Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#84674 - 05/30/11 05:40 AM Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!!
Denice Offline

Loc: CA
Hi all, I have been reading the boards for a while now and I have been calling the ranger station for updates about the snow conditions, and have received different information everytime. Has anyone been up there this past week? I would like to know what to expect. I was told there was no snow for the first 2 miles, then at 9k feet snow up to the knees. Also, is the route pretty visable for a first timer? What is the daytime temp average around this time of year? Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing a day hike, with a friend, their first time too. Just looking for what to expect. We will be there the day before as well. Also, what time do you suggest we head out on our journey? Thanks all, I look forward to any and all comments!! :))

#84738 - 06/01/11 06:13 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Denice]
Tracie B Offline

Loc: Behind the Orange Curtain, Cal...
Denise,

The conditions change very quickly. Are you doing a day hike or overnight? Main Trail or North Fork? Check the recent TRs on the main thread. Depending on the temperature, you may posthole at higher elevations. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. You definately want to keep an eye on the weather forecasts and be prepared for different conditions at different elevations and time of day. Depending on the weather, maybe there is a good boot track now on the main trail - but maybe those tracks are going the wrong way or a shortcut....don't want to scare you off. Just sayin' that happens. If the weather is good, you should have plenty of company up there. Be safe, have fun.

#84827 - 06/06/11 06:25 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Denice]
Sam Offline

Loc: bay area
Hi Denice

How was your trip? And how were the snow conditions on the mountain? Did you use crampons and ice axe?

#84828 - 06/06/11 06:58 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Sam]
Denice Offline

Loc: CA
Hey Sam!! The trip was nice, although I didn't get past the Outpost. No Crampons needed until at least there. I did not do well with altitude, even at that level, and my pack was heavy. I never have done any of this before, so I knew there was a chance I wouldn't make it. My friend made it to trail crest, had to use crampons and ice axe, she did get lost a couple times as there are foot prints going in every direction. She did go up the chute, and once at the top of that, she was advised by a gentleman not to continue due to ice and unstable conditions. She listened and came back down. I will attempt another time, when I can spend a couple nights to acclimate myself and maybe do it during the months of Late July or August, when I don't need such a heavy pack and ice axe and crampons, etc.. thank you for asking, and sorry I can't be of much help...

Denice

#84830 - 06/06/11 07:51 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Denice]
Sam Offline

Thank you very much Denice. That really helps.
We are planning to hike July 3rd but looking at the conditions, there will be lot of snow and ice.
We do not have the expertise needed with ice axe and crampons, hence we will return if we need to use one.
Following the motto "return safely from the mountain and try another year."

#85082 - 06/16/11 06:55 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Sam]
Gary C Offline

Loc: So Cal
Sam, We are planing to hike the following week on July 8th. We are doing a single day up and back, taking the Main Trail. Any info you can share after your hike will be most welcome and probably as current as we can possibly get! Thank you and Good Luck on your adventure.

#85084 - 06/16/11 08:43 PM Re: Going for 1st time on June 3rd 2011.. questions!! [Re: Gary C]
Sam Offline

Thanks Gary. Sure I will

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes