Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#105852 - 01/11/24 06:34 PM 2024
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Well several systems each week but not much snow . High winds so drifting , very cold nights but we are warm several hours during the day if no wind.

Working outside in town since we closed so very lucky we can work in summerware at best Mall clothing for the chill at 7 AM.

#105853 - 01/11/24 08:50 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
There's been plenty of spindrift showing up on the webcam...but it doesn't look like much new snow...I saw -22 on one of the Sierra Sensors the other day...I'd rather sit in front of a fire than deal with those conditions...

The COLD passing thru town cracked a couple of sections of 50+ years-old pipes at home...Repair man is dealing with a CF of random $417 on day 2...you'd think I live on a hundred acre ranch with all the valves, that seem to control nothing, but are now leaking profusely when we try to power up the pumps...

#105854 - 01/12/24 07:36 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Water and cold , we always watch for nights that may hit 15 degrees for hours then we open a tap to keep a flow but on dead end lines luck is the main protection, smaller the line the greater the risk . Another headache was the old PVC glue and joins not fusing , we have found line just spread apart at the joints from the expansion. Good luck

#105855 - 01/12/24 09:40 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Angel Offline

Loc: California
Hi.

My partner and I are planning to attempt to summit Mt Whitney this weekend (January 13-15) through the Mountaineer’s route. Do you have some inside info about the avalanche hazards and the road conditions. Any

#105856 - 01/13/24 07:14 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Angel]
Doug Sr Offline

Road is posted closed,some drive up to second gate and park but storms can bury your car .Avalanche areas are the road top of first switchback,the north fork (mountaineers route) and off the Whitney face .We have had snow loading for weeks now and high wind so slab condition EXIST. I I don't put much faith in weather forecast,but plan for the worst,wind gust blowing snow and whiteout are vommon6 for this time of the year.Strong experienced climbers would try for a day trip this is based on knowing the route and turning around if ice /drifts / past slides blocking the route.
Gear /weight determines your climb time and finding the route.
Hey post how it goes!

#105857 - 01/15/24 07:07 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Way off topic, but showing the Wisdom/Fount of Knowledge that Doug is...

Originally Posted By Doug Sr
Water and cold , we always watch for nights that may hit 15 degrees for hours then we open a tap to keep a flow but on dead end lines luck is the main protection, smaller the line the greater the risk . Another headache was the old PVC glue and joins not fusing , we have found line just spread apart at the joints from the expansion. Good luck

PVC pipe cracked at repairs/joints...
Galvanized pipe (corroded) and leaking at threads.,,
2 irrigation lines (that haven't been used in years) probably seeping water for years...now shut down.

It's a good thing the Repair Man likes my wife...I'm sure the bill would have been a WHOLE LOT more...

Bucket baths reminded me of being it SE Asia and Nepal/Tibet in the Good Old Days...

#105858 - 01/15/24 02:58 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Angel]
MisterOwl Offline

Angel, I hope you and your partner had a safe trip. I am curious to know how the hiking went this week. I am planning to hike up to the Mountaineers rt in a couple of days. Weather permitting, Ill give it a go up the notch for a summit bid. Any beta on current conditions would be helpful. Thanks

#105859 - 01/18/24 06:21 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Angel Offline

We felt short of the peak since we left a little too late. Still, it was a nice hike. Thanks for the info.

#105864 - 01/22/24 01:01 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Angel]
ermine Offline

Loc: Southern California
Jan 18-19 Mountaineer's Route

Was hoping to take advantage of the nice weather and make a summit attempt. Stopped short of Upper Boy Scout at Clyde's Meadows/Thor Falls due to a mixture of prior commitments and assessing the time needed to summit. Spent the evening and headed back down in the early morning.

Initially tried to hug side of wall past the ledges but turned around quickly and went for the ledges. Ebersbacher Ledges wasn't too bad, a short 5ft icy portion after the tree, the rest was dry/minimal snow.

The snow conditions were mixed unconsolidated, with some solid boot packing. The rocky portions of the route had some snow coverage, and potential for getting a foot stuck in the cracks. Some snow was consolidated enough for a pole with basket but once stepped on you'd fall through.

Spoke with John down at Elevation, apparently two others were going up the same day I was, but I didn't see anyone on the route - two cars were parked past the 2nd gate so there had to be someone or two up there.

With the new system coming in, all the boot pack could be covered up and new adventures for the next people await.

#105865 - 01/22/24 02:44 PM Re: 2024 [Re: ermine]
ermine Offline

Loc: Southern California
Photos seem to not be linking correctly in previous post
Trying with a different host...

#105866 - 01/25/24 06:29 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

A little more useful information (at least until the next (major) storm...

OUTPOST CAMP SNOW HIKE/SNOWSHOE - 01.24.2024

Road Conditions: Road Closed Sign up...I was going to recommend caution as there were some sections of snow/ice on the lower part of the road, but by 5:30pm, it was gone. Rode the motorcycle up to within a mile of the WPS (where continuous snow started). Car tracks and a snowmobile track up to the Portal...NO GATES LOCKED yet.

I'd probably be exaggerating if I said there was 2" of new snow...
But, there were drifts up to 30+"...(How the heck does that happen?)

I went up the Old Trail to the Main Trail up to Outpost Camp...
Encountered rain, sleet, snow and a bit of spindrift...

It was a gloomy day, so the photo quality is poor...

Log Crossing...

Whitney Zone...

I've got a birthday coming up and I've never made the summit of Whitney on my birthday...I keep seeing a bare Thor Peak in the Webcam...I think I would rather have the Winter turn severe, but if it doesn't, I'll be spending some time wearing in tracks towards the top...I'd really rather do a North Side trip up-and-over Whitney/Russell, with a climb of the West Face (my guess is it's barren/wind blown), but don't want to deal with a heavy pack and snowy/icy E-Ledges...

#105867 - 01/25/24 03:34 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

ermine and Richard,

Thanks for the conditions reports with photos. One gets the impression that the amount of snow along these two approaches (at least below 11,000') is hardly overwhelming.

Maybe in 2024 there will be an early start to the usual hiking season? Watching carefully how things play out the next couple months.

Jim

#105868 - 01/28/24 07:47 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
BiletChick Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Richard, the quality of your photos are NEVER "poor" !!! I'd say that 11 out of 10 are keepers! ;-)

#105871 - 01/29/24 09:48 PM Re: 2024 [Re: BiletChick]
Richard P. Offline

TRAIL CAMP SNOW HIKE/SNOWSHOE - 01.29.2024

This hike was supposed to happen last Friday - Nope, too tired...
This hike was supposed to happen last Saturday - Nope, oops, other commitments...
This hike was supposed to happen Sunday - Canceled a climb of Baldy with Shin, but didn't wake up on time...
Finally got out of bed early enough...rode to McD's in Lone Pine for breakfast...
Was planning on riding around the WP Rd damage...BUT, they are working to repair the road... :-)

Still a good track to Outpost Camp...
The trail gets considerably harder higher...
When I passed Mirror Lake and climbed up to the ridge (decent boot track, but DEEP...), I traversed left off of the "trail" and put in a track direct to Consultation Lake and up the gully to Trail Camp...

Fantastic Day...had to be 50 up at Trail Camp...no wind...considering the conditions, I was amazed to make it in 5 hours...

Looking up from Trail Camp, my strategy would be to head up the Old Trail (some exposed) and do the Direct to Trail Crest via Doug's Rib and snowshoe the rest...

There is so much spin on the Switchbacks, I don't think they'd go without a lot of work and risk...

OFF COURSE, NONE OF THIS MATTERS IF THE THURSDAY/FRIDAY STORM COMES IN...Being optimistic, last time they were calling up to 16 and not even 2 fell...

Here are some photos:

Parked near the Meysan Trialhead.

If you happen to go up and see this...left was down, right was up...left is more direct, but steeper...And yes, snowshoes made the trip a whole lot easier...

Oh, BTW, there was enough WHOOMPING that if there were more snow on Candlelight and Irvine, I'd have been ******* my pants...

#105872 - 01/30/24 09:52 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Richard, I just don't know how you do this, even alone. Amazing!!! Way beyond my capabilities, or just thinking about it.

Thanks for ALL the pictures and the trail reports.

I'll have to work up a payment plan with Doug this summer.

paul

#105874 - 01/30/24 02:55 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Richard,

Awesome outing and photos (ranking: 12 out of a possible 10!). The snow coverage on the route from the ridge above Mirror Lake to Consultation Lake and beyond looks like it did in June and July of 2023. It's late January and, indeed, Doug's Rib is certainly visible.

Question from me (who has very minimal snow shoe experience): With sparse snow coverage between the ridge above Mirror Lake and Trail Camp, was punching through into rocks below a real concern in the current conditions? Also, is it currently possible to get water from the Spring in Bighorn Park (just before Outpost Camp)?

Thanks, Jim

#105875 - 01/30/24 03:56 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By Jim F
Richard,

Question from me (who has very minimal snow shoe experience): With sparse snow coverage between the ridge above Mirror Lake and Trail Camp, was punching through into rocks below a real concern in the current conditions? Also, is it currently possible to get water from the Spring in Bighorn Park (just before Outpost Camp)?

Thanks, Jim

I was going to mention it...water at Rockwell's Finest (I almost always stop at that spring to take some water home.) I put 3L in my pack on the way up yesterday...water is still running at the end of Outpost Camp and water is still running at the Mirror Lake outlet.

I was crossing and crunching thru to rock on the climb up to Trail Camp. I've been "testing" a pair of Decathlon snowshoes that I got on clearance for $50, so I don't really care if I damage them. They seem to be holding up to the abuse.

If I go up again, the MSR's will be going with me...they have better edges for traction on all terrain and have a heel lift that really helps to take the strain off your calves on steep terrain.

Thanks.

BTW, you guys probably know that I like naming things...Bob was giving me a "lecture" on water in the Sierra and told me the story of how the FS used to do backcountry water testing on a regular basis. He told me that they quit testing that spring because they never got any negative on water from it. I've been calling it Rockwell's Finest ever since...

#105876 - 01/31/24 08:08 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Great report Richard The perfect snow shoe is 7 feet long 4 feet wide with the attached railroad iron to drag as a brake! Ya but... I have and they work great,the shoe depends on the snow condition and the slope angle notice these condition change by the hour . I tend to be a cruster wait until a firm surface has formed and hope to stay on top .
I found a pair of running shoes that worked well but would throw a whiteout over your head with each step back was soaked shortly, one shoe has an extention on the back to help when soft snow is traveled my hought is to correct the oversight on the design.
Last winter I fell into a well with the shoes on , very soft powder I was down about 4-5 feet , my first thought OK this will be easy just get the shoes /shoe off and boot kick in a ladder , How do you get the shoe off? This took about 20 minutes to get one shoe off then I could make the ladder after regaining forward travel a 5 PM dinner date with family I took all the short cuts down the steep areas shoes on again recalling from the past Oh shoot sometimes you fall because of the speed and the shoes somehow don't keep up, after about the 5th fall shoes off and hit the road using the track.
I like winter and snow travel! Oh the woomp , snow build up and pressure moving down slope, also at times you may see a ripple /ridge on the surface near the bottom of a slope , always avoid runout areas and narrow canyons . The surface on the slopes are icy crusts and any new snow can set up avalance conditions.

#105877 - 01/31/24 11:52 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Tree wells.....
I now remember (fondly) the time I fell in a tree well with snowshoes on...1st thing was take the pack off (not to make me lighter) so I could get to SPOT in case I couldn't get my foot free...(similar experience to the bike in the mud bog when Hillary came through...)

A couple of shovels to keep the bike upright and a come-along to slowly pull the bike out of the bog...I pulled the 75 lbs. battery (black thing in the background) out before starting the rescue...put it back in and the bike ran...it was a few miles of walking from the truck and trailer back to retrieve the ATV...The previous day, I was stuck to the crotch next to the bike...Oh, and it was something like 4 1/2 miles (mud-packed and heavy) to where my wife could pick me up...she was so concerned that she stopped a Kern County Deputy to let him know she might need his help...

Some describe the Decathlon Snowshoes as "running shoes," but I don't see how something so "cumbersome and heavy" could work while running on snow...

A pair of wide, long, BC skis might work better, but they'd have to be rock skis with the conditions as they existed because they'd get destroyed by the exposed and unexposed rock...

Over the years, I seen a few avalanches off of Candlelight and the peaks around Arc Pass...

And I just remember that there was a pretty large rockfall off of Thor on Monday...

#105878 - 01/31/24 12:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By paul
Richard, I just don't know how you do this, even alone. Amazing!!!
paul

CV19 had me ballooning up to 180+...
I started using Augmented Reality Cycling programs to lose weight...
It wasn't working, so I started watching lots of videos on Nutrition...
Controversial Topic...but I got off of sugar and highly processed food...started limiting fast food to about 1-2 per month...
Dropped into the 130's when my wife left to visit her family for a month...
(In the low 140's now.)

Drs Attia and Milan San Remo (not his real name...I can't remember...) focus on Zone 2 (reminds me of LSD from the old days...)

Morpheus was recommended by Attia...it keeps me from going overboard on the training...

Can't say I'm anywhere near as fast as I used to be and the soreness after these "big" climbs is a real pain to deal with...but what's the alternative...

BTW, can I say I'm sponsored by paul...maybe with one, I can get some more.....:-)

#105879 - 02/02/24 04:35 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Of course. But I am hoping that Doug offers a reward card. You know, buy five and get one free.

Paul

#105880 - 02/05/24 06:01 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Well, the birthday climb this year is doomed...
3+ feet up at Horseshow Meadows...
Prior to the storm, I saw it reported as about 9 inches (consolidated)...
More still falling, I hope...

#105881 - 02/05/24 09:24 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Richard, how low is the snow level? I am waiting for a clear view of Whitney on the cam and the surrounding area. Hopefully soon.

paul

#105882 - 02/05/24 11:21 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

#105883 - 02/05/24 11:41 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

It's clear right now and there's a SL of spin coming off of the crest...

#105884 - 02/05/24 12:17 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
BeachAV8R Offline

Loc: Hot and Humid, Charlotte - NC
I still enjoy lurking and reading your reports and seeing your photos Richard (and others). A big HELLO from the Carolinas. Would like to take my boys out soon and visit...show them what some non-green looking mountains look like.

Hope you are are well.

Chris / BeachAV8R

#105887 - 02/13/24 07:11 PM Re: 2024 [Re: BeachAV8R]
Richard P. Offline

Hiked and snowshoed up past the WPS to the North Fork...

Crossed paths with a guy from Eastern Canada who had made it up to LBSL. He "called it" there as he had a failure of one of his snowshoes.

There were ski tracks in the Old Trail area, but I decided to head back to the Main Trail because the snow was deep enough to make progress really difficult (and there was a known good track on the Main Trail).

Here are a few photos:

Plan was to ride the E-Bike as far as I could up Horseshoe Meadow Road, but this view shows that riding up there would be futile...

There are already patches of pavement...

No tracks on the Main Trail beyond the NF Junction...

#105889 - 02/14/24 04:40 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Thanks Richard...I appreciate your postings, especially of the Portal or Horseshoe Meadows area. It looks like a good dusting of snow at the Portal.

Well, it won't be long before Spring is here. I already have my campground sites for Memorial Weekend. I also have so far, three wilderness permits starting at the end of June, continuing into August.

I will say this, getting a permit is difficult, they are usually gone within a minute or two....Cottonwood Pass or Kearsarge Pass,

The fall back is always, Trail Pass.

Paul

#105890 - 02/14/24 04:44 PM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

I've started participating in the Yosemite Permits Lottery...looking to get a Happy Isle permit.

Hard to believe they're already doing August permits...

#105891 - 02/15/24 11:56 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Mike Darnell Offline

Loc: CA
Wow! Thanks for posting these pictures!

#105892 - 02/15/24 02:13 PM Re: 2024 [Re: BeachAV8R]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By BeachAV8R
I still enjoy lurking and reading your reports and seeing your photos Richard (and others). A big HELLO from the Carolinas. Would like to take my boys out soon and visit...show them what some non-green looking mountains look like.

Hope you are are well.

Chris / BeachAV8R

Man, that's a big mountain...

Sitting here (waiting on a delivery) staring at old photo albums...
We've had some really good times...
Sharing First's...
Hard to believe that was almost 17 years ago...
Get the whole family out here some time for another group climb of Whitney...or just a stroll up to Lone Pine Lake...and a Double Bacon Cheeseburger at the WPS...

#105893 - 02/16/24 07:42 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Lower Boy Scout Lake Attempt - 02.16.2024
======================================

Based on what "Eastern Canada" said the other day, I headed back up past the Portal to the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek (MR)...

The tracks were a little bit high approaching 9k, but I followed them anyway...I could see "Split Rock" maybe 75' downslope...Beyond this, I knew I probably would be wasting time staying high...way too much snow to use the North Side Shortcut...I followed the tracks to their highpoint a bit above 9100'...Like I thought, they ran out...I tried crossing over the creek to the south side, but was "playing Tarzan" when the snow dropped out from under me...! I retreated and did not feel like crossing over at the proper spot, but instead, headed down...

When I exited the NF, I headed across the stream (still no tracks) and put in a track down the Old Trail...

Crossed paths with a group of 3 heading for the MR...spent about 5 minutes warning them about the bogus track and advised them that they probably would have to break trail across the stream and then all to way up to LBSL...

Crossed paths with a Lone Pine Resident who stated he hikes the road every day for exercise...surprised I've never run into him before...

A group of 3 women stopped to ask about the conditions up higher...when I said they were still about 2 miles from the Portal, 2 had cringes on the faces...their Leader had lied about the distance from the Turnout...I told them that if they wanted it that short, they'd need to take Doug's Shortcut (they know Doug) straight up from the Turnout...

After getting back to the car, I went for an e-bike ride down Hogback Road (about a mile of snow) and through the Alabama Hills...

What's the Alabama Trail? Kept seeing signs, but somehow managed to lose the trail, so I headed for pavement back to my car...

Here are some photos:

Plenty more pavement showing...

Tracks headed up towards the North Side Wall...

Dead End...I tried to cross over, but almost went into the creek...

Looking back at the North Fork crossing...

The JM Wilderness Boundary...

You could head past the gate to the first wide section of dirt on the right, but I'd only save you about 5 minutes of walking...

I expected to see quite a few more cars...this being a 4-day weekend for a lot of people...
HS (Weatherman out of Bishop/Mammoth) said there might be 2' of snow down to 6500' by Tuesday...

#105894 - 02/17/24 05:15 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

OK so the short cut from the road closed sign , I guess you gain about 600' and save about 1 1/2-2 miles somewhat steep and a maze of large boulders and slabs start up where the locals sled and work slightly right as you go up ( if you miss the easy area you will cliff out to the south , still doable but will be much harder) .
Old days we had about a 45 minute walk to the store using this shortcut . now using the road it seems somewhat over 2 hours.

I would never suggest coming down this shortcut until you know the route , easy to cliff out or need to down climd large boulders. I call the down route 3 big steps and hope I stop .Without snow the area is very soft sand /dg and one can ski down most of the slope.

As Richard mentioned the North side during the winter only takes you into the trees and tall brush area .The stream is directly below you and if covered a death trap. South side will narrow down and force a stream crossing just above the EB ledges then travel up on the north side to Lower Boyscout lake area , the normal crossing takes you into the boulder field or leg breaker trap. Early season the boulders may be covered but not enough to fill the void around the edges .

I like the north side of the lake till just below the waterfall and then cross over , still boulders and some brush but if you hit the area early and can stay on the crust it works.

Best option is to wait till the guide groups have walked in a path and follow that, The climbers now most often don't know the route and will have tracks all over , the area above LBSL is very often a maze of tracks to nowhere or to the ice climbing area on Thor.

Many will do the route to ski down and some are very seasoned crosscountry types and will skin up a pick a good line , but often steeper than most can hike up .

The lower section works as a filter many will not make it much above LBSL and that is good hike for many without years of winter travel. Getting back down from this area is still another challange and has had fatal accidents on the way down.

