Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 64 of 65 < 1 2 62 63 64 65 >
Topic Options
#105553 - 06/29/23 06:14 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: TheHiddenGem]
Edw Offline

Loc: United States
I call it Southeast to differentiate it from the ridge on the other side of Goode Canyon, the one the Bear Canyon Trail follows. I mentally think of five ridges radiating from the summit of Baldy: east, north, west, southwest and southeast.

#105615 - 07/16/23 07:10 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Edw]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
All trails looked very dry on Mt. Baldy. It was very hot.
There were many trail runners, hikers, campers, and sightseers.
Some hikers who suffered from heat exhaustion requested medical assistance from the authority. Even well-prepared hiker couldn't overcome the excessive heat.
It is very good idea to start very early, before 6:00 a.m., and choose the trail with good shade coverage by the trees to avoid the excessive heat. Ski hut/Baldy bowl trail offers very good shade (60%) and good water supply at a half way point to the summit.

I met many longtime friends including Alex and Natalie (WPSMB member) near the Ski hut.

There will be a hiking event on 22nd to celebrate Ranger Dan's 1600th Mt. Baldy summit hike. The group will start around 8:00 from Manker and meet at the summit 12:00. Please say "Hi" if you see him and his group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CZ1BYAVYWZkndjyA8

Have a great hike.

P.S.
I let use my trekking poles to a hiker sprained the ankle on the trail. Please drop off the poles at visitor center on your next trip.

#105669 - 07/31/23 07:09 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

There were many cars already at Manker flat around 5:00.
It was warm and humid in the morning with little or no breeze. Some dark clouds showed up above the summit with sprinkles. There were still several snow fields left between Baldy and Harwood. Most people seemed enjoying being on the trails, but some weren't. Some hikers didn't carry any water at all.
Congratulations Brent for his 700th Baldy summit and Miles for his very first unsupported Baldy summit!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kydmr933pBKL5YuD8

Have a great hike.

#105697 - 08/07/23 06:32 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Who cut down many Yucca trees along Ski hut trail from 7000ft to 7800ft. Is this vandalism or some kind of conservation program? I have never seen this in last 19 years. I didn't take any pictures. It's too painful to take pictures. It will take decade to recover the scar. Sad!!!
Otherwise, It was very busy summer Mt. Baldy. Some camped out the summit.

Happy birthday Mr. Dan White for his 60th birthday. He has been a great Ski hut host for many decades. There were many friends for a big birthday party at Ski hut.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aDHCmsksc2J8DbpY8

Have a great hike.
P.S.
Do people know how to use toilet properly ?

#105710 - 08/13/23 06:35 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Pictures of cut down Yucca trees along the Ski hut trail.
Wildflowers around Ski hut area were very beautiful this time of year.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wzRiscf2YdgrstVk8
I joined with my friends' R2R training #3 of hiking up and down Baldy then hiking back up and down Ski hut trail for physical and mental training. San Antiono waterfalls was the best place to refresh!!. Without this great break at the waterfalls, we couldn't finish our day.

There were many hikers, hikers training for Mt Whitney, trail runners, sightseer, canyoners, overnight campers, and picnickers on the mountains. Everyone was enjoying a bit cooler day.

Have a great hike.

#105711 - 08/15/23 08:57 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Edw Offline

Loc: United States
An article in the LA Times on the remains of Julian Sands, if you have not seen it:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story...is-remains-body

I am more than a 'little shocked' that he was found wearing microspikes. Family and friends said he was an experienced mountaineer who knew the mountain well. I would not place him in that category if he was above the Ski Hut, on the day described by graham above, wearing microspikes rather than crampons.

Also not found were ice axe, trekking poles, pack or helmet. I can see losing an ice axe and a trekking pole in the fall. More difficult to understand losing the pack, particularly if you are using the chest and/or waist strap. Personally, I don't like helmets, and would not use one myself on the ridge.

