path must of left the area.So the South Side trail is really the fastest way and as planned if used by all it will reduce the resource damage.

A trail crew worked above the ledges /just below Lower Boyscout Lake to build a solid trail in the blown out slope, most if not all of that work was destroyed by the floods we had.

On the record time now , we have a new runner that did it just over 3 hours , another young man was doing up trips several minutes faster than all the other records. And we have a new record for 3 times in one day.This record was done by self control of speed and logic , anyone can walk a mile an hour right? and very easy to walk a mile an hour down hill! The test can you do that knowing you could do 4 miles an hour??????

Another first last season a person was about half way up the face before they found they were not on the North fork but the East Face route. So that either tells one the East Face may not be that hard or the person was that strong. You never know why people do what they do!

Richard and others posted some very good photos of the route at points where many get confused so study these. Again if you don't see a faint trail or major track you should stop and look around and find the trail. Also be aware that many climbing routes take off this trail so if you are heading to Russel or Thor Stop and question the path on a map. I see the USGS map and software build from that platform still has the approximate trail heading onto the ridge past Upper Boyscout Lake make sure you move south slightly and join the gap/saddle along the toe of that ridge. The rest of the dashed line should work fine.

A word of caution I still suggest traveling this route with some one that has been up it several times and has the ability to go slow on the lower sections so the last 2000'up isn't stressed, this section is relentless well you do have that 8' down before the last 400' and consider taking the main trail down the first time if you are not a climber, Longer distance but a much easier walk and you will see both canyons.

#99276 - 02/07/15 01:19 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Doug Sr]
Mescalito345 Offline

I’ve hiked up the North Fork about six or seven times in the winter, and the route is always different. Doug: you mentioned that the “South Side trail” is now the best way to go. Does that mean we should stay on the left side of the creek, most of the way to LBSL? I may be headed up the North Fork next week, on the way to Thor Peak.

#99277 - 02/07/15 02:27 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Mescalito345]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Originally Posted By Mescalito345
Doug: you mentioned that the “South Side trail” is now the best way to go. Does that mean we should stay on the left side of the creek, most of the way to LBSL?
I think Doug means to cross the creek at the normal spot and stay on the south side until the E Ledges then go back to the north side. Some people have been staying on the north side the whole way and not crossing the creek.

#99278 - 02/07/15 04:13 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
Mescalito345 Offline

Thanks, Kurt. So it sounds like the same route as in April 2014. Some of us might head up to Thor Peak next weekend. It’s not yet clear where we will stay the night before. Maybe Lone Pine Campground.

#99281 - 02/08/15 12:02 AM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Mescalito345]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Mescalito345,

I was at Lone Pine Campground last week. Here is my "Conditions Report":

When I drove into the Campground I was greeted by a prominent sign "Free Winter Camping." There were three other groups there. The campground was in fine condition. The bathrooms were open, clean, and well supplied.

The weather seems to be stabilizing starting Tuesday. Have a good hike on Thor.

Jim

#99329 - 02/16/15 03:51 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Jim F]
Mescalito345 Offline

Thanks for the information about campsites and the North Fork route. We decided to camp at Lower Boy Scout Lake on Saturday night. Then we woke up early on Sunday, and hiked up to Thor Peak.

#99332 - 02/16/15 11:17 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Mescalito345]
Mescalito345 Offline

View of Mt. Whitney and Keeler Needle, from Thor Peak, 02/15/2015.

http://pkuroda.smugmug.com/Other/Misc-ph...mp;lb=1&s=A

#99437 - 03/05/15 06:59 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Mescalito345]
Climb out of the smog Offline

Loc: Riverside, CA
I know conditions have changed since you were up there but any beta from your 2/15 trip? Or more recent TRs on Thor Peak?

#99497 - 03/18/15 08:24 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Climb out of the smog]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Originally Posted By Climb out of the smog
I know conditions have changed since you were up there but any beta from your 2/15 trip? Or more recent TRs on Thor Peak?

Here's a picture I took of the route from Lower Boy Scout Lake on March 7:

#99499 - 03/18/15 09:24 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Climb out of the smog]
Mescalito345 Offline

Climb out of the smog:

We hiked up to Thor Peak a second time, on March 6. Here’s a link to some photos.

Thor Peak, March 6

#99970 - 06/25/15 02:20 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: Doug Sr]
sadiegirl Offline

Loc: MN
My partner bailed last minute and I have a day permit for one person for July 3rd, up mountainners down the main trail. If anyone is interested place call or email me. tesl27a@hotmail.com, 612-269-7225
-Leslie

#100264 - 08/20/15 07:03 PM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: sadiegirl]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Hi Did a trip up to Iceberg Lake yesterday,Flowers are in peak season now.

After the rains last year the route from Lower Boyscout Lake down is very rough , the trail work done has blown out and the top section (above the ledges ) very loose and large rocks in the path.

A very good line of Cairns now and looking at the normal wrong turns I didn't see heavy traffic signs. The last ridge before Iceberg many are following the route but some are missing the critical right turn and heading up a steeper canyon , most are climbers so this should not be an issue but if you feel stressed when you reach this point look right and on top of a large boulder about 200' feet up is the target .

After upper Boyscout Lake the slabs offer direct climbing to the saddle, saves on the plants in the area and your tread milling. After the notch you are again on a very well path till a steep scree slope try not to gain much elevation when you top out. The trail is on the flat scree field heading N/W'LY and takes you back into the canyon below the waterfall about 300' distance , looks like shear cliffs but cairns will lead you up a class 2 path.

I took of pictures of the short cut to Russel but most can't find it any way , like the slabs above Upper a slab system is about at the edge of the sandslope and will take you up on solid footing when you hit the headwall travel west this will take you to the top of the normal route and at the start of the trak to the saddle.Saves time and the loose slope travel.

#100396 - 09/18/15 12:34 AM Re: Mountaineers Route [Re: sadiegirl]
Christopher Schwartz Offline

Loc: Phoenix Arizona
Hi everyone, I know snowfall the last few winters has been kinda dismal...are snow shoes necessary for a Winter ascent?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’