Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#106040 - 04/15/24 05:06 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
socaljohnson Offline

Loc: san diego
Thank you, Doug. Where is the best place to view the recent reports and any updates?

#106041 - 04/15/24 07:31 AM Re: 2024 [Re: socaljohnson]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
We are next to the trailhead and talk with hikers coming down all the time also we are in the weather , not just a I think it is.. and others that come down will post on here.

Follow the webcam for snow coverage and review the time lapse option and look at the view n/s will give you a good idea of snow condition for the east side

This site goes back over 20 years and has thousands of photos /reports.

#106046 - 04/20/24 07:14 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL

My wife and I are planning to do the JMT again this year but want to start at Cottonwood Lakes, summit Langley, and then continue onto Whitney and the JMT via the Sand Hill to Discovery Pinnacle. Late July start date.

There is a really good post here http://www.mountwhitneyforum.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=49311 on a route, but unfortunately being 16 years old the pictures no longer work.

I know people have done this route recently, but any accounts from folks on here? How bad is the Sand Hill?

Is there any camping closer to Crabtree Pass on the south side as opposed to staying down at Sky Blue Lake? Is it too exposed?

#106047 - 04/20/24 08:27 AM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
https://piotrowski.smugmug.com/California-Mountains/Mount-Whitney/HM-Whitney-Portal-091209

That's one album that will show some photos...There are many others as heading thru the Mitre Basin is one of my Sierra favorites (although I haven't been doing much beyond Whit and TP/CP Loop recently...)

We only had day packs...but, I think the Dreaded Sand Hill is over-rated in difficulty...I just stay at a pace that doesn't have me redline and enjoy the views (look down...) Oh, and don't start too late up so you don't get baked by the sun...

#106048 - 04/20/24 08:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Philxor,

Just south of Crabtree Pass I like to camp at either of two tarns well above Lake 12129. From these tarns, a fifteen minute hike takes one to Crabtree Pass.

A couple of times I have done the traverse below Mt McAdie that Kashcraft learned about from Bob R. It avoids any significant loss in elevation to get to the other side, but I had only a 14 lb pack. I would not have attempted it if starting the JMT with a full load.

If you drop to the Upper Crabtree Lake from Crabtree Pass, when you approach the lake outlet, you can then determine if going up the Sandhill will work for you specifically. If not, just go down the lakes and wrap around to start your approach of Whitney from the Hitchcock Lakes or Guitar Lake. (Again, I have only done the Sandhill from the outlet with a minimal pack).

The Miter Basin is a gem. It seems so remote, yet is only a few miles from Whitney Portal. Enjoy!

Jim

#106049 - 04/21/24 04:14 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL
Thanks very much for the pictures and the pointers.

Langley and exploring the Miter Basin are the two drivers. We left from Cottonwood Pass last year due to snow conditions and would like to see more of that area.

Glad to hear the two tarns have decent camping, as we'd like to tackle the Sand Hill and Whitney as early as possible in the morning. That will be the start of day 3 and we are resupplying in OV. We aren't super UL but hopefully are in the 25lb range.

We are also planning a couple routes like you mentioned, if the Sand Hill doesn't work for us with the full packs we'll take the more route around.

#106050 - 04/22/24 04:00 AM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Richard P. Offline

I found this (read the intro...):
https://piotrowski.smugmug.com/California-Mountains/Mount-Whitney/Mt-Whitney-August-21-2009
while looking for the album from a trip with Shin over Mt. Irvine...down into the Miter Basin, around to Crabtree Meadow and up Whitney.

I wasn't able to locate the album, so maybe Shin can chime in with his...

BTW, that was a HIGHLIGHT TRIP...including an invitation to have dinner with Rob Pilewski (SEKI Ranger) at Crabtree...

#106051 - 04/22/24 06:45 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

#106052 - 04/22/24 07:32 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
I found the album of 2010. I picked up several picture of each activity of 2010, so the album is big. The trip Richard was talking about was 09/03/2010-09/06/2010. It an old album but the mountains haven't changed much. The hike was one of the most memorable hikes ever in good (adventurous cross-country hike) and bad (unable to adjust high elevation).

Doug Sr. suggested that climbing up Mt. Irvine then, hike down to Miter basin.... (Later we thought Doug tricked us. It wasn't easy hike. It was a very challenge hike.) Richard plan was camp near Grass Lake on Maysan trail, next day Mt. Irvine, Green pass, near Mt. Mallory, down to Miter basin and camp, next day cross-country hike to Crabtree pass down to Crabtree campground, next day hike up to Mt. Whitney then down to Whitney portal.

My highlights of the trip.
1)I met Mr. Jim F. very first time in person on the ridge of Mt. Irvine. I was honored to meet him.
2)The scenery was beyond my imagination.
3)I suffered the altitude sickness, couldn't eat or drink.
One lady hiker offered me an orange at Crabtree campground. I survived on one orange rest of my hike. Richard had a nice hot meal with a ranger while I was dying... He knew everyone there.
Giga Mike told me at Grass Lake that my pack was heavier than his winter pack. I was carrying too much food. I was totally inexperienced on long high-altitude hike.
4)I took a long nap at the Trail Crast while Richard hiked up the Whitney summit.
5)Richard came down with Rick G. They were so fast.
6)I experienced the real experienced hiker's, Richard P., abilities (hiking endurance and conditioning, navigational knowledge and skills, hiking efficiencies, and calmness) in real situations.
7)I met many really experienced hikers from this trip.

This album contains many interesting events of WPSMB took place a long time ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6mvZMPJT8dq6xfCp9

#106065 - 04/25/24 06:10 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jeff M]
Doug Sr Offline

Several updates first snow is clearing on the south facing slopes , still snow starting long before Lone Pine Lake. Warm days at the Portal reaching near 60 degrees mid day , Gate still closed at the overflow lot and last weekend cars parked down to the turn to the campground.
Many going up the north fork to ski but getting soft early and lower canyon done for the season.

We plan to open about the same time as the Campground if the roads are open , that could be May 2 food service starting that Saturday May 4 if water is up and running with the test results back .

Hey check the webcam! Thor is melting and I can see the switchback area is starting to look like rock showing , still will be weeks before clear but at least not like last year.

#106071 - 04/27/24 09:43 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Brett Williams Offline

Loc: LA, CA
@Doug Sr, do you think a May 10 summit is possible?

#106072 - 04/27/24 07:08 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Brett Williams]
Doug Sr Offline

Brett it will be a snow hike with sluch and ice depends on time of day and elevation. Backside past trailcrest should be mostly clear but I would expect drifts in the shadows and these can be icy.
Not sure if this is a day hike or several days , day hike with these condition will be slow and lower portion will get you wet as walking in soft snow that is melting and the trail will have running water down the trail, this will most likely freeze overnight so coming down during the night will be slower than going up. Above 12,000 trailcamp area the trail will not be melted out and a hike up the snow field is used , this area is about a Blue Ski run steep but not that bad when it is soft , trouble is this area can freeze over late afternoon and can be a problem coming down So understanding the time frame , when conditins change for example one wants to travel the lower section early to stay on the top of the snow following a track, then reach the upper area when the sun has softened up the slope, back down before it can ice and trudge the lowwer section in the sluch.
I always say go until you have reached you comfort level and enjoy the mountain .
I should add many will tell you "BUY GEAR" I always say if you haven't used the item or had training using the gear it could trick you into an unsafe position.

#106074 - 04/28/24 12:24 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
ComradeBear Offline

Loc: California, USA
Has anybody recently been on or received info regarding the status of the snow bridges on the North Fork? Looking for status of lower canyon, between LBSL and UBSL, and the final 400. Any information is helpful!

#106075 - 04/28/24 04:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Brett Williams Offline

Loc: LA, CA
so helpful! thank you.

We have a 1 day permit, and plan to leave around midnight or 1am to make it up and down as early as possible. we are all experienced hikers in altitude and in good shape. we feel its possible if we get the conditions right. this is helpful! thank you!

will post an update once we do it!

#106078 - Yesterday at 07:03 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Brett Williams]
SydneyLouWho Offline

Loc: NY,NY
We are hoping to backpack (3 days/2 nights) May 14-16 depending on conditions! Would love to hear how the trail is for you May 10th!

If some of the heavy snow thats been popping in and out of the forecast materializes we will most likely bail on Whitney (sad) and attempt Kings Peak in Utah instead! A bit of a last minute judgement call on our part since we'll be flying in from the East Coast

#106079 - Yesterday at 10:40 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Tgt Offline

Loc: California
How is the trails and mountain looking? I have a two day permit to climb June 4th. Is it looking like the snow is going to be sticking around till then?

#106081 - Yesterday at 11:56 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Tgt]
RunningKoi Offline

Loc: Chicago
First timer here, day trip, planning summit on July 1st. same question, how are the trails, I know it is bit early but anyone knows it is a good snow year or a bad one? Or is it too early to say? Trying to figure out if I'd need trail crampons on 99 switchbacks or elsewhere on the trail.

#106082 - Yesterday at 12:16 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
AFM Offline

Loc: RIO VISTA, CA
Thanks Doug Sr.,

We attempted last summer but the conditions stopped us. Coming back on Aug 31 this year for an multi day attempt. Hopefully we will have better conditions this year.

Question - are the switchbacks in the large snow field just to the left of center in the wide angle web cam? Mt. Muir peak is just peeking out at right side of the snow field. It looks like there are switchbacks just starting to show as the snow melts.

Al and Marcia M

#106083 - Yesterday at 04:06 PM Re: 2024 [Re: AFM]
Doug Sr Offline

The snoewfield is on the east face of Thor (12,000') so we use that as a way to watch the melt, as we drive the road into the canyon about 1 mile before the main campground we can see about 2/3 thirds of the 97 switchbacks , they are showing rock now but will need at least another month to be clear, once a track is put in many will be able to use the switchbacks before they are snow free.

I posted on my facebook page (Doug Thompson or Whitney Portal Store) a picture of the problem area of the switchbacks ( at the cable area ) at the start of the cables you see the bent over post , ice and snow and the trail looks like it ends just past the last post, the area is always in the shade , a natural seep so always wet and can hold ice year round some years. The trail makes a 180 degree turn up and left some years this requires a short climb 4-6 feetto join the trail above.

August you will be fine and with several days the trip should be very easy, I hint staying at Outpost , you can then do tghe summit with a lite day pack , sleep agian at Outpost and walk out the third morning. You save carrying your pack weight about 4 miles and this gives you another day to adjust to the elevation.

#106084 - Yesterday at 06:36 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

I was supposed to be on Whitney today, but I've found that as an Old Geezer, 2 hard days in-a-row doesn't work anymore...especially since I don't even seem to be willing to try...(I had overnight gear, climbing gear and food, but when I got back to the car, I called the wife to tell her I was coming home.)

Putting it in writing...I'm going to try and make Trail Camp tomorrow...if I do, I'll do my usual post with a bunch of photos...

Does the WPS have a firm opening date yet?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’