I assume people have seen the call by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department for winter closures. It looks like they are tired of the USFS simply doing nothing about the winter problems on Baldy. My main objection to closures is that 'non-closure' signals 'safe' to some people.

#105780 - 10/02/23 06:49 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Edw]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Fall hiking season is in.
There were many traces of cold season on the trail. Ice was forming in a small water hole, the ground was covered with thin snow over 9300 ft, ice-covered trees on below summit slop, and frosty summit. It was cold, windy, and strong clouds activities.

We spotted a mother bear and two cubs on west ridge, 8600 ft, and walked down to Goode canyon direction.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rTaQFh4NUiesmuSi8

Have a great hike.

#105807 - 10/30/23 06:04 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

October 29th was very windy,30-40mph gust, and very cold especially Manker flat parking area.
Many early starters turned around because of continuous very strong wind. Most of hikers were well prepared for cold hiking condition. But some were totally ill-prepared. We turned around after inhaling the smells of bacon and pancake breakfast at smoky Ski hut. There were many young guests enjoying the great outdoor experiences.

There were many small rocks blown off by the strong wind on Mt. Baldy road.
Several spots were iced up below Ski hut. My friend's leaky water bladder's mouth piece got frozen solid and formed icicle. She ate it at Ski hut.
Please keep eyes on all dead trees along the trail. They may snap off without notice like several huge dead trees had been blocking off the trail for several months. Even huge trees were swaying back and forth yesterday. Please observe all rocks or boulders sitting precarious position in the face bowl. They may tumble down someday soon by rain, snow, frost, and human cause.

Have a great hike

#105809 - 10/30/23 08:11 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

#105812 - 11/01/23 08:25 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Winter we just got summer up here! No very cold spell last week but warming up for a few hours a day ,no moisture in the close forecast so should see a few after permit season hikers showing up ,recall a few years ago same warm days very cold nights caught a hiker off guard and didn't survive the night.Mountains and weather always serious and unpredictable.

Ok so Heroes Hike is on for the Nov 11 2023 we started the team wpsmb hope to see you and many others on Baldy ,please join in will print shirts so need your names by next Monday at the latest size also would help I can get the names off the team page Thanks and hope to see many on Baldy for a great cause this is the 10 th year and many different things happening.Thanks Doug

#105831 - 11/21/23 08:38 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Doug Sr]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

It was very windy on Mt. Baldy last several days.
I have checked a few different weather stations before the hike. But, the real condition wasn't exactly same as the forecast.
The wind was consistently strong and sometimes frightening throughout the entire trail on Monday. I had to seek shelters many times behind big alive trees, rocks, or bushes. I observed and avoided all dead trees or top-heavy trees. I stayed on west side slop of the ridge from 8600-9500 ft where the original trail is, Goode canyon direction, for much better protection from the wind. The wind was brutal around the summit. I creeped up from the last big bush like an inchworm to the summit plate. I touched and left immediately from the summit. It was the shortest stay at the summit. I advised all hikers that not to hike down Devils backbone direction because of very long ridge hike with exposure to vicious wind. We can protect ourselves most of elements but wind.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2RNLJLAKDnhU2q3j6

Have a great hike.

#105845 - 12/24/23 06:40 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Mt. Baldy got some snow last week. The weather was very nice below 9500 ft. It was very cold and windy at the summit but very beautiful above 9500 Ft.

Manker flat parking: Dry
To Ski hut: Mostly dry except some icy spots below Ski hut creek.
To west ridge: Switchbacks in the tree section had hard packed
snow and some areas were very icy. Micro spikes were very helpful, especially coming down.
Ridge from 8700ft to 9200ft: Snow was melting fast on south
facing slope. Almost no snow. Stay along the metal posts.
9200FT to summit: Hard packed snow. Great with micro spikes.
There will be more snow in the forecast this week.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FWr11jVPZaxWvDoPA

Have a great Holiday season.

#105846 - 12/25/23 02:53 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
BiletChick Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Merry Christmas Shin and Kazuko!
From Stacy and the two new dogs!

