Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#78978 - 08/03/10 12:35 AM In Pursuit of Polemonium
Tracie B Offline

Loc: Behind the Orange Curtain, Cal...
It had been a year since I was last treated to the scent-sational fragrance of Polemonium, and I didn’t want to let another season slip by without getting a whiff of what I like to think of as God’s gift to the Mountaineer – for to my knowledge, this delightful plant only blooms at elevations above 12K.

I’d secured 2 permits late Saturday for a day hike in the Whitney Zone, via the North Fork, but my friend wasn’t feeling well in the morning and was unable to accompany me as planned. Permit in pack, I set off on a flower safari up the North Fork, through the MR; scrambling solo up an unguided path on the final 400, then following the wondrous fragrance of Polemonium down to nearly the bottom of the switchbacks on the long and tedious main trail.

As I drove home that evening, a quote kept repeating itself in my mind…and I’m sure many of you have read it before…."Testing one's limits may create a risk factor but it is the only way to find out what you are truly capable of." mc reinhardt

I wish I could share the scent of Polemonium with those of you who’ve not yet had the pleasure, photos are all I have to offer. I hope you enjoy them.

Tracie

#79000 - 08/03/10 03:09 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
Ryan B Offline

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Great stuff Tracie! I'm sorry I couldn't join you on Sunday. After the Candlelight hike I had to drive home because of some obligations on Sunday.

Thanks for the invite though and thanks for sharing your trip. Looks like you had a great time.

-Ryan

#79003 - 08/03/10 04:38 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Ryan B]
Tracie B Offline

Thank you Ryan...I wish I'd had some company blush because that final section of the MR scared the bejeepers out of me!

#79022 - 08/04/10 02:39 AM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
tomcat_rc Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest
We found some of the same inspiration 2 weeks ago.

#79036 - 08/04/10 03:52 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
Dave G Offline

Loc: Brea, California
At first glance I thought your post was about climbing Polemonium Peak, but your beautiful flower images are even better, Tracie!
I've been telling my scouts and their parents about the Skypilots and Alpine Gold--can't wait to see their reactions in two weeks!
Good job soloing the MR--that's huge.

#79039 - 08/04/10 05:26 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
randuf Offline

Loc: Calimesa, CA
My husband & I have been making an annual climb up Whitney for years, & for me, the anticipation of smelling those sky pilots is what keeps me going back, even tho' we're getting pretty old to still be doing this!

#79130 - 08/07/10 05:33 AM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
Tracie B Offline

Thanks Dave It was an unplanned event, and I just gotlucky on all counts...I wont do it solo againj

#79183 - 08/10/10 05:49 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
That's one of the main pleasures this time of year, finding those hidden pockets of Sky Pilots amongst the granite.

It's an anachronism that can parallel our own solo adventures: finding this healthy, living and beautiful organism thriving amidst the towers and the sky, seemingly alone but actually at peace and radiating its joy.

Good job on the solo. (And that brings another quote to mind: Never say never. wink )

#79215 - 08/11/10 09:18 PM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Jeff M]
Tracie B Offline

Originally Posted By AxeMan

It's an anachronism that can parallel our own solo adventures: finding this healthy, living and beautiful organism thriving amidst the towers and the sky, seemingly alone but actually at peace and radiating its joy.

That's a really nice quote...you're giving MC some competition smile

#79680 - 08/27/10 03:25 AM Re: In Pursuit of Polemonium [Re: Tracie B]
JamesL Offline

Loc: California
Tracie,

Great photos and great to hear about the final 400 solo! Awesome, isn't it? Solo trips do hold those memory-etching moments, sights and sounds, and flowers!

Jeff, definitely well put (bowing humbly). smile

Take care you all, see you on the mountain.

James

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine