Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#105950 - 03/07/24 03:40 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tactiphobe]
Minnesota John Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I didn’t even make to little Boy Scout lake. The snow was just too deep and was kicking my ass. Three guys (from Atlanta) were going up as I was coming down. I wonder how there doing. Did you go to Joshua tree?

#105951 - 03/07/24 03:48 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

Hi Doug. I was stashing some boots in the bear food locker next to the bathrooms by the store and noticed a ziplock bag that had $50 to $100 in cash, phone, kindle, drivers license, credit cards, etc. Very weird because no one was on the mountain. Don’t know how long it’s been there. I left it there and told Richard about it and he was going to take it and try and find out what’s going on. Ever heard of the name David Isaac van Cleve ? License says he’s from Chicago

#105952 - 03/07/24 05:19 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Minnesota John Offline

Great meeting you today Richard. I’d like another shot at it Monday. This time with a daypack. Maybe with your guidance we can get up a little higher then my feeble attempt. By then the road might be open up to meysan and more tracks!

I’m gonna check out that onion valley. I thought you mentioned another area near onion valley, something about them plowing the road due to the housing development.

#105953 - 03/07/24 06:02 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
tactiphobe Offline

Loc: MA
I did make it to Joshua Tree. It was so nice! Sorry your hike didn't go as planned.

#105954 - 03/07/24 08:27 PM Re: 2024 [Re: tactiphobe]
Minnesota John Offline

Thank you. It’s not a huge disappointment. From what people were telling me about current conditions I was prepared for failure but I had to see for myself. I’m hoping to go back in a few days for a day hike and see if I can’t get a bit higher.

#105955 - 03/07/24 09:18 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Pappy Offline

Loc: CA, USA
What was on your feet: snow shoes? boots & crampons? Just curious.

I'm all about maximum information gain with minimal/no injury. It sounds like and interestingn adventure and I'm sure Monday will give you one too.

#105956 - 03/07/24 09:23 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Cool meeting you, too...
A lot going on today...Snow Flurries for hours...MJ and the 3 guys from Atlanta...

I met the 3 guys from Atlanta just as I was getting to Split Rock...1 had downclimbed it and the 2 others were working it...Talked there for about 15 minutes...told me about dropping thru the crust at where you guys were crossing the stream...

I headed up over to where the trail drops down to the creek and had lunch...Tried descending to the creek at the "summer trail" crossing and was waist deep in snow...(you guys went a little high)...so I waddled my way back to your tracks and headed down...

I have to say: THIS WAS THE BEST TRACKS I'VE SEEN UP THE NF IN A LONG TIME...don't know if they were yours, or Pappy's...but whoever put them in deserves a pat on the back!

AG's (Atlanta Guys) were surprised to see back down at the NF Junction so fast...they were setting up a camp by the Wilderness Sign...cool spot...they invited me to stop for coffee on my way down...

I broke trail up the Main Trail side to Lone Pine Lake...and then hauled @$$ back down to the AG's camp site...spent another 20, or so, BS'ing with them and came up with a plan for an early May attempt in a round-about way (they like the idea of the MR up to Iceberg, over Whitney/Russell, down the Arctic Lake Drainage, climb the West Face and then home via the MR...(4 days...maybe.)

So, I don't think the NF will be worth the effort (unless we hear a Guided Group goes up this weekend)...

A couple of alternatives: Up to Lone Pine Lake fairly quickly (since the track is in) and then up to Bighorn Park...

From Bighorn Park we can either do:
-the climb up to Mirror Lake and beyond
=the South Face of Thor Peak (a little bit of scrambling if I recall correctly) up onto the summit slope and a snowshoe to the summit. The views will blow your mind...

I'm open...you're the visitor...so you get to choose...

I'll post some photos tomorrow...

BTW: I do have the goods...we're getting towards the time of year where ..........., so I grabbed the baggie from the bear box...I think I'm going to send a letter first to make sure they still are at the address listed...if they contact me, I'll Priority Mail it out...If they don't, I'll turn it in to the FS Lost-and-Found...

#105957 - 03/07/24 09:29 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

I was on snowshoes from the WP Store up...kept them on until below the Meysan Lakes TH...

#105958 - 03/07/24 11:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Some photos from 03.07.2024:

Tracks on the NF leading up past where the Summer Crossing is.

Google Maps showing the Summer Crossing.

Lone Pine Lake Junction.

Looking down towards the Whitney Zone area.

Log Crossing.

#105959 - 03/07/24 11:04 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Long story about goods left in the area,change a few years ago We were told leave where found or call Inyo County Sheriff's dispatch to report .
Hey gossip is a guide group going in tomorrow ,guide is the person that did the 16/1 attempts great person and very strong climber also very well focused on safety

Your trip was just about the worst conditions,fresh snow over old,high wind gust with the storms and weather not clearing out even today. Knowing the route makes all the difference also.
We can alter the path to adjust for conditions,climbing at times on rock to avoid drifts,or to gain elevation quickly .
I always suggest going and make the turn around when a person can experience the condition and understand OH this is fun anymore!
You also drew out several members that have years of experience and we have all these adventures that add to the yup that didn't turn out that. well! My brother told me on one adventure if he had a gun he would of shot me ,We were on a climb in Colorado and my ego go us stuck for hours!

Edited by Doug Sr (03/07/24 11:07 PM)
Edit Reason: 16 not 26

#105960 - 03/08/24 05:53 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

It looks like a third option for Monday has been added...

Doug, where's the nearest Inyo County Sheriff's office?
I'll still try to contact the owner...if no response, I'll hand the package over to the Sheriff.

#105961 - 03/08/24 06:25 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
No office in LP just call dispatch and set up meeting location 1 760 878 0383.

#105962 - 03/08/24 07:01 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By Minnesota John
I’m gonna check out that onion valley. I thought you mentioned another area near onion valley, something about them plowing the road due to the housing development.

Aspendell above Bishop if you're heading up that far north. Hwy 168.

#105963 - 03/08/24 01:44 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
Plowed to the gate at Aspendell but plenty of snow on the road above the gate to either Lake Sabrina or North Lake. Each about two miles from the gate.

#105964 - 03/08/24 04:00 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Doug Sr]
Minnesota John Offline

Thinking about going back up. What does everyone think of the forecast Sunday to Tuesday?

#105966 - 03/09/24 04:30 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Minnesota John]
Richard P. Offline

Forecast I've seen shows a slight chance of snow on Tuesday.

If the guided group makes at least LBSL, that would make your climb a bit easier.

#105967 - 03/09/24 09:23 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Pappy Offline

Loc: CA, USA
>I have to say: THIS WAS THE BEST TRACKS I'VE SEEN UP THE NF IN A LONG TIME...don't know if they were yours, or Pappy's...but whoever put them in deserves a pat on the back!

I don't think I can claim having made any of those. At best I helped choose the better tracks and pund them in some more. When I was there I was doing my best to find any tracks already made whether show shoes, skis, or boots, and then trying to assess if the tracks were worth following and could I walk normally or if some technique modification was needed. Some tracks up higher I was walking in a line (like there was a tight rope) in order not to punch through. I was finding and following tracks all the way to Iceberg. I was also making some of my own like on the steep little section just before Iceberg where I opted to front point and get on all fours, with a whippet in one hand and an axe in the other. I did a lot of sledding as a kid in the midwest and that area looked like great sledding terrain but some lines would lead you into a very abrupt stop via