#105850 - 01/01/24 05:35 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: BiletChick]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Baldy - New Year's Day 2024

Baldy must have been jealous of the wind and spin on Whitney...
We had to deal with a bit of both today...
Good seeing Shin and meeting his hiking buddy...(She's strong and fast...)

#105851 - 01/02/24 07:13 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Mt. Baldy got 2nd snow, 2-4 inches, last week.
From Manker flat parking to 8200 feet: Almost no snow except a few icy spots near Ski hut.
From Ski hut to the summit: Perfect condition for micro spikes.
There was a strong wind from 8600-9000 feet. We took westside of ridge along the original trail to avoid the wind from east. It was a bit cold and windy at the summit.

There were many hikers hiked up early to watch the sunrise.
The highlight of the day was hiking with a longtime friend Richard P. and met many Mt. Baldy regulars. My year 2024 started right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFnhDQtYohHJZMDi6

Have a great hike.

#105863 - 01/21/24 08:44 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

We are in the middle of rainstorm with some snow in the forecast.
We hiked before the storm set in.
I check the weather forecast on Mount Baldy (San Gabriel Range) site. This site provides 7 days forecast with 4 different elevation levels (Base 1641ft, 4922ft, 8203ft, and 10066ft) and AM/PM/Night, every 3 hours, every 1 hour, almost 3-dimentional and comprehensive weather information for safe hiking.

I also check https://10064ft.com for Mt. Baldy Road conditions.
This site and equipment were provided by Pavel AKA Mayor of Mt. Baldy. The live cameras show Fire Department 4180ft, Icehouse intersection 5000ft, Icehouse parking 5200ft, Icehouse trail head 5080ft, Big Butch crossing 5980ft, Harwood Lodge 6000ft-Manker flat parking, Ski Hut/Baldy bowl 8200ft.
This site is very useful for winter hiking on Mt. Baldy. Thank you, Pavel.

The weather was consistently changing all day long. But we avoided all elements with minimal efforts. We changed our gears/clothing several times before get into the elements. The trail/ground near the summit was soft on the way up but got frozen up and got very hard within a few minutes. The wind was very strong. All the moistures in the air got icy. We took few pictures and ran down. No lunch break at the summit or all day long.

There may be some new snow on the trail. From Rock Garden to the west ridge and above 9500ft is soft new snow on top of hard packed ice snow. Good traction devices are must.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHGEsP2uLgkQ9AMC6

Have a great hike.

#105886 - 02/10/24 07:26 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Recent snowstorm dumped tons of snow on Mt. Baldy. This is the first good snow for this winter season.

Manker flat parking lot was limited parking space because of heavy snow. Adventure pass requirement was enforced. The violation costs $5.00

Trailhead to waterfalls: It was very icy early in the morning. Micro spikes are very helpful.
Waterfalls to Ski hut: 1-4 feet of unconsolidated deep soft snow.
The winter track was established. But, if you step off the track, you will lose footing and sinking knee to waist deep. It is a very good idea to stay on same track.
There was a sign of track travelling to Rock Garden but no one confirmed how far the track was established. Most of hikers turned around from Ski hut due to very strong wind and very bad snow condition. There were many skiers, snowboarders, and some adventurers trying the bowl climb under extreme condition.
Micro spikes/crampons and trekking poles with snow baskets are most helpful. The hike was very challenging because of the snow condition and very strong wind.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KjUYJnMuwEnqRdy46

Have a great hike.

#105895 - 02/17/24 09:27 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Before a next storm hit, we hiked up Mt. Baldy today.
Manker flat parking lot had limited parking space, and the wilderness pass was enforced. Be sure to place your card backside up so the ranger can see the expiration date.

