Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51019 - 07/25/08 06:04 PM Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures
Anonymous
Unregistered

The long awaited Whitney Portal Hostel is now open, on Main Street in Lone Pine.

For reservations, call: 760-876-0030
The address is 238 S. Main Street

Here are pictures from the Whitney Portal Hostel, from the grand opening night.

Doug Sr. and Moose Tracks Laura

Left to right: Bob (Bob R), Sheila, Laura (Moose Tracks), Jack (Whitneyn1), Betsy, Sara

Some Guy with Doug Sr.

Kurt Wedberg: "Now where was that trail???"

A room:

#51220 - 07/30/08 09:20 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictu [Re: ]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
I just wanted to chime in and say that the Hostel is remarkable---both for its deluxe accommodations and for the price. We were fortunate to stay there Saturday and Sunday and it was perfect. (Nice to see Cherida able to work in air conditioned comfort and not have to swat mosquitoes or say for the billionth time: "No, we don't have a bathroom here" like at the store.)

My only concern is that getting reservations will soon be harder than getting into the Whitney lottery. Maybe not.

Great job Doug & Co!

#52341 - 08/24/08 08:14 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictu [Re: Jeff M]
Richard M Offline

Loc: Los Alamitos, CA
Does anyone run a shuttle service between the hostel and the portal? Just seems like such a service would get lots of customers, as parking at the portal is kind of tight in peak season, and you have to worry about bears.

#56072 - 11/22/08 01:51 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: ]
Phreak Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Can anyone post information about the amenities, prices, etc for the hostel?

#56075 - 11/22/08 03:49 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Phreak]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Can anyone post information about the amenities, prices, etc for the hostel?

Check the other thread in this forum: Hostel opening July 12,2008

#63727 - 06/23/09 04:55 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: ]
mpmoody Offline

Loc: alamo ca, usa
We (3 hikers) stayed there Saturday night. The price was great $20/pp, the room was clean and most importantly the staff was very knowledgable about the mountain and routes and conditions, can get that at any other hotel.

Mike Moody

#65551 - 07/23/09 07:38 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: ]
livinwhilealive Offline

Loc: Las Vegas , Nv

How much is it to rent the room at the hostel per night?

" What one man can do ,another man can do " ,
Or Women !

#68914 - 10/04/09 02:21 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictu [Re: ]
backpackerchick Offline

Loc: california
This place ROCKS! The best thing about it is DOUG and Earlene! Amazing hospitality and a great source of expertise on the region! More like a lodge than a hostel! Fantastic.

#74611 - 04/01/10 07:51 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: ]
thenine Offline

Loc: san diego, CA
how do you make reservations / book a room?

#78324 - 07/14/10 10:52 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: ]
ICUwarrior Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
What a great place to stay!!! The staff was excellent, helpful and had answers to all of our questions. We were there for our climb on the weekend of July 10-12, 2010. Doug...AWESOME JOB!!! Thank you so much. BTW..we all four made it to the top on the 12th! Some of us will be back.

#90739 - 06/01/12 03:28 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
One More Hike Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Is it still possible to grab a shower at the hostel if you're not a guest? If so, how much is the shower and is a towel provided?

#91167 - 06/22/12 05:43 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: One More Hike]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Originally Posted By One More Hike
Is it still possible to grab a shower at the hostel if you're not a guest? If so, how much is the shower and is a towel provided?

Yes, $5.00, and yes!! It's a great service!!

#91341 - 07/04/12 07:47 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: + @ti2d]
Fry Offline

Loc: Germany
Is it neccessary to book a room for mid september or is there enough vacancy to just get there and grab a room?

#95408 - 06/15/13 10:23 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Fry]
konglong Offline

Loc: Germany
Does anyone run a shuttle service between the hostel and the [url=http://mmo4k.com/wow-gold-kaufen-4/WoW-Gold-kaufen-5/][/url] portal? J

Edited by konglong (06/15/13 10:23 AM)

#95797 - 07/14/13 10:25 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
Krishna. Offline

Loc: Woodridge, IL
Doug:
I need to leave a bag of my fresh cloths to wait for my return after JMT hike to be picked up on Aug 30th for which date I already booked dorm bed at the hostel. Can I leave it at the hostel for the 3 wk duration? That is from Aug 5th thru 30th. I can keep the bag locked with my name tag etc on it. I appreciate the help.
Krishna

#95815 - 07/15/13 06:07 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Krishna.]
Mountain Ginger Offline

Loc: Arrowbear Lake California
A big thank you to Mora for putting up with our room switching around, trying to accommodate our large group and my indecisiveness..