The Alabama Hills trail I recall years of walking with different BLM staff and locating different loops and a direct trail from town to the Portal, then I guess we all got tired , the mapping is done but the finishing touches still missing linking several of section unless you know the area. One trail we did going down hill gained 1000' so it was re routed, best option is google earth and you can link all the trails , these are existing trails/old roads and we found the early !900's trail just out of town heading to the Portal, that section if you start at the Kiosk just out of town is easy to follow and link to the arch taril then the single track up to just before Lone Pine Campground then the NRT. I call these the link north to Canada south to Mexico.

#105896 - 02/18/24 03:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

On the Lone Pine local we meet him last year he was up every day
Talked with him this summer and he had shifted for walking to riding and going to Horseshoe Meadow. Interesting guy took a 80 foot falls several years ago,bouncing back now... Very strong hiker quite ,on our third meeting near the Portal he suggested I use the shortcut just above the group site he thought I may be able to save some time. I said I would try it,later he sees us shoveling snow off the roof so would stop and chat for a few minutes.
A hint the short cut after the group campground is the old portal road and part of the old campground.Most return climbers use this path during the winter several steep sections but short walks through the Ravine campground and exists to the lower(overflow parking lot)

#105897 - 02/18/24 04:26 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

I mentioned to him that I take photos of the Store so that you guys can see the snow load without having the come up...He mentioned that he had seen you shoveling the roof last winter...

I looked at both OnX Off Road and Google Maps...The both show Upper Alabama Hills Trail that ends at Movie Road near the Arch Trail...

In the lower portion of the AH, they both show a "The Horse Trail" that leads up from the Visitor's area...

Also, the Arch Trail is off-limits to "vehicles," so I'd interpret that to mean no bikes, etc...

#105898 - 02/18/24 09:50 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

At the arch trail head the hiking trail drops into a wash,you will see 2-3 trails the faint right trail heads to the arch the rock lined center trail is the hiking trail to the arch just left of center trail is the single tract that heads north joining a series of roads/ more single track and can get you to Bishop and beyond by linking these trails roads together. Taking the single track west you loop around the hills and can come out on the Portal Road just above The last house check if the bridge is still there .

#105899 - 02/21/24 07:57 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Headed up the road again today...

Lots of pavement showing, but the snow that hasn't melted is pretty deep.

It took about 2 hours to get to the Portal...
Then about 4 to get to the Log Crossing...
9+ hours for the round trip.

I put tracks in up the Old Trail...
Looked at the NF...No tracks, so I headed up the Main Trail...
Drifts were pretty constant...3 1/2 - 4 feet...It would be impossible without snowshoes or skis...
I followed the trail until I got up near Thor and then took a few really direct lines up to the Cascade below the Logs. .

In the morning, road crews were working Lubken...Talked to the Flagman...No word on when WP Rd will be finished...He said they are working drainage for the canyon right now...

Staying near LP to walk HM Rd tomorrow...I'll post photos tomorrow night or Friday.

#105900 - 02/23/24 12:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Look for the report on Horseshoe Meadows Road...it was a very interesting day...though really tough because of the soreness from the WP Rd snowshoe/hike...

Here are some photos from the 21st:

My guess is 2 weeks without a really cold storm and we'll be able to drive up to the Rockfall Gate...

See what I mean...?

Rockfall Gate...

Log Crossing...

Straight-Lined a lot of the climb...Hopefully, people trust it and just pack it in...I'll probably be up Monday to continue on...feet need a little recovery from 2 days of really hard work...

#105904 - 02/26/24 04:51 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Tire tracks almost to Meysan this afternoon as I was coming down.
A Lexus parked at the first switchback...

I parked way down the road...booted it all the way to the JM Wilderness sign...snowshoed from there to just above Outpost Camp...like the sunshine for my lunch break...Spring conditions on the way down...(with no snowshoes it would be pure hell...)

Wind is howling...was going to try the "Diect From Lone Pine Lake"...snow on Candlelight and Irvine seems stable...

I'm going home...it's supposed to blow even harder tomorrow.

Oh, the Lexus driver must be on the north side...

#105905 - 02/26/24 07:00 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

A few photos:

From this side, the lower Main Trail looked mostly dry...

#105906 - 02/27/24 09:39 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Richard,

Thanks for the photos. As you entered Big Horn Park, your photo of Big Horn Park with Wotans Throne in the background is one of my favorite viewing locations on the Main Trail. As depicted in the foreground in the middle of your photo, my key landmark for the view location (and a photo opportunity) is the broken tree stump with a sharp remainder pointing to the sky. With the colors in the Fall, it makes for a stunning photo.

Jim

#105907 - 02/27/24 01:01 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

As I was heading out of the trees and down to the meadow, I saw a really cool scene with the mountains, trees, snow and water...I tried to get out onto the meadow to take a photo of it, but the spin hitting me in the face had me snap a quick photo and haul @$$ for the trees...

I think the reason I keep "suffering" through these hikes is the amazement at the pristine scenes...fluffy looking snowfields with no disturbance...the billions of "diamonds" shining in the sun...not to mention that I really like being places "no one else has been before..."

#105908 - 02/28/24 07:38 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Mirror Lake Snowshoe - 02.28.2024
==============================

6 hours to get to the Log Crossing the first time up...
1:50 this morning...

I cheated:

E-Bike locked to the hand rail at the WPS...

I made it up a little past Mirror Lake (about 10.7k') and wanted to continue, but Shin San is guiding a group up Baldy for the Leap Day...so I headed home.

Lots of alternative for getting up to The Bowl...we'll see if the series of storms that one Weatherman is saying could dump TEN FEET on the Sierra...

Here are a few photos:

Parked the car by Giggle Springs (?) and rode the E-Bike from there...stopped to check on some of the "off" roads that I think Doug was mentioning above the homes...

Worried that I might dump myself into the stream, I detoured around the Log Crossing...still no signs of anybody else being up here...

Wilderness Zone...Spin filled a lot of the tracks...

Shortcut across Bighorn Park...

Looking down at Outpost Camp and Bighorn Park...

Trail area on the left and a cool looking coulior on the right...across from Mirror Lake...

I've done this "route" between Wotan's Throne and Pinnacle Ridge in summer...it looks like it would go right now...up-and-over and straight to The Bowl...

Trail terrain up there somewhere...

Mirror Lake...

#105909 - 02/29/24 02:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

Loc: CA, USA
That was me (it's an old Integra too, not a Lexus, the green one?). I went up Monday to Lower Boy Scout. The forecast I had said Monday through Thursday would be calm, 15-25F at LBS, 5-10F at the summit more or less.

Well it was not so calm Monday night at LBSL. I was woken up pretty frequently which was a bummer because I was trying to summit Tuesday. When the alarm rang at 3:30 am Tuesday the wind was the same. At 4:30, same. 5:30, same. I got up around 6:15 or so and shortly thereafter the wind died. I got ready as fast as I could, departed at 7:20 am and made it up to Iceberg Lake but it was already 1:30 pm. That was my first time above Upper BS Lake on the mountaineers route, so it probably took a little longer than it should but still I was on all fours with cramp ons and two ice tools here and there so it wasn't really easy. I summited the main route a few years back. September on the main route might as well be a diff mountain than Feb on the MR.

Back to now: At Iceberg Lake I decided to turn around because a hypothetical summit got me there by 4:30 pm probably and back to my tent at LBSL at 8-9 pm. Any inability to return to camp meant a vey cold night out waiting for the CHP chopper to (hopefully) respond to an SOS call the next daylight. I had a heavy down jacket, light down pants and an SOS-Bivy in my backpack but this just seemed like too little room for error.

Wednesday morning I contemplated another attempt today (Thursday) but the precip is supposed to be coming in tonight so, a repeat attempt (with 1-3 am departure) wasn't in the cards. At least not with my risk tolerance.

I'm sure I used some of your snowshoe tracks, and thanks to others laying track. I post holed here and there (at times up to my nether region) but mostly managed to "find a line" where I could stay above the snow. I was boots and cramp ons from about 8.6k and above. Below that, hiking boots.

I had a blast, felt like I pretty much had the mountain to myself for 3 days and I think at my elevation and up I did. Oh, I also was walking past Portal thinking "Who's the nut up here with a bike with knobby tires?". Nice work!

#105910 - 02/29/24 02:47 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Jim F Offline

An E-bike and an old Integra. Right on!

Richard and Pappy, the reports of your adventuresome experiences and observations on the Main Trail and MR are much appreciated.

Jim

#105911 - 02/29/24 07:46 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Yeah, that feeling of This Is Mine...

Glad your car was gone...when I saw it still there, I figured I'd report it if it wasn't gone on the way down...

There was some snow piled up on the windshield as I passed by...wondering whether there were some rogue hikers up there?

#105912 - 02/29/24 09:11 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

I saw the remnants of maybe were some snowballs on my windsheild? I couldn't figure out how the dirt and tiny rocks got there other than snowballs (snow had all melted by the time I returned).

Richard your pics helped me decide to give Whitney a try. I had an attempt up Shasta planned but the weather window got too small and Whitney offered better weather. I'll try to post some photos here, be patient with me this is my first time posting to a forum like this (I'm uploading photos, creating links etc). Regarding the feeling solo in the wilderness: I love it but I feel respectful and that I'm being tolerated by nature, and am grateful when I come out unscathed.

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgt0C4bZ4sedbVUxofg?e=8rqJYh[/img]

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgtxrTVnq6D0jsqIYcw?e=rUYL8t[/img]

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgtxwHv8unoUnpuhyPg?e=iAnCjc[/img]

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgtxxcis6nkFgW_LrZA?e=1C8xTw[/img]

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgtxygRXwP8VYmdO4oA?e=GTQAnm[/img]

[img:left]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkChGU5wfxEpgtx__6vE5uxbRtlDGQ?e=JylG6L[/img]

#105914 - 03/01/24 12:22 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Pappy Offline

Let's try that picture thing again...

WhitneyMR_20240226 Here's a folder with a few. This probably all looks different as the weather appears to have arrived today.

#105915 - 03/02/24 06:27 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

About 1 1/2 feet more snow at Horseshoe this morning...

A bit of advice about posting photos...the website you use needs to allow you to copy a link with an .jpg extension, such as:

https://***IMG_1680-X2.jpg

#105916 - 03/02/24 08:40 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

Thanks for the tip Richard, I eventually gathered as much (after a few failures). Please keep posting. I'm 400 miles away again, back in the grind, and the posts keep the rat race tolerable.

