Owens Valley South Legend
Page 34 of 65 < 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 64 65 >
Topic Options
#97517 - 02/28/14 08:19 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: 63ChevyII]
lilbitmo Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Originally Posted By 63ChevyII
Originally Posted By Richard P.

I'd be very careful about being anywhere near the Baldy Bowl after the DUMP happens...

Thanks for the 'reality-check' Richard. That's something I hadn't thought about.

Maybe I'll check out Icehouse - too bad there's that pesky requirement for a permit... kind've a pain when you want to start early and don't have permits ahead of time.

63ChevyII
Call the visitors center at baldy they leave permits on the bulletin board out front for any one that asks them too, never been a problem with them - but 99% of the folks don't bother as in 11 years of going up that trail I've never seen a ranger on the trail so you should be fine without one, just MHO

#97518 - 02/28/14 08:46 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: lilbitmo]
Pat Offline

Loc: CA
When I went up Icehouse earlier in the month, the new kiosks had several pads of permits and a laminated example of how to fill out them out in the register box.

Since there is/was no signage yet, it was pretty much ignored by everyone walking by. There was only one other permit besides ours filled out when we started, both were gone at the end of the hike.

Edited by Pat (02/28/14 08:50 PM)

#97519 - 02/28/14 08:47 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: lilbitmo]
burtw Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Now there's a metal box for self-permitting right at the start of the Icehouse trail. Better bring your own pencil, though. There wasn't one last time I was there.

#97522 - 03/01/14 02:25 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: burtw]
63ChevyII Offline

Loc: Colton, California
Thanks for the info lilbitmo, Pat and burtw.

At the moment I'm honestly not feeling up to hiking tomorrow (long week with little sleep), but I do want to get out in the snow this winter. It seems my opportunities will be very limited this year, so I better take advantage when I can.

#97526 - 03/01/14 03:50 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: 63ChevyII]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Just read an e-mail that said Mountain High didn't get the massive amounts of snow forecast, so they weren't able to re-open...

Sounds like the forecaster were Crying Wolf again? Be interested in hearing how the conditions are on Baldy...

#97528 - 03/01/14 06:17 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
Pat Offline

Loc: CA
Doesn't appear they got much around the ski area.

Quote:
Mountain Report
Mar 01, 07:27AM

We will not be operating today as the forecast calls for more snow as well as high winds.
Yesterday & last night we received 5" of snow after the rain stopped which is less than what was forecast. Today forecasts have the possibility of more snow on the way. Some as bold as to say 1 to 3 feet. We'll be hoping for the best.

Mt Baldy

#97532 - 03/02/14 06:18 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
lilbitmo Offline

Snow level was down to Manker Flats when we arrived this morning. It was 4 to 6 inches most of the way to the Ski Hut, became thicker in a few areas but didn't get real thick until the rock garden, from there up the south side of the bowl was mix between, grupel and wet snow underneath, continued to snow all day on and off. What is there is 2.5 feet deep in the bowl, might be more by now from all the fresh flurries coming down all day. This will stick around for at least two weeks depending on how much it heats up. Wouldn't wait to long to go, this could be all we see this winter, who knows.

Edited by lilbitmo (03/02/14 06:19 AM)

#97533 - 03/02/14 05:39 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Richard P.]
asbufra Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By Richard P.
Sounds like the forecaster were Crying Wolf again? Be interested in hearing how the conditions are on Baldy...

After watching the TV weather early (4AM) Saturday I was expecting mudslides, debris flows, flash floods, deep snow and no chance of making Manker alive. But we just cruised up with 2WD on slightly damp roads and almost no rain the entire drive from OC. There was nice new snow on the trail from the start but crampons and ice axes stayed in the car, we used microspikes to descend.
It will probably get icy on the trail, be smart and be safe.

African Proverb
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbufra/

#97545 - 03/04/14 01:46 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: asbufra]
So.BayMark Offline

Loc: Torrance Ca.
So the story goes like this, I was in Sacramento over the weekend for my granddaughters B.D. and to visit Pops, so I missed out on the fun so today was my day to take off of work and enjoy the snow. By the time I got to the skihut someone was trying to go up the Bowl, I could tell the bowl was light on snow since it was dirt underneath and not much grip,so I decided to go up the middle of West baldy but all I did was spin my wheels so I moved a little left and went up that side with good grip and foot prints, at the top the sun was coming out and getting warm, off came the mid weight and gloves,I met Shawn at the trail head and we past each other off and on. Had a snack just before the last push, then headed to the summit with a copter going overhead, the last few steps to the summit I knew it landed and was able to take a couple of shots..

Light breeze and 33deg on summit after a bit I headed for the chutes I was going to go down the one I know best but when I got there it was light snow and ice I thought for a minute and said I'll be safe today and go around to the trees.

At the hut I met Johnny the rock climber and then long time no see was Dave G.

Three climbers were going up the Bowl when I was crossing the rock pile and later saw one coming down and later saw only one 3/4 the way up the chute.

Saw around 35 people today mostly at the hut and below..

Just another bitchen day on Baldy

mark
Pictures Here

This way up

on the Summit

#97546 - 03/04/14 04:19 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: So.BayMark]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
It looks a lot like Christmas! Great shots

#97547 - 03/04/14 07:28 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Doug Sr]
Mountain Ginger Offline

Loc: Arrowbear Lake California
Nice Helo shot Cookie~~

We went up Saturday with the crew. It was flippin awesome. Horizontal rime on the trees above the ridge. Summit was scoured almost smooth from the wind. Plaque was covered in ice and I was too after a few minutes playing at the windbreak. I was digging a hole so I could hide from the wind.. =)

Wind was pretty beastly until the Noodle bowl and then only sporadic on the ridge. Tons o fun was had glissading down the West Bowl. No rocks were found and no one pulled a "Carole" - thank you Norma wink

#97558 - 03/07/14 06:59 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Mountain Ginger]
Norma R Offline

Loc: Ventura County, CA
Carole (noun) Feminine name for a pretty ginger.

Carole (verb) When a pretty bum comes in contact with rock while glissading.

Sh!t (slang) Vulgarity uttered when a Carole (verb) takes place resulting in a bruised coccyx.

smile

#97575 - 03/11/14 07:17 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Norma R]
Scott92394 Offline

Loc: Victorville
Nice snow on Baldy - Anyone been to Baden-Powell since the last storm? Looking to do it this weekend, and any intel on snow/ice would be appreciated.

#97604 - 03/16/14 09:35 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: rick]
PhilB Offline

Loc: Newport Beach
Wow, what a difference a week makes, top pic of the bowl was on 3/8/2014, bottom pic was 3/15/2014,it was windy both weekends but things are melting fast.
Good to see Shin and Rick Graham on the way up.

Phil

#97605 - 03/17/14 03:54 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: PhilB]
Akichow Offline

Loc: Confluence of the Sac and Am R...
So, leave the crampons and snowshoes at home for next week, eh?

#97608 - 03/17/14 01:46 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Akichow]
asbufra Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By Akichow
So, leave the crampons and snowshoes at home for next week, eh?

Karin,
Yesterday was shorts and t-shirt weather, and no gear was necessary, most of the snow is gone except around the summit.

Next weekend will be cooler and wind is always a possibility but you should be walking on dry ground 99% of the time.

African Proverb
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbufra/

#97609 - 03/17/14 01:50 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Scott92394]
Scott92394 Offline

Loc: Victorville
Beautiful day Saturday. 37 at the trailhead at 7am, and snow was sparse the first dozen or so switchbacks. Snow more consistent after Lamel Springs sign (1.7 miles in), and broke trail after another half-mile. Some icy spots but never used microspikes or ice axe once, trek poles worked well. Very windy at the saddle and howling at the summit (around 9:20). One other on top. Did a few glissades on way down (again in icy areas), and a few postholes to the knees and finished the normally 7.9 mile roundtrip in 6.5 miles. All in all a nice trip. Fifty degress back at the trailhead, so if weather keeps up the snow on the switchbacks will be gone in another month - sad.

#97627 - 03/21/14 03:49 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Scott92394]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
I climbed Baldy on Tuesday the 18th and skied Gorgonio on Thursday March 20. Baldy is pretty bare at this point. Just a few patches that are melting fast. The north side of Gorgonio still has some good snow. Had a great day skiing it.

Pictures:
Mt. Baldy March 18, 2014
San Gorgonio March 20, 2014

#97630 - 03/22/14 02:03 AM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Kurt Wedberg]
Akichow Offline

Loc: Confluence of the Sac and Am R...
Okay. The crampons, snowshoes, ice axe, heavy parka, helmet, thermos, igloo building tool, snowmobile, ice saw, and mukluks all stay home.

#97632 - 03/22/14 03:28 PM Re: Conditions On Baldy [Re: Akichow]
lilbitmo Offline

Originally Posted By Akichow
thermos

You can bring that full of coffee, Shin and I will be glad to help you drink it wink

Page 34 of 65 < 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 64 65 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’