Mt. Whitney Webcam 2

Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#78571 - 07/21/10 11:42 PM Women and climbing.
CindyAbbott Offline

Loc: Irvine, California
I saw this forum and was intrigued by this phase (I do not know who wrote it or when).

[color:#000099]"I am convinced over the years women have a different approach to summiting Whitney and with your input can share "that special knowledge"for other women to consider."[/color]

I believe there are two different topics here.
1. Mental
2. Physical

Yes there are certain "issues" that women have to manage: especially when on multi-day/week/month hikes or climbs.

When I took up big mountain climbing (that is what I like to call it blush) I wondered why there was no information on how other females had dealt with these things.

And finding equipment to fit my size and shape is almost impossible! I think the manufactures need to open their eyes and see that more females are hiking and climbing.

I have to go now but will come back later and add my two-cents worth on the "mental" issue.

#78754 - 07/27/10 09:32 PM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: CindyAbbott]
CindyAbbott Offline

About those certain "issues" that women have to manage: especially when on multi-day/week/month hikes or climbs

Gentlemen do not shy away because you may know a female who might benefit from your knownledge in this area.

Ladies:
Having a menstrual period during a hike or climb can be a major pain for many reasons - I do not need to explain. There is, however, a solution.

Contraceptives such as birth control pills can be used continuously. This will allow you to control when you have your period. Seasonale is an example of a prepackaged three-month birth control system. Or you can ask your doctor to prescribe extra pills. I was on birth control continuously - so I never had a period to deal with.

Of course this must be done with your's doctor approval and not everyone can take oral contraceptives.

Anyone else tried this?

#78765 - 07/28/10 02:53 AM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: CindyAbbott]
CMC Offline

Loc: Colorado
Years ago when I (a male) coached Women's Cross Country and Track Distance runners several used the methods you mention to prepare for high level competition. They changed their cycles to fit the calendar when important meets were scheduled. This was 30 years or so ago and I am sure that there are better pills this day and age to assist women athletes.

I have found that altitude tends to change "normal" cycles and anyone backpacking or climbing at high altitudes should be prepared for these sudden changes.

#78792 - 07/29/10 12:27 AM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: CindyAbbott]
Tracie B Offline

Loc: Behind the Orange Curtain, Cal...
Originally Posted By CindyAbbott

I believe there are two different topics here.
1. Mental
2. Physical

I have to go now but will come back later and add my two-cents worth on the "mental" issue.

Most of my physical issues stem from the mental ones crazy Other than that, and bad knees now....no issues for me... smile

#78805 - 07/29/10 02:48 AM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: Tracie B]
Bee Offline

Loc: Northern Ca
After a short stint in the IDF, I learned quickly that we were all just soldiers -- men and women alike -- indistinguishable in our ability to carry out the mission. I try to take that attitude with me whatever the endeavor is, so that the minor physical differences between equally fit men & women are soon forgotten....and I do many pull-ups, push-ups & sit ups so to support by my theory.

B

#78814 - 07/29/10 01:52 PM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: Bee]
wingding Offline

Loc: Redlands, CA
Originally Posted By Bee
After a short stint in the IDF, I learned quickly that we were all just soldiers -- men and women alike -- indistinguishable in our ability to carry out the mission. I try to take that attitude with me whatever the endeavor is, so that the minor physical differences between equally fit men & women are soon forgotten....and I do many pull-ups, push-ups & sit ups so to support by my theory.

B

Well said - thank you!

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/

#78817 - 07/29/10 04:25 PM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: Bee]
CindyAbbott Offline

Originally Posted By Bee
-- men and women alike -- indistinguishable in our ability to carry out the mission. I
B

I feel the same way! In fact, I believe there is some research suggesting that females may be stronger mentally. That is what I was referring to, but I had not yet posted - I was trying to find the study.

I have never felt that I could not do something because I am female. In fact, when I climb big mountains I believe that I have an advantage over males.

#79063 - 08/05/10 05:52 AM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: CindyAbbott]
snowlush Offline

yup, i do it on surf trips for obvious reasons.

#79540 - 08/23/10 04:19 PM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: snowlush]
madeintahoe Offline

Loc: S. Lake Tahoe/Meyers, Ca.
To everyone please be careful when taking birth control pills and going to higher altitude to stop your period from starting while out on an adventure.

I had a incident happen to me in 2001, I took them so I would not start my period while I was on a 8 day backpacking trip, the highest I went to on that trip was a bit over 13K but we slept at around 11K...during the trip I was fine. When I got back home the next day all I wanted to do was sleep, I felt like I was not getting enough air to breath like, was very tired..I went to urgent care they did a EKG and all was okay..the quack doctor wanted to give me anti-anxiety medicine because he told me he thought I was having anxiety attacks. I then went to a cardiologist, at this time I was feeling better, she checked me out, told me I have a perfectly healthy heart..I told her I took birth control pills to stop my period and was at high altitude..she then tells me..well you are very lucky, because you took birth control pills it sounds like it caused a blood clot and luckily just dissolved itself which she says a lot of times they do. She told me that taking birth control pills and going to a higher altitude it can sometimes cause blood clots.

I know everyone is different and just because it happen to me, does not mean it will happen to you..I just felt it impotant to share this here..If anyone is wondering what age I was when this happen, I was 42.. had never had any issues at altitude before,I had taken them a few times before to stop my period but it was on a Grand Canyon trip and not at altitude.

Hope this helps some!
Take care everyone!

#79606 - 08/24/10 11:54 PM Re: Women and climbing. [Re: madeintahoe]
tif Offline

Loc: colton, ca
Originally Posted By madeintahoe
To everyone please be careful when taking birth control pills and going to higher altitude to stop your period from starting while out on an adventure.

I had a incident happen to me in 2001, I took them so I would not start my period while I was on a 8 day backpacking trip, the highest I went to on that trip was a bit over 13K but we slept at around 11K...during the trip I was fine. When I got back home the next day all I wanted to do was sleep, I felt like I was not getting enough air to breath like, was very tired..I went to urgent care they did a EKG and all was okay..the quack doctor wanted to give me anti-anxiety medicine because he told me he thought I was having anxiety attacks. I then went to a cardiologist, at this time I was feeling better, she checked me out, told me I have a perfectly healthy heart..I told her I took birth control pills to stop my period and was at high altitude..she then tells me..well you are very lucky, because you took birth control pills it sounds like it caused a blood clot and luckily just dissolved itself which she says a lot of times they do. She told me that taking birth control pills and going to a higher altitude it can sometimes cause blood clots.

I know everyone is different and just because it happen to me, does not mean it will happen to you..I just felt it impotant to share this here..If anyone is wondering what age I was when this happen, I was 42.. had never had any issues at altitude before,I had taken them a few times before to stop my period but it was on a Grand Canyon trip and not at altitude.

Hope this helps some!
Take care everyone!

A 'side effect' of b/c pills alone can be blood clots, so it may or may not have had anything to do with being at altitude. But it is definitely something good to keep in mind! thanks for sharing!

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine
Elev. 3,727’