One question: did you ever bivy as a plan on a long simmit attempt, to rest up, in a non emergency situation? If so, what were your limits in terms of temps and weather? I hear about people making a bivy in pretty cold conditions and I'd like to understand it more before actually trying it, i.e. being comitted and finding out something is inadequate.

I'm not sure if you've ever seen this youtube video of Steve House packing for a 2-3 day climbing excursion, but the dude packs light. I'd say his normal pack is a near summit pack for me.

#105917 - 03/02/24 09:53 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

https://piotrowski.smugmug.com/Californi...uary-28-29-2012

Back in 2012 when I did my every weekend for a year project (Thanks Scully), there was only 1 weekend when I thought I couldn't get it done in a day...

I threw a few garbage bags (as a ground cloth), a short foam pad, a BD bivy, a 20 degree bag, 3 liters of Gatorade (I have found that it takes a lot for sealed "bottles" to freeze.), a Footlong Subway Sandwich and some snacks in an overnight pack...camped in relative comfort at the JMT Junction on the west side...

I've had 2 unplanned bivouacs in my climbing "career"...1 high up on the plateau above Meysan Lake (doing HM to WP via The Miter Basin) I ran out of daylight and wasn't in the mood to search for the route down by headlamp) and the other on the last weekend of my 52 weekends project. The first time was an "Oh well, it's finally happened"...and I did have a 40 degree bag with me...(I've been blessed with a pretty good instinct...) the 2nd was a struggle I didn't know I'd survive because of the conditions...

If I'm not mistaken, House was part of a team that tried a different strategy of climbing on Mt. Everest...sleep by day and climb by night...

#105918 - 03/04/24 05:41 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I’m leaving Minnesota today to see if I can’t stand on top of Whitney later in the week. Thanks Richard, pappy and everyone else for the updates.

#105919 - 03/04/24 05:53 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Please keep in mind...

A foot plus of spindrift has been stripped from the HM Sensor...I saw lots of spin blowing off of the Crest on yesterday's Webcam images...

There was nearly 3' of new snow at HM...

If going up the NF, the snow that hasn't been blown off of the cliffs will start to slide soon after the sun hits it...especially the south-facing slope...

On the Main Trail side, there is going to be plenty of additional (soft) snow because of the spin...

If the wind drops off, I'm going to head up on Wednesday...don't know if I'll even make it past the Portal...(the FS Snow Maps showed snow down to Olivas Ranch Road...)

#105920 - 03/04/24 07:36 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
So the snow almost made it down to that bustling new housing development!

#105921 - 03/04/24 09:24 AM Re: 2024 [Re: hightinerary]
Minnesota John Offline

I’ve got a 9 day window. I was planning on bringing plenty of food and fuel and progressively making higher camps to iceberg lake. Maybe with the current conditions it’s not possible to make it to the summit (which is okay) but I still plan on taking a look. My main concern is avalanches. Do you think it would be better conditions this wknd? Thanks again Richard! Greatly appreciated

#105922 - 03/04/24 09:26 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Doug Sr Offline

You shoukd be good with the cold , high winds most of the week todays 50-55 MPH gust dropping down later in the week . The high wind issue is drifts and camping without getting your tent destroyed or lost in a gust, tree blow down in the first canyon , no history of what to expect since that area was cleaned last season with several avalanches , so now exposed to the wind.

Main trail area will have deep drifts starting around outpost camp to trailcrest the west side should be mostly dry as it gets the wind during the storms and cleared shortly after with more wind , drifts
on the west side can be expected and unsafe travel if still blowing.
I assume you are in a group, if solo carry a PLB/INREACH/SPOT and expect areas of no coverage , cold will take out the battery life also .
My winter guess is for most it is about a 4-6 day trip , breaking trail is the time factor and with wind in the forecast tracks will be covered requiring breaking trail down.

#105923 - 03/04/24 09:35 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

Do you think the mountaineers route is still the best option ?

#105924 - 03/04/24 09:40 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

Looks like you were sending as I was typing , NF look at the webcam and expand/zoom you can see the area from just above the Portal to past Upper Boyscout lake, Again we had 3 avalanches in that canyon last year and at least one near Lower Boyscout lake, Stay clear of the south side of that area and away from the slope off Thor and the summit ridge, this new snow is sitting on old snow that may have melted and froze so the fresh snow can slide.
Yes later in the week is best , gives everything time to settle and the system mid week should pass ,also if Richard gets to the Portal you will have a chance to read his report.

#105925 - 03/04/24 09:48 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

This time of the year with the storm cycle starting to look like the norm neither route is safe, last season one guide aborted 15 climbs out of 16, many aborted at the mouth of the Mountaineers Route and most before Lower Boyscout Lake.

#105926 - 03/04/24 09:54 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

I was thinking about getting a cheap pulk sled and hauling my gear up until it was a hindrance and then stash it and use it on the way back. Smart or dumb?

#105927 - 03/04/24 11:24 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Over the last 35 years, I have 39 summits in 39 attempts. This includes at least one dayhike in every month of the year (including February and March with RichardP). I didn’t get those winter summits by going up during or right after epic storms. I waited until conditions were nearly perfect. I delayed one trip a full year because conditions weren’t right. If you go in the next two weeks, you will probably spend a lot of time wallowing in soft snow. I’ve never been an avalanche expert. Beacons and probes are useless when you’re alone. I just stay far away when there might be avalanche activity. Even if I were 30 years younger and still in my prime, I wouldn’t go for at least two weeks.

Answering specific questions, the Mountaineers’ Route is much shorter. If you are 100% comfortable with the technical difficulty, it is the best option. If you are going to spend hours route-finding and dicking around with ropes, you are better off taking the trail.

We used sleds for rather large loads on Denali. I’ve never heard of anybody using a sled in the Sierra. My guess is that it’s a bad idea, but I could be wrong. BTW, about 60 years ago, I did a backpack trip with some high school buddies. Two of them brought a metal wagon instead of backpacks. The wagon tipped over so many times that they abandoned it after about a quarter mile. They carried everything in their arms. It was hilarious!

#105928 - 03/04/24 11:49 AM Re: 2024 [Re: bobpickering]
Richard P. Offline

Ditto on the MR being much shorter...but I don't/won't go up the MR until I know a guided group has put in a GOOD track...(the rest of the trips are just "playing around")...most newbies will lead you to Nowhere...and you'll usually have the frustrating task of backtracking, or you can be stupid (like I sometimes am) and...(not actually going to say what I was going to say about getting back on track...)(read my comment about playing Tarzan in the Willows...)(People have died on the way up to LBSL...sobering thoughts...)

On the Main Trail side, you can shorten the distance by several miles if you know the terrain, or are really good at reading terrain...but, there's the potential for avalanches off of Candlelight and Irvine, especially in the warmer Spring weather...

As Bob/Doug said, you're probably going to suffer horribly in The Chute (really a Bowl)...(read the link in one of the posts above...10+ hours to Trail Crest when in those days, I could probably do it in 4...there's also the possibility of some Technical Terrain on traverses on the West Side if the snow has packed in from the wind...

If you're a good/experienced climber, most of this suffering is just plain FUN...once you're sitting around with a beer in your hand...

#105929 - 03/04/24 12:09 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Quote:
Even if I were 30 years younger and still in my prime, I wouldn’t go for at least two weeks.

(Not intending to insult...I respect his philosophy of climbing as much as anybody's...) BP is a perfectionist...I'd rarely go out if I tried to climb for decades without a failure...I know I've got a S/L more failures than successes...and don't regret any...I look at climbing, hiking, cycling, off-roading, etc., etc., etc., as ways to stay fit...

#105930 - 03/04/24 01:16 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Originally Posted By Richard P.
(Not intending to insult...

No offense taken, Richard.

When success is seriously in question, I don’t stay home, I climb something easier. There are four 10K peaks near Reno that I have climbed 354, 134, 529, and 396 times. That keeps me in decent shape. Conditions that lead to turning around also tend to be unpleasant and maybe dangerous. Since I usually climb alone, I stay away after storms to avoid avalanche conditions. I’m susceptible to “summit fever” (being too dumb to turn around when I should), so I try not to attempt climbs that I can’t finish. 2,628 summits and 18 failures since 1987.

#105931 - 03/04/24 02:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: bobpickering]
Minnesota John Offline

It’s a tough pill to swallow when you’ve been training and planning for months and these opportunities don’t come very often. I’m a pretty cautious person and I’m not susceptible to summit fever but I do know my limited ability to read avalanche danger. I still plan on going to take a look Tuesday/Wednesday. Again thank you for your wealth of knowledge. Any suggestions on a plan B (other mountains or activities in the are would be appreciated. I’ve never been to Yosemite?

#105932 - 03/04/24 03:30 PM Re: 2024 [Re: bobpickering]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
Originally Posted By bobpickering
I’ve never heard of anybody using a sled in the Sierra.

Odd, I've seen many, many people using cheap sleds to walk up the road from the closed sign/gate. If I were hauling more than 30 lbs. for a winter romp, I would consider spending the $19.99 and stashing it as you mentioned, MJ. You also have an opportunity for an exciting ride back to the car if the conditions warrant.

A couple years back, BobR put together a nice overview of avalanche potentials with maps & photos.

(Some knowledge doesn't change all that much, just the degree in which people want to argue about it...)

#105933 - 03/04/24 03:34 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

I don't know if it's still available...
Bob R did a map of known avalanches in the Whitney Zone...

A general rule-of-thumb (definitely NOT a guarantee - and Spring Conditions bring on other dangers of slides - so if it warms up, you need to keep this in mind) in the Sierra is Wait Three Days after a storm for snow conditions to stabilize...

Here's my list:

North Side:
-The cliffs above you on the approach to LBSL...
-The Secret Route (north facing slope) on Thor Peak at LBSL...
-If it's warm...The south facing slope to Iceberg Lake...

Main Trail Side:
-The north facing slopes of Candlelight and Irvine...(these slopes generally slide every Spring...)
-If it's warm...The slope up from Outpost Camp to Mirror Lake...(never seen it slide, but the pucker factor has been high on a few occasions on this slope...)

I've never seen the Couloir on the MR slide (rockfall off the cliffs is more of a danger in my opinion...)

I've never seen anything other than minor sloughs on The Chute on the Main Trail...

Walking Horseshoe Meadows Road (is boring) but an easier way to start acclimatization...Onion Valley Road usually has a bunch of BC Skiers making tracks up the road...and just getting up to The Portal and beyond is cool terrain...

#105934 - 03/04/24 03:42 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Axe Man to the rescue...

BTW, if you're going to be up there on Wednesday, you can look for me...I don't know if I'll be in my car, or on an MC...I usually don't start too early...I'd say most of the time, I'm not heading up to The Portal before about 9:00am...just remember, I'm old-and-slow...

#105935 - 03/04/24 05:43 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

Thanks Richard. I’ll see you up there. I think I’ll spend Tuesday night sleeping in my car (acclimating) as far up as I can drive. Maybe stretch the legs a little on Tuesday. I just landed in Vegas. Thanks again everyone!

#105936 - 03/04/24 06:57 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Just looked at the forecast...

Still windy tomorrow, but no snow in the forecast...
Wednesday has a chance of snow flurries (and it's a mountain stage of Paris Nice), so I think I'm going to Lone Pine tomorrow.

If you're going to be in the area, post a reply and I'll post an anticipated arrival time (tomorrow morning) as far up WPR as I can go...

BTW, on Yosemite, it was closed due to the storm...can't imagine that it's still closed...you'd need to check to see which passes are open...might have to drive down to 178 to cross to the west...

#105937 - 03/04/24 09:56 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

Please post some follow ups. I'd love to hear how things are since I was there last week. I spend a lot of time looking at Shasta and its avvy forecast, and I have a decent grip on that volcano but I know next to zilch about the snow/wind/temperature/avalanche patterns of the Whitney MR. Last week with footing that I assume would have been substantially better than you will encounter, it took me 6 hours to get from LBSL to Iceberg Lake. I train about 350 hours a year (weights, cycling, various cros training), so I'm no olympic athlete but I consider a 4 hour bike ride fun. This is just to give you some reference points for your own expectations.

There were two spots that looked like severe terrain traps: on the way to LBSL and leading up to Iceberg Lake. I'm no avvy expert, just an armchair person who has read a lot of Bruce Tremper's book but terrain traps are pretty spooky to me since such a small slope can put you into manny meters of burial easily. Also it has been windy and wind can deposit 5-10 times the snow per unit of time (lee side) as can fall directly from the sky. Well, you guys know. Have fun, post pics for the sods that are back at work.

#105938 - 03/05/24 05:39 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Jeff M Offline

A couple of suggestions from an East Coast flatlander:

First, as most are putting their planning hats on for the current/coming season, this is a good time to put in a plug for a book by a kitchen hand who did Whitney once or twice.

Second, there are quite a few years of archives here on the board with photos, condition reports, tall tales, and ephemera, that you can pull up and compare with current conditions (any time of year). RichardP especially has been helpful in posting road and trail pics up the mountain throughout the seasons, and all you have to do is go back a year or six and cross reference for very accurate accounts of what to expect.

An amount of snow falls, it gets blown around, it settles, it melts. Rocks shift, some go tumbling, but the terrain has remained largely unchanged for millennia. So have the reports of "current" conditions.

Again, just a couple of suggestions from a guy who should probably know better...

#105939 - 03/05/24 06:26 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jeff M]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By Jeff M
Again, just a couple of suggestions from a guy who should probably know better...

Yeah, Right...this from a man who isn't afraid to head into the unknown...with several FA's in the Sierra...

I feel like saying it again...the best time to do a Winter Ascent of the MR is April (days are longer...many guided groups have gone up, the snow is usually still in outstanding shape, etc.)...and if you want to experience the Whitney Version Of Burning Man (No fires, though.), head up the last weekend before the Quota Season kicks in...

#105940 - 03/05/24 06:59 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jeff M Offline

The "a guy who should know better" was more about arguing the minutiae (and all things in general).

But thanks for outing me. laugh

(Very odd after spending so much of my life in the west at 14,505 above sea level, I'm now in the east spending my days focused on 14,505+ below sea level...)

#105941 - 03/05/24 07:19 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

Just spent the night above Alabama hills. It doesn’t look like that much new snow . Now in town getting supplies. I’m in a white Ford explorer with Arizona plates . These mountains are gorgeous!

#105942 - 03/05/24 07:28 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Minnesota John Offline

Thanks for the info. Were you camping or just out for the day?

#105943 - 03/05/24 08:17 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

I rode up towards Lone Pine and noticed a front flat tire heading up Lubken...Parked it at the intersection...

Did a 16+ mile loop cross-country up to the Turnout and then down the road back to the bike...(maybe some interesting photos tomorrow.)

There was very little new down low...

I saw a lot of cars coming down WP Rd...I'd guess they were making it up to near the Meysan Trailhead.

I'm pretty sure I saw your car at the Turnout and then passing me by as I walked HM Rd back...

I was just up for the day...I hope I feel good enough to take some gear up towards the Portal with the e-bike on Thursday. I'm half expecting to see some of my tracks from before this storm...

#105944 - 03/06/24 05:17 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Here are a few photos:

You can see the WP Rd switchbacks if you zoom in...

Whitney from the desert.

WP Rd Turnout / Parking area.

Dry...found a nice boulder to sit on for lunch...

#105946 - 03/06/24 06:42 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

I parked a little past the first gate and walked up to the store yesterday. Gonna start hiking Wednesday morning. I’ll post what I find.

#105948 - 03/07/24 09:21 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
tactiphobe Offline

Loc: MA
Hey John, it's your buddy from the Visitor Center Tuesday morning, then later Tuesday afternoon with the skis. How did it end up going? It looked a little sketchy once I got a mile up the MR, was just curious what your experience was like.

#105950 - 03/07/24 03:40 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tactiphobe]
Minnesota John Offline

I didn’t even make to little Boy Scout lake. The snow was just too deep and was kicking my ass. Three guys (from Atlanta) were going up as I was coming down. I wonder how there doing. Did you go to Joshua tree?

#105951 - 03/07/24 03:48 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

Hi Doug. I was stashing some boots in the bear food locker next to the bathrooms by the store and noticed a ziplock bag that had $50 to $100 in cash, phone, kindle, drivers license, credit cards, etc. Very weird because no one was on the mountain. Don’t know how long it’s been there. I left it there and told Richard about it and he was going to take it and try and find out what’s going on. Ever heard of the name David Isaac van Cleve ? License says he’s from Chicago

#105952 - 03/07/24 05:19 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

Great meeting you today Richard. I’d like another shot at it Monday. This time with a daypack. Maybe with your guidance we can get up a little higher then my feeble attempt. By then the road might be open up to meysan and more tracks!

I’m gonna check out that onion valley. I thought you mentioned another area near onion valley, something about them plowing the road due to the housing development.

#105953 - 03/07/24 06:02 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
tactiphobe Offline

Loc: MA
I did make it to Joshua Tree. It was so nice! Sorry your hike didn't go as planned.

#105954 - 03/07/24 08:27 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tactiphobe]
Minnesota John Offline

Thank you. It’s not a huge disappointment. From what people were telling me about current conditions I was prepared for failure but I had to see for myself. I’m hoping to go back in a few days for a day hike and see if I can’t get a bit higher.

#105955 - 03/07/24 09:18 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Pappy Offline

What was on your feet: snow shoes? boots & crampons? Just curious.

I'm all about maximum information gain with minimal/no injury. It sounds like and interestingn adventure and I'm sure Monday will give you one too.

#105956 - 03/07/24 09:23 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Cool meeting you, too...
A lot going on today...Snow Flurries for hours...MJ and the 3 guys from Atlanta...

I met the 3 guys from Atlanta just as I was getting to Split Rock...1 had downclimbed it and the 2 others were working it...Talked there for about 15 minutes...told me about dropping thru the crust at where you guys were crossing the stream...

I headed up over to where the trail drops down to the creek and had lunch...Tried descending to the creek at the "summer trail" crossing and was waist deep in snow...(you guys went a little high)...so I waddled my way back to your tracks and headed down...

I have to say: THIS WAS THE BEST TRACKS I'VE SEEN UP THE NF IN A LONG TIME...don't know if they were yours, or Pappy's...but whoever put them in deserves a pat on the back!

AG's (Atlanta Guys) were surprised to see back down at the NF Junction so fast...they were setting up a camp by the Wilderness Sign...cool spot...they invited me to stop for coffee on my way down...

I broke trail up the Main Trail side to Lone Pine Lake...and then hauled @$$ back down to the AG's camp site...spent another 20, or so, BS'ing with them and came up with a plan for an early May attempt in a round-about way (they like the idea of the MR up to Iceberg, over Whitney/Russell, down the Arctic Lake Drainage, climb the West Face and then home via the MR...(4 days...maybe.)

So, I don't think the NF will be worth the effort (unless we hear a Guided Group goes up this weekend)...

A couple of alternatives: Up to Lone Pine Lake fairly quickly (since the track is in) and then up to Bighorn Park...

From Bighorn Park we can either do:
-the climb up to Mirror Lake and beyond
=the South Face of Thor Peak (a little bit of scrambling if I recall correctly) up onto the summit slope and a snowshoe to the summit. The views will blow your mind...

I'm open...you're the visitor...so you get to choose...

I'll post some photos tomorrow...

BTW: I do have the goods...we're getting towards the time of year where ..........., so I grabbed the baggie from the bear box...I think I'm going to send a letter first to make sure they still are at the address listed...if they contact me, I'll Priority Mail it out...If they don't, I'll turn it in to the FS Lost-and-Found...

#105957 - 03/07/24 09:29 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

I was on snowshoes from the WP Store up...kept them on until below the Meysan Lakes TH...

#105958 - 03/07/24 11:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Some photos from 03.07.2024:

Tracks on the NF leading up past where the Summer Crossing is.

Google Maps showing the Summer Crossing.

Lone Pine Lake Junction.

Looking down towards the Whitney Zone area.

Log Crossing.

#105959 - 03/07/24 11:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Long story about goods left in the area,change a few years ago We were told leave where found or call Inyo County Sheriff's dispatch to report .
Hey gossip is a guide group going in tomorrow ,guide is the person that did the 16/1 attempts great person and very strong climber also very well focused on safety

Your trip was just about the worst conditions,fresh snow over old,high wind gust with the storms and weather not clearing out even today. Knowing the route makes all the difference also.
We can alter the path to adjust for conditions,climbing at times on rock to avoid drifts,or to gain elevation quickly .
I always suggest going and make the turn around when a person can experience the condition and understand OH this is fun anymore!
You also drew out several members that have years of experience and we have all these adventures that add to the yup that didn't turn out that. well! My brother told me on one adventure if he had a gun he would of shot me ,We were on a climb in Colorado and my ego go us stuck for hours!

Edited by Doug Sr (03/07/24 11:07 PM)
Edit Reason: 16 not 26

#105960 - 03/08/24 05:53 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

It looks like a third option for Monday has been added...

Doug, where's the nearest Inyo County Sheriff's office?
I'll still try to contact the owner...if no response, I'll hand the package over to the Sheriff.

#105961 - 03/08/24 06:25 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

No office in LP just call dispatch and set up meeting location 1 760 878 0383.

#105962 - 03/08/24 07:01 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By Minnesota John
I’m gonna check out that onion valley. I thought you mentioned another area near onion valley, something about them plowing the road due to the housing development.

Aspendell above Bishop if you're heading up that far north. Hwy 168.

#105963 - 03/08/24 01:44 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
Plowed to the gate at Aspendell but plenty of snow on the road above the gate to either Lake Sabrina or North Lake. Each about two miles from the gate.

#105964 - 03/08/24 04:00 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

Thinking about going back up. What does everyone think of the forecast Sunday to Tuesday?

#105966 - 03/09/24 04:30 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Forecast I've seen shows a slight chance of snow on Tuesday.

If the guided group makes at least LBSL, that would make your climb a bit easier.

#105967 - 03/09/24 09:23 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

>I have to say: THIS WAS THE BEST TRACKS I'VE SEEN UP THE NF IN A LONG TIME...don't know if they were yours, or Pappy's...but whoever put them in deserves a pat on the back!

I don't think I can claim having made any of those. At best I helped choose the better tracks and pund them in some more. When I was there I was doing my best to find any tracks already made whether show shoes, skis, or boots, and then trying to assess if the tracks were worth following and could I walk normally or if some technique modification was needed. Some tracks up higher I was walking in a line (like there was a tight rope) in order not to punch through. I was finding and following tracks all the way to Iceberg. I was also making some of my own like on the steep little section just before Iceberg where I opted to front point and get on all fours, with a whippet in one hand and an axe in the other. I did a lot of sledding as a kid in the midwest and that area looked like great sledding terrain but some lines would lead you into a very abrupt stop via colliding with boulders.

If I were up there now (and man I wish I could take another week off of work) I'd 100% wait for the guided group to make a path, just to make more effective use of time. This is unless of course you're interested in a much slower trail blazing type experience that I assume would mandate snow shoes or skis/skins. I've blazed trail on Mt Shasta and if you make the mental shift into "endurance experience with large margin for error" it's fine, but the pace is slow and the calories burned are significant. I went up 5k feet with snowshoes there and enjoyed myself but I was enjoying the moment and didn't care if I summited (which I did not on that trip). Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

#105968 - 03/13/24 05:56 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

No words necessary...
I wouldn't have wanted to be up there yesterday...
Looks like the mountain is in for some nasty winds over the next few days
Sitting at home watching, rather than climbing...
I'm thinking it may be time for a N to S Trailhead report...
Spring is about a week away...looks like another Winter goes by without an ascent...

#105969 - 03/13/24 06:27 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

The ride to Onion Valley was a bust...
The Road Crews put up a real roadblock this year...
A ton gardening gear might get you a path thru the brush...
I did stop on the road up to snap a pic of the canyon...

Frustrated, I headed down to Lone Pine and up WP Rd...
If I can ride this bike up past the minor snow patches, so can you...(I was the highest vehicle today.)

I didn't bring any gear, so my plan was the Main Trail to the NF Junction...I walked past the store and started sinking considerably, so after a photo of the WPS, it was down to the Trailhead...

It was so easy (Lower Main Trail has LOTS of dry trail.), I headed up the NF...made it to where some crazy people are crossing thru the willows... (This is the same spot I was playing Tarzan as the snow dropped out...) I headed back down...

As I was heading down, I stopped to take a look at the North Side / Rockwell Shortcut / Wall Route...it looks almost dry enough to try...

There were additional tracks on the Main Trail Side past the Wilderness Sign...I tried taking to Old Trail down, but sank pretty deep on the 3rd, or 4th, step, so I went back via the Main Trail...

Here are a few photos:

Santa Barbara Middle School field trip...how cool is this?

North Fork past the Summer Stream Crossing...

#105970 - 03/14/24 01:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Richard,

I have been following your posts carefully. Thanks!

Good to see lots of dry segments on the lower Main Trail.

Spring starts next week. As Doug has suggested over the years, time to start watching the top of Thor.

Hopefully, some of the Middle School youth can return in the Summer and enjoy some camping, hiking, and good eats at the Store.

Jim

#105971 - 03/15/24 07:11 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

I'm having fun doing these trips...

BTW, I doubt that Guided Group that Doug mentioned made it very far up the NF (if at all)...

Now you get to read a little whining...
Many Happy Isle Lottery attempts...No Permit!
Six week selection for a Whit Overnight...No Permit!
I'm definitely not going to Vegas (or Indy, or Bishop) any time soon...

#105972 - 03/15/24 05:11 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Guide group got about half way up the chute and turned around.
Light snow started late yesterday on the mountain and still coming down 6 PM. Friday ,Inyo mountains turning white all day ,this system is a strange one lasting hours .

#105977 - 03/16/24 05:47 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Was it a small group?
I saw crampon marks in the willow branches and a bunch of compacted snow (like someone took a break to contemplate) at the stream crossing...early morning, with frozen snow would probably be "safe," but in the afternoon, when I was there, is "rolling the dice" on ending up "in the drink"...

#105978 - 03/16/24 07:37 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

I think it was a small group, The guide and Doug Ski together , often so I will try to get more detail, this guide does many of the trips for Wedberg.

Update from last night Inyo s got snow low and south Sierra up high some but didn't get much lower down

#105979 - 03/16/24 08:22 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Is there snow on Haystack?

#105980 - 03/16/24 08:27 AM Re: 2024 [Re: hightinerary]
Richard P. Offline

I call this Rattlesnake Hill...is this what you call Haystack?

No snow on it as of the last storm. I don't know the snow level of yesterday/today's storms...

#105981 - 03/16/24 08:32 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
hightinerary Offline

Haystack is like Rattlesnake Hill East. It's on the other side of 395, off Owenyo Lone Pine Road.

#105982 - 03/16/24 10:21 AM Re: 2024 [Re: hightinerary]
hightinerary Offline

...And I was semi-joking. But a photo of the Inyos with fresh snow behind Haystack would be nice.

#105983 - 03/16/24 01:05 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
moothebean Offline

That's a pretty solid fall of snow from 7000' up, might be the end of my hopes to go up the MR next week. Don't want it to be a postholing nightmare up there. Maybe I'll just mess around on some Baldy Bowl routes.

#105984 - 03/17/24 05:53 PM Re: 2024 [Re: moothebean]
Arkie Bob Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Seems like you guys have a very good grasp on conditions on the mountain. Based on the snow this year, what do you think conditions might look like in mid June, assuming no more major storms? Got a permit for June 16th, and it would be my first attempt on Whitney. I'm getting a couple of the books recommended around here as well, but thought some firsthand experience might be helpful.

#105985 - 03/17/24 08:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Arkie Bob]
Doug Sr Offline

We get a series of storms in May and early June so way early to guess on a mid June condition ., Watch the webcam for melt and system coverage

#106008 - 03/27/24 09:34 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Thor Offline

Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi all, new to the site, I'll be hiking Low to High in April and just checking in on what conditions may be when I get to Lone Pine around the 21st of April, obviously fully aware it's dependent on recent weather, more looking for general Late April guidance. Like expect any recent snowfall to evaporate below Portal with a single day of sunshine, etc. if you have any of that type of advice.

Once to Whitney Portal, I'm aiming to take the Mountaineer's Route. I'm thinking about how far I will be needing to hike from town until I am in the snow, will I be able to stash my standard hikers at the Portal and continue on with my mountaineering boots from there, or should I be planning to be carrying for some way and swapping later in the trip. I will be fully equipped with snow shoes as recent reports show no tracks being well established.

I'm expecting the town to summit and back to be a multi-day allowing for slower than expected travel and rerouting if needed, and having an extra day for a second summit shot in case of weather.

Happy to be here, and I have enjoyed reading the recent updates.

Cheers,

Thor

#106009 - 03/27/24 05:17 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Thor]
Doug Sr Offline

You should be on dirt/road into the north fork part way up maybe clear to Lower Boyscout Lake. Wild card above, will be snow and you may find a guide track for easy route finding and no need for snow shoes, crampons and ax for sure and hard mixed climbing skills rock/ice.

Always a great trip early season but will test you limits of fun!

#106010 - 03/28/24 06:26 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Keep in mind that the Road Crews may have the gate locked if they are clearing the road so the Thompson's can get the Whitney Portal Store open for Pancakes and Burgers...As of a couple of weeks ago, the Rockfall was really minor...

I've been watching the sensors and seeing the snowpack contract...we'll see what this series of storms will do...although it looks like it's staying north...

#106011 - 03/29/24 07:09 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Joejulius Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi Richard and Everyone,
So the campground closest to the trailhead opens on 4/22, correct? Does the parking lot across from the trailhead also open? Will the detour roads be open to get there? We have a 4/24 hike planned. Any advice would be great. Thank you, Joe

#106012 - 03/29/24 07:46 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Joejulius]
Richard P. Offline

I don't use the campgrounds, so I can't answer that question...Ken and Jim are, so maybe they'll chime in...

My understanding is that the County and Forest Service are only obligated to open things by May 1...Doug will have more info on opening as he's the Owner of the WPS...

I'll repeat myself...if the Road Crews are up the road, you need to get up past their work area before their days starts...I've had them yell at me for passing while they are working...

#106013 - 03/29/24 10:06 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Joejulius Offline

Thanks, Richard. My apologies for you having to repeat yourself. I'm just a little unfamiliar with the process before the May 1 date and just trying to get as much info as I can.

#106014 - 03/29/24 10:41 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Joejulius]
AndyC Offline

Loc: Tehachapi, CA
Just to play devils advocate, I wouldn't hold my breath for much to be open or user friendly before 1 May (roads, parking, trails). But every year is different, so.....

#106015 - 03/29/24 01:29 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Joejulius]
Jim F Offline

Joe,

The Whitney Portal Family Campground is currently accepting reservations for stays beginning April 25. Sometimes road and weather conditions dictate that the campground opening be delayed, and those with the earliest reservations get their money refunded. This is often done on a rolling week by week basis.

Remember that the Whitney Portal Store and adjacent Trailhead are located just a few hundred yards from the John Muir Wilderness, where the Forces of Nature tend to rule without human pushback. Some of the expectations one brings from living in California urban sprawl have to be shed when visiting the Mountain. From time to time the entire Canyon must be evacuated due to fires, earthquakes,...

In addition to the more formal Family Campground, there are two additional walk-in campgrounds located at the Trailhead, one above the overflow parking lot, and the other (more palatial) just below the lot. I consider them as open all year, whether approached by car, bike, snowshoes, or skis. When they are officially "open" for the season, the camper will be requested to leave a few dollars in an envelope.

As for the roads below the Canyon, I would not worry about travel on them. In April the school bus will still be picking up kids that live in the area and taking them to class in Lone Pine.

Let us know how your visit/hike/climb goes in late April. Your feedback will give others some early data points for the upcoming season. This would be much appreciated.

Jim

#106016 - 03/29/24 01:57 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
Joejulius Offline

Thanks for the info, Jim. Me and my two buddies will be staying at the Whitney Portal Hostel/Hotel on the 24th with hopes of starting the hike up on the 25th and summit on the 26th...weather/conditions permitting of course. I've been up there before, but during summer. Just trying to get prepared and planned out as much as I can. Thanks again, Joe

#106017 - 03/29/24 03:06 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Joejulius]
tif Offline

Loc: colton, ca
You've used the word 'hike' in a couple of your posts - keep in mind that in April it won't be a 'hike' but a full on winter mountaineering trip where ice ax, crampons (not microspikes), and helmet will be needed - especially with the rather large storm coming through this weekend dumping another foot+ of snow.

#106018 - 03/29/24 09:00 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tif]
Doug Sr Offline

Wind started yesreday morning looked like light snow around the upper elevation , then a sucker hole in the aftrernoon, wind today and system in this afternoon , .
Guide group went up yesterday but I am sure they came down today Overnight temps around 10 with strong winds.

Waiting for the storms in May if we are back in the cycle!

#106019 - 03/31/24 04:27 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
ComradeBear Online

Loc: California, USA
Anybody have a guesstimate on current snow depth up there(UBSL, Iceberg)? We've received a bunch of snow again this year! Woo! laugh

#106020 - 04/01/24 11:47 AM Re: 2024 [Re: ComradeBear]
Doug Sr Offline

Guide report about a foot at of fresh snow Lower Boyscout Lake Friday and storm over the weekend dumped more, reached down to the valley last night to about 5000'
Several warm days will clear the lower elevation , but above will hold longer , south facing slopes will clear first .

Road work last week cleared the rocks and snow but work will continue and the lower gate may be locked without notice!

#106021 - 04/01/24 12:58 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tif]
Marmot John Offline

Loc: Earth
If people want to call it a hike, it's a hike for them. We get enough warnings on Facebook from the safety gatekeepers trying to become "harbingers of danger warnings". Let's not turn this place into that too.

#106022 - 04/01/24 03:50 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

I took a quick look at the HM Snow Sensor over the weekend and this morning...about a foot (new) on Saturday and about a foot-and-a-half (total new is now just under 5') this morning...

I wanted to come up this morning on the big bike, but it wouldn't start (cold winters are tough on little batteries)...Maybe tomorrow, since I took the time to install a trickler lead and have the battery charging...

In regard to the other post...I didn't see anything wrong with the hike vs. climb warning...and yeah, you can call it whatever you want, but even a quick browse of this LONG thread...if you think it's a stroll/walk/hike...you're a Dolt/Numbnut/ID10T...not to mention that we're seeing multiple Guide Reports as Epic Fails...with the Fail Rate close to 100%...but that doesn't mean you can't have a S/L of fun up there!!!

#106023 - 04/01/24 09:08 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Besides that look at the last web cam capture tonight what we call a light breeze across the ridge 4-1 -24
try the 24 hour( time lapse) to see how the day goes also.

#106024 - 04/02/24 06:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

04.02.2024 Road Conditions:
========================

Rockfall Gate (up above the 2 switchbacks) is LOCKED...

Road Crews (at least they didn't yell at me) were working the upper road...

It's mostly done all the way around the Portal...a Front Loader is still parked up there, so they must be planning other work...

Here are some photos:

I did ride around the locked gate...well off of the road on dirt...one of the Road Crew saw me, drove down and told me to get out...I moved the bike down to the Upper Turnout and hoofed it up from there...

#106025 - 04/02/24 06:32 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Lower Boy Scout Lake (Climb) - 04.02.2024
=====================================

Put in a snowshoe track up the Old Trail...
There were plenty of tracks heading beyond the JM Wilderness sign...
I crossed the NF and headed up the MR...
Essentially the same track used for the past couple of months...
Same crossing of the stream at the place I played Tarzan...
(At least 2 Guided Groups have crossed here, so what's my problem?)
Still not trusting things, I stood there for probably 15 whacking away at the remaining snow...
Ah, there's a big Willow Branch keeping people from falling in...

A climber surprised me as I was getting ready to cross...
He made The Notch and said the snow up there is VERY DEEP...

(The track above "smelled" like a KW Work of Art.)
As I wished, it contoured up into the Forest on the South side of the Canyon...

There are some pretty steep sections, so below freezing temps, with crampons would be preferable to snowshoes in the afternoon...

Oh, and the climber reported that there is a bear up at LBSL...

Here are some photos:

Old Trail Terran.

North Fork Crossing.

Terrain above the stream crossing.

E-Ledges.

Whitney finally snows up...

Heading down.

Main Trail on the way down...lots of dirt showing...

#106026 - 04/02/24 08:11 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Hey saw your scooter at the mid gate , Doug and I went up to check locks gossip was new locks but found the old ones below .
We will wait several weeks and start moving back in should open late april ???? or mid when ever

#106027 - 04/03/24 05:43 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Nice alpenglow on the webcam this morning.

What will conditions be like on mid-whenever?

#106028 - 04/03/24 03:48 PM Re: 2024 [Re: hightinerary]
paul Offline

Again, thanks for the pictures.

Actually, I will be spending the weekend up in Lone Pine this weekend. It's my 75th birthday which leads to my 60th year of hiking in the Sierras this Summer. I have 6 trips planned so far. My first trip was 1965 at the age of 15. It was a nine-day trip over Kearsarge Pass.

I'll probably hike up to the Portal starting at the lower gate. The reason is to just get some exercise. If I drove up as far as I could go, it wouldn't help my exercising.

Also, a great trip report.

Paul

#106029 - 04/04/24 05:13 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Jeff M Offline

Happy 75th, Paul! Pretty much the best way to spend a birthday---and the best way to exercise. Have a great weekend. (But don't post pictures! It will only make some of us jealous ;-)

#106030 - 04/05/24 11:51 AM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Yeah, Happy 75th...
I hope you get better weather than we've been getting down here in RC...kind of cold and really windy...with surprise rain showers.

#106031 - 04/09/24 08:44 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Offline

Thanks guys....

I hiked both days, Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I hiked from the closed sign at the bottom to the Portal. Quite a few people offered me ride up. However, I had to explain each time that I wanted the exercise and that I appreciate their offer.

As Richard posted, there was no snow or ice on the road until about 200 feet from the store, and then it was ice. I did fall once on the black ice.

On Sunday, I toured the family campgroung. There were lots of bare spots.

I decided to see for my self the closure on the Whitney Portal Road. It's been almost a year and couldn't understand why it is taking so long.

I was blown away on how much damage there is. On some parts of the road next to where the creek would normally flow under the road, there must still be a foot or more of boulders and debris still on the road. Some portions of the road have been undercut by the water.

There is a new, very impressive culvert, under the road, but that is about all. I still think the road openning is several months a way. Maybe Doug could shed some light on what is going on.

Getting back to the road conditions, I am hoping that the road to Horseshoe Meadows opens early May.

Paul

#106032 - 04/10/24 05:54 PM Re: 2024 [Re: paul]
Doug Sr Offline

Spent the day looking over the Portal , snow holding in the tree covered areas. still need a week or more of warm days . So how this works: if we have a system for several days the melt slows or stops the last month we have had several systems and have lost several weeks of melt.
Road is clear and dry in the south facing area but still some ice and snow in the upper Portal area and the campground.

Guide groups going up often now so a good track is in for the north fork. Still most turning around before the summit slow travel and cold/windy conditions.

On the Portal Road update , no real update gossip is not June not August maybe Oct maybe no real update now . I gave a talk last fall at the supervisior meeting about the road and supported the Federal plan to rebuild , the pitch then was mid june paving now mid April ...

We did getan update on Lone Pine Campground open sometime this coming summer , not today.

The snow /runoff / avalanches and past fires are the major delays for many of these projects plus lack of a full workforce.

We have water to the store but no futher down canyon , some valves covered by snow cleared off the parking areas and road and frozen sections we couldn't find , the plan is check early next week on flow below the upper Portal. This is about how it goes every year so not a problem .

Different opening dates for the road so watch Inyo County Road updates .

Many cars at the mid parking area so space will be very limited for the weekend .

Wet Slides in the area so be on the lookout for slides stay clear of the run out areas Lower Boyscout lake for sure may slide soon. (south edge of the lake and onto upper on the north facing slope.