Manker to San Antonio waterfalls: Dry
Fire road to Ski hut junction: Thinning snow.
Ski hut trail/Baldy bowl trail to SKi hut: 1-4-foot-deep snow.
Stay on the higher line of trail around 7300 ft.
Ski hut to the west ridge: Rock Garden was completely covered snow. The trail was deep and messed up with many different tracks.
West ridge to 9000 ft: Deep trail with many different tracks.
To the summit: Deep trail with many different tracks.
Overall, the trail was messed up because of deep wet snow.
We took the bowl chute between Shutzou(?) ally and 3-pin-ally with good single track. This line is the longest bowl chute but the closest to the summit. There weren't any established tracks on other chutes. Maybe because of the very poor snow conditions.
Hiking down from Ski hut required careful attention to the footing because wet slushy deep snow.
Norma R. joined with us. We ran into Mac, longtime WPSMB member, on the trail. Dan White, Ski hut host, offered us cinnamon rolls. There were many guests, skiers, hikers around Ski hut.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gov8UX9ZUXLJz2Ud8

Have a great hike.

#105913 - 03/01/24 08:29 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Before next storm hit, Richard P. and I hiked Baldy. Brent joined us. He waited for us a long time at Manker flat. We met one skier and K9 at the Ski hut.

Manker flat parking to 7300: Free from snow.
Ski hut to the summit: Well-consolidate deep snow. There were a few remains of old avalanches from Register ridge. Tracks run around on the slope 8700-9000 ft. We must be careful about the west facing area between 9300-9500ft. The long slope to the deep canyon below was icy. Stay on well establish winter trail up higher. The summit area above 9700 ft was very icy.

We climbed via a variation route of Zeke's chute. The snow condition and weather in the chute changed as we went up. It is a good idea to prepare all gears at Ski hut before you commit to climb the chute. No changing gears or clothing in the middle of the chute.
We experienced very dense fog 8600 - 8000 feet on the way down. It was very hard to determine the footing, no depth perception. It is a perfect condition to injure your legs or losing the direction.

A few things I learned from Leap Day hike.
1) Richard decided to wait for us at Ski hut because his gears weren't good enough for the conditions. He patiently waited for us near 3 hours in cold foggy Ski hut. It was a very wise decision of him from his profound experience. Most people will continue on....
2) Brent decided to wait the skier with K9 till both exit out the chute safely. We were the only grope in the chute that day. We shared the summit together.
Both of them exhibited the concern of the safety of other hikers.
Later at the Manker parking lot, we found out that both Richard and Brent are Mt. Baldy 5 times a day hiker.
Later Brent took us to a great hamburger restaurant near 210 fwy.
This Leap Day hike became a very special hike.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2fKjsgj4C8eMZmVB9

Have a great hike.

#105947 - 03/06/24 08:08 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

This is my personal views as a weekend sea-level hiker in L.A.

I forgot to add my previous post about changing snow conditions in the bowl. Snow or track condition changes as you climb up from firm above Rock Garden to very icy, sometime ice axe or crampon won't get you secure body position especially 8700-9400ft. The tracks are very shallow or no tracks in steep section. The bowl looks white from distance, but it is frozen solid underneath. I use an old-fashioned steel tipped heavy ice axe, no lightweight axe. We had 3-5 foot very heavy wet snow slowly consolidate over last 3-4 weeks. Then we had some rain and over 55mph wind (5-10 F) for two days last week. It is safe to assume the entire mountain is frozen solid now. There will be several inches of new snow and rain in the forecast today and tomorrow. The condition is not matter of what you have. It will be very dangerous condition.

All rocks and ice chunks start falling down around 9-10:00 a.m. They shoot down like bullets toward mid-section (9000ft) with controlled pattern then spread all directions. Keep eyes on steep slope above all the time, keep on moving to get out the bowl as soon as possible. It is a good idea to maintain good distance among hikers and keep eyes and ears open to the surrounding. It is not a place to rest up or changing gears. It is very good idea to prepare everything at Ski hut before you consider climbing up the bowl.

It is a very good idea to hike with people who you can trust your life.

Page 64 of 65 < 1 2 62 63 64 65 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’