#96808 - 10/20/13 11:04 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Mountain Ginger]
DobeMom Offline

Loc: Palmdale, CA
We'll be in town around 9. Look for you then :)

#97684 - 04/06/14 03:38 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: DobeMom]
Akichow Offline

Loc: Confluence of the Sac and Am R...
Looks like the hostel changed its pet policy. If I am reading correctly, only two rooms are pet friendly and there is a small charge. :(

#97719 - 04/14/14 07:40 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Akichow]
m.c. reinhardt Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
"Looks like the hostel changed its pet policy. If I am reading correctly, only two rooms are pet friendly and there is a small charge." Akichow

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oh

#97914 - 05/23/14 01:25 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: m.c. reinhardt]
Davey McCoy Offline

Loc: United States
Hi all..

Come check out the newly renovated Hostel..

New remodel to most of the rooms.. New carpet, paint, and some have been renovated to be hotel style rooms. We have 6 rooms with queen size beds, double beds, for those of you want to have a private room or want to share a bed…

We have added a new bunk room on the first level that has 7 new bunks and sleeps fourteen, and this can be rented to larger groups as well..

We have a total of five bunk rooms.. Bunk rooms vary in size, sleeping up to 14 in a room and as few as 4 per room.. all rooms are available for private bookings as well..

New rates.. $25.00 + tax for bunk beds in shared rooms per person…

Private Hotel rooms for walk in quest are $85.00 + tax per night , advance reservations to hold a room are $100.00 + tax per night..

Private bunk rooms that sleep four are 85.00 per night..

For all you pet owners , we still have two rooms we offer for pets, with a small $5.00 charge. They are the two down stairs rooms so that there is quick and easy access to the outdoors!

New in the lobby this year we have added a full gear shop: from ice tools, to climbing gear, to a full run of mountaineering boots, with several items from Black Diamond, Alpina shoes, Altra Shoes, and Adidas. We also have Mountain Equipment, Berghaus clothing, Rab clothing , Lowe Alpine backpacks, Kahtoola Microspikes, and great socks! We also rent Crampons, ice axes, bear canisters and mountain bikes, with a big focus on trail foods for your pack, Hydration supplements, etc..

We hope you all enjoy !

Davey and Tracy..

Edited by Davey McCoy (05/23/14 01:27 PM)

#97963 - 05/31/14 11:59 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Davey McCoy]
tollermom Offline

Loc: Carson City, NV
We stayed in the private rooms at the hotel. Front and center views of Whitney from our front door. Dave and Tracey were super nice, spending extra time to direct us to trails off Horseshoe meadows. Loved the room so much, I canceled my Dow reservation in July and booked again for my Whitney climb! :grin:

#97988 - 06/07/14 12:48 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: tollermom]
Davey McCoy Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks for the kind words and support.. Look forward to seeing you in July….

Dave and Tracy

#100102 - 07/24/15 12:08 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
NoUglyOneYet Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
We've never had the pleasure of staying at the Hostel, but for three years running now, have very much enjoyed the $5 showers before heading home! It's the best 5 bucks I've ever spent: as much hot water as I want, a towel, and even little travel-sized shampoo if I need it. And the clerks are always very friendly and helpful. Fabulous!

#100202 - 08/07/15 10:17 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: NoUglyOneYet]
boilerdam Offline

Loc: California
First time I've ever slept in a hostel (ever!). This is awesome. The Portal Hostel is very clean (I'm a stickler for hygiene and cleanliness).

I stayed 1 night on 8/5 before a day hike up Whitney and booked a bed in a 11-bed dorm. It was great and all the other people were super-considerate to each other.

The advantage with such "hiking" hostels is that you bump into a lot of like-minded people. Up until I turned in for the night, we had some great discussions about everyone's hiking adventures. Also, since everyone is either hiking the next day or just returned from long backpacks, lights out was at 10pm :) No late night parties or shouting matches!

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

#100282 - 08/21/15 11:09 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
GraceD Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Hello Friends! Your website is not working at all for hostel reservations. Poor Alex at the front desk of the hostel had no choice but to book our rooms over the phone. He kindly reserved two queen bed rooms for my hiking buddy and me in October. This may have been against some rules, but Alex's wise executive decision was an act of exemplary customer service and I am very grateful.

Be well! Looking forward to doing the trail October 5 to 7th!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’