#106033 - 04/11/24 11:09 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
LSUTiger Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I know it is really early and things can change quick but I have a trip planned on Mt. Whitney at the end of July. We were there last year at the end of June and couldn’t make it to the top with the conditions and the amount of snow that the area got last year. Just wondering….in comparison to last year is there as much snow in the area? Seems like last year was a record year for snowfall on Whitney?

#106035 - 04/12/24 10:59 AM Re: 2024 [Re: LSUTiger]
Jim F Offline

Hi LSU Tiger,

Indeed, last year was a big snow year. As you discovered when you were there last year in late June, trying the switchbacks then was not a good idea. At that time, the Snow Chute up to Trail Crest was still the consensus route.

When you will be here this year in late July, it seems reasonable to expect that the switchbacks should be clear of significant lingering snow from this winter. But there still could be some fresh snow from a recent passing summer storm. Moreover, I would guess that negotiating the snow field near the Summit will be easier this year in late July.

In summary, planning a trip now for late July seems very reasonable.

Jim

#106038 - 04/14/24 06:34 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
socaljohnson Offline

Loc: san diego
Hoping to clarify a few things I've read about the road to Whitney Portal.

For the people who are parking outside the gate is this because it is not open because it is out of the permit season or is there repairs/clearing going on? It seems like both are happening but I am not certain.

We are permitted to hike on May 5th and I am wondering if they typically have the road open by the time anyone with a permit hikes or is it still up in the air depending on weather.

Thanks!

#106039 - 04/14/24 08:30 PM Re: 2024 [Re: socaljohnson]
Doug Sr Offline

All of the above Road is cleared but we always have repair sweeping and more snow .
I would plan on road open ,What the main issue is we still have deep snow on the main trail this creates many false trails,many people will try the next few weeks before the permit season .Example Saturday night low forecast 5 degrees and storms all weekend.
With snow skills should be about an average winter hike.Could be some warming the next several weeks and if a track is in travel goes OK stay in the track.
We are going up often now (to the Portal) so will put a few reports on.

#106040 - 04/15/24 05:06 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
socaljohnson Offline

Loc: san diego
Thank you, Doug. Where is the best place to view the recent reports and any updates?

#106041 - 04/15/24 07:31 AM Re: 2024 [Re: socaljohnson]
Doug Sr Offline

We are next to the trailhead and talk with hikers coming down all the time also we are in the weather , not just a I think it is.. and others that come down will post on here.

Follow the webcam for snow coverage and review the time lapse option and look at the view n/s will give you a good idea of snow condition for the east side

This site goes back over 20 years and has thousands of photos /reports.

#106046 - 04/20/24 07:14 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL

My wife and I are planning to do the JMT again this year but want to start at Cottonwood Lakes, summit Langley, and then continue onto Whitney and the JMT via the Sand Hill to Discovery Pinnacle. Late July start date.

There is a really good post here http://www.mountwhitneyforum.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=49311 on a route, but unfortunately being 16 years old the pictures no longer work.

I know people have done this route recently, but any accounts from folks on here? How bad is the Sand Hill?

Is there any camping closer to Crabtree Pass on the south side as opposed to staying down at Sky Blue Lake? Is it too exposed?

#106047 - 04/20/24 08:27 AM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Richard P. Offline

https://piotrowski.smugmug.com/California-Mountains/Mount-Whitney/HM-Whitney-Portal-091209

That's one album that will show some photos...There are many others as heading thru the Mitre Basin is one of my Sierra favorites (although I haven't been doing much beyond Whit and TP/CP Loop recently...)

We only had day packs...but, I think the Dreaded Sand Hill is over-rated in difficulty...I just stay at a pace that doesn't have me redline and enjoy the views (look down...) Oh, and don't start too late up so you don't get baked by the sun...

#106048 - 04/20/24 08:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Jim F Offline

Philxor,

Just south of Crabtree Pass I like to camp at either of two tarns well above Lake 12129. From these tarns, a fifteen minute hike takes one to Crabtree Pass.

A couple of times I have done the traverse below Mt McAdie that Kashcraft learned about from Bob R. It avoids any significant loss in elevation to get to the other side, but I had only a 14 lb pack. I would not have attempted it if starting the JMT with a full load.

If you drop to the Upper Crabtree Lake from Crabtree Pass, when you approach the lake outlet, you can then determine if going up the Sandhill will work for you specifically. If not, just go down the lakes and wrap around to start your approach of Whitney from the Hitchcock Lakes or Guitar Lake. (Again, I have only done the Sandhill from the outlet with a minimal pack).

The Miter Basin is a gem. It seems so remote, yet is only a few miles from Whitney Portal. Enjoy!

Jim

#106049 - 04/21/24 04:14 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Jim F]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL
Thanks very much for the pictures and the pointers.

Langley and exploring the Miter Basin are the two drivers. We left from Cottonwood Pass last year due to snow conditions and would like to see more of that area.

Glad to hear the two tarns have decent camping, as we'd like to tackle the Sand Hill and Whitney as early as possible in the morning. That will be the start of day 3 and we are resupplying in OV. We aren't super UL but hopefully are in the 25lb range.

We are also planning a couple routes like you mentioned, if the Sand Hill doesn't work for us with the full packs we'll take the more route around.

#106050 - 04/22/24 04:00 AM Re: 2024 [Re: philxor]
Richard P. Offline

I found this (read the intro...):
https://piotrowski.smugmug.com/California-Mountains/Mount-Whitney/Mt-Whitney-August-21-2009
while looking for the album from a trip with Shin over Mt. Irvine...down into the Miter Basin, around to Crabtree Meadow and up Whitney.

I wasn't able to locate the album, so maybe Shin can chime in with his...

BTW, that was a HIGHLIGHT TRIP...including an invitation to have dinner with Rob Pilewski (SEKI Ranger) at Crabtree...

#106051 - 04/22/24 06:45 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

#106052 - 04/22/24 07:32 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
I found the album of 2010. I picked up several picture of each activity of 2010, so the album is big. The trip Richard was talking about was 09/03/2010-09/06/2010. It an old album but the mountains haven't changed much. The hike was one of the most memorable hikes ever in good (adventurous cross-country hike) and bad (unable to adjust high elevation).

Doug Sr. suggested that climbing up Mt. Irvine then, hike down to Miter basin.... (Later we thought Doug tricked us. It wasn't easy hike. It was a very challenge hike.) Richard plan was camp near Grass Lake on Maysan trail, next day Mt. Irvine, Green pass, near Mt. Mallory, down to Miter basin and camp, next day cross-country hike to Crabtree pass down to Crabtree campground, next day hike up to Mt. Whitney then down to Whitney portal.

My highlights of the trip.
1)I met Mr. Jim F. very first time in person on the ridge of Mt. Irvine. I was honored to meet him.
2)The scenery was beyond my imagination.
3)I suffered the altitude sickness, couldn't eat or drink.
One lady hiker offered me an orange at Crabtree campground. I survived on one orange rest of my hike. Richard had a nice hot meal with a ranger while I was dying... He knew everyone there.
Giga Mike told me at Grass Lake that my pack was heavier than his winter pack. I was carrying too much food. I was totally inexperienced on long high-altitude hike.
4)I took a long nap at the Trail Crast while Richard hiked up the Whitney summit.
5)Richard came down with Rick G. They were so fast.
6)I experienced the real experienced hiker's, Richard P., abilities (hiking endurance and conditioning, navigational knowledge and skills, hiking efficiencies, and calmness) in real situations.
7)I met many really experienced hikers from this trip.

This album contains many interesting events of WPSMB took place a long time ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6mvZMPJT8dq6xfCp9

#106054 - 04/22/24 12:33 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Shin]
Jeff M Offline

Great pictures and memories, Shin & Richard. Bittersweet seeing too many of our mountain family who are no longer with us, though.

But I remember when you and Richard were out there, I was looking for you from the crest. (It was that Sunday I did Whitney "by accident" haha.) Great times...

#106065 - 04/25/24 06:10 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Jeff M]
Doug Sr Offline

Several updates first snow is clearing on the south facing slopes , still snow starting long before Lone Pine Lake. Warm days at the Portal reaching near 60 degrees mid day , Gate still closed at the overflow lot and last weekend cars parked down to the turn to the campground.
Many going up the north fork to ski but getting soft early and lower canyon done for the season.

We plan to open about the same time as the Campground if the roads are open , that could be May 2 food service starting that Saturday May 4 if water is up and running with the test results back .

Hey check the webcam! Thor is melting and I can see the switchback area is starting to look like rock showing , still will be weeks before clear but at least not like last year.

#106071 - Yesterday at 09:43 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Brett Williams Online

Loc: LA, CA
@Doug Sr, do you think a May 10 summit is possible?

#106072 - Yesterday at 07:08 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Brett Williams]
Doug Sr Offline

Brett it will be a snow hike with sluch and ice depends on time of day and elevation. Backside past trailcrest should be mostly clear but I would expect drifts in the shadows and these can be icy.
Not sure if this is a day hike or several days , day hike with these condition will be slow and lower portion will get you wet as walking in soft snow that is melting and the trail will have running water down the trail, this will most likely freeze overnight so coming down during the night will be slower than going up. Above 12,000 trailcamp area the trail will not be melted out and a hike up the snow field is used , this area is about a Blue Ski run steep but not that bad when it is soft , trouble is this area can freeze over late afternoon and can be a problem coming down So understanding the time frame , when conditins change for example one wants to travel the lower section early to stay on the top of the snow following a track, then reach the upper area when the sun has softened up the slope, back down before it can ice and trudge the lowwer section in the sluch.
I always say go until you have reached you comfort level and enjoy the mountain .
I should add many will tell you "BUY GEAR" I always say if you haven't used the item or had training using the gear it could trick you into an unsafe position.

#106074 - Today at 12:24 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
ComradeBear Online

Loc: California, USA
Has anybody recently been on or received info regarding the status of the snow bridges on the North Fork? Looking for status of lower canyon, between LBSL and UBSL, and the final 400. Any information is helpful!

#106075 - Today at 04:07 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Brett Williams Online

Loc: LA, CA
so helpful! thank you.

We have a 1 day permit, and plan to leave around midnight or 1am to make it up and down as early as possible. we are all experienced hikers in altitude and in good shape. we feel its possible if we get the conditions right. this is helpful! thank you!

will post an update once we do it!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes