Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 5 of 65 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 64 65 >
Topic Options
#84276 - 05/16/11 04:40 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: GigaMike]
quillansculpture Offline

Loc: CA
Richard, That makes my three summits of Baldy per year look pretty piddly......

Congrats on the elevation and mileage. I'm still recuperating from the Wild Wild West Marathon last week, and that didn't come close to your mileage!!!!!!

"Turtles, Frogs & other sculpture raised in a Gallery-friendly Environment"

http://www.quillansculpturegallery.com

#84277 - 05/16/11 04:42 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: GigaMike]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
Hi GigaMike,
Please give him a break this time otherwise he will get serious about 6X soon.
We can give him an extra credit of his attempt of 3Ts very next day of 5X.

Shin

#84280 - 05/16/11 02:54 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Shin]
Ryan B Offline

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Nice job, Richard! Congrats on your 5X. Well done.

I'm sure all those cheetos gave you the energy you needed... wink

#84281 - 05/16/11 02:58 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
BMan Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hey Richard!

Congratulations! We figured you made it but hadn't officially heard. We're very happy for you and very happy to have been able to see you up there and hang out with you for a brief period as you were carving out a rut up and down the hill.

Brandon

#84283 - 05/16/11 04:10 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: BMan]
AlanK Offline

Loc: Glendale, CA
Richard, you are truly a cussedly stubborn guy. But we already knew that. Great job!

I did pass the news along to Eric. It brought a smile to his face.

#84284 - 05/16/11 04:11 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: BMan]
JamesL Offline

Loc: California
Richard, great going! Everyone has said congrats so not sure what to add. Let me think, doing that more than once is amazing, 3x off the charts, but 5x??? All I can say is...DUDE!

#84285 - 05/16/11 04:23 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: rick]
Tracie B Offline

Loc: Behind the Orange Curtain, Cal...
Not sure if you went up RR on one of your 5x but there is a really nice trail going on there now with nice boot tracks smile

congratulations Richard. Shin, Mt. Baldy hikes aren't the same without you - you're in our thoughts.

#84286 - 05/16/11 05:24 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
JEFF SCOFIELD Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Originally Posted By Richard P.
What better day would there be than Friday the Thirteenth?

Thanks Shin and Jeff.

Sorry I couldn't wait for you guys, but rounds four and five were way too hot for me and it'll only get worse as we head into summer. Shin, if my feet were replaceable (Is that a word?), I think I could pull off six. The legs and heart were much better than expected, but I really could not stand putting weight on my feet at the end.

(Quite a few people I met along the trail were urging me on to six. Thanks.)

A SPECIAL thank you to Team ABC... The lunch and snacks (and the gift) were way beyond the call of duty! Whatever was in those gell packs that Ava let me grab from her pack worked wonders...

==========

For those who like to see numbers:

2:02
2:04
2:08 (Much slower if I add the socializing time back in, but I was trying to see how the repeats were going, so I stopped the clock at each stop.)
2:22
2:23

I wanted 5 on 4 hours, but the last one ended up being 4:08+-.

==========

I'd still like to see EK head up there and cruise thru six, maybe even seven.

So RP I am the stat geek in talking to Shin it seems like you broker Rick's time! His total time for 5 summits was 22 hrs 21 min it sounds like you did it in roughly 21 hours???
Great Job! What's even more impressive is that you actually had energy the next day to get some more climbing in when most people would be sitting in a jacuzzi the whole day, like me....

I look forward to trying 3X this year and joining Fight On and AlanK in the 3 summits club....

#84293 - 05/16/11 11:10 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: JEFF SCOFIELD]
So.BayMark Offline

Loc: Torrance Ca.
Richard way to go, like reading stuff like this, but for me once is enough...congrats

mark

#84295 - 05/16/11 11:43 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: So.BayMark]
JEFF SCOFIELD Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Mark glad someone but Richard and Shin are into these kind of stats. I was bragging about RP to my friends at work whom I've took up once and some were super "wowed" and one said why? I asked the guy who asked why, why do you go to a gym and run on a treadmill when the weather outside is perfect? Why becuase YOU do what YOU are in to!
I would love to see Eric go for 6X!!!!! Maybe if we all pull some $20 bills we can bribe Eric to kill his knees...LOL

#84296 - 05/17/11 12:35 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: JEFF SCOFIELD]
AlanK Offline

Loc: Glendale, CA
Originally Posted By JEFF SCOFIELD
Mark glad someone but Richard and Shin are into these kind of stats. I was bragging about RP to my friends at work whom I've took up once and some were super "wowed" and one said why? I asked the guy who asked why, why do you go to a gym and run on a treadmill when the weather outside is perfect? Why becuase YOU do what YOU are in to!
I would love to see Eric go for 6X!!!!! Maybe if we all pull some $20 bills we can bribe Eric to kill his knees...LOL

"Why" is a perfectly valid question and "why not?" is probably the correct answer.

#84298 - 05/17/11 01:31 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: JEFF SCOFIELD]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Thanks everybody.

Jeff, unofficially 20:11.

Why 1? I have bigger things in mind for later this summer. If I couldn't do Baldy 5 times, there would be no sense in even thinking about the other things I'd like to try. (I'm being cryptic because I may just change my mind and stay home and watch NASCAR.)(In regard to one project, I'm hoping Doug will say "don't bother, someone already did it.")(Another project has been on the list for at least five years.)(There's also the section day-hike of the JMT, but I don't think that'll happen this year because of all the snow up north. I'd want to do it in early July for the really long days.)

Why 2? 5x was way beyond being guaranteed, so it was a challenge...

BTW 1: Jeff and Shin, you better invite me when you do your 3x day.

BTW 2: Mark the night hiking on Baldy wasn't fun. I don't know how you do all those night ascents.

#84299 - 05/17/11 02:14 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: graham]
bulldog34 Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Originally Posted By graham
Laps/Cumulative Miles/Cumulative gain in feet
5/46/19520

Richard, I'm just shaking my head. 19.5K' of gain in one day is just hilariously insane! Can't wait to see what's behind Doors 1, 2 or 3 this summer. My congrats to everyone else's. Hope to see you at the Portal in July.

Edited by bulldog34 (05/17/11 02:15 AM)

#84305 - 05/17/11 01:20 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: bulldog34]
Richard P. Offline

Thanks.

Yes, eventually I'll have to show up at the Portal. Your daughter taking over the WPS is on the "highlite reel" from last year.

I need to keep climbing Whitney in order to stay ahead of Crazy Jack and to have any opportunity to catch up with Ranger Bob.

Edited by Richard P. (05/17/11 01:21 PM)
Edit Reason: That last sentence is a joke...

#84307 - 05/17/11 03:23 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
Rick Kent Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Nice job Richard! Very impressive that you were able to keep your speed up even on your 5th ascent.

I don't know if I can ever get back up to that level again but I did manage to hit a few peaks on the Baldy Loop on Saturday. My knees actually turned out to be more trouble than the ankle.

-Rick

#84309 - 05/17/11 04:08 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Rick Kent]
Richard P. Offline

Thanks RK.

I've said it before..... We're glad to see you out there again and I think you understand the "teasing" that goes on between us in regard to PBs up some of these mountains.

Also, a few of us are wondering what's happened to your website?

#84312 - 05/17/11 04:42 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
Rick Kent Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
I swapped out a motherboard on the server and then had to reinstall everything ... I just haven't had time to get it all up and going yet.

#84313 - 05/17/11 04:56 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Rick Kent]
graham Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
Hey RickK,
Good to see you back in the game....and 11-peaks no less, WoHoo! cool
Cheers,
RickG

#84347 - 05/18/11 10:45 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: graham]
Richard P. Offline

Amgen Tour of California is finishing at the Ski Resort on Saturday...

Although it will be a circus, it sure would be cool to see some of those Pros motoring up Mt. Baldy Road.

Back in '87 (I think), when the World Championship was held at the Academy in Colorado Springs, I went to watch and ride the course (they didn't prohibit the public from riding it)! It was cool crusing around behind a group that had LeMond and Hinault at about 16mph up some pretty steep hills. All of a sudden, I saw them put it on the big chainring and motor away at nearly twice that speed. Amazing how strong they are. (Of course, at 16mph, I was already sucking wind while they had been chatting away...)

#84348 - 05/18/11 11:35 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Mountain Ginger]
ScreePebbels Offline

Loc: California
I was on Baldy Friday the 13th. We noticed a guy going past us once while he was going up, and once while he was going down.

That was Richard P? I noticed the dish towel (or something like that) that's why I remember it now.

Nice job Richard P

Originally Posted By SanDi_carole
A,B & C were goofing around on Baldy yesterday.
Conditions are dry with occasional patches of melting snow. Devils backbone route has had a slide in the last few days - we were told by a group that had just trod across it.

Saw some guy going up and down the mountain with a dish towel on his head. I think the last time we saw him he was on his 4th summit, on his way to 5x in one day. He was looking strong. We fed him Cheetos as we continuously passed him. Friendly bloke - I wish him well on his adventure.

Saw a storm blow in as we drove away. Hope Mother nature let him finish.

C~

Page 5 of 65 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 64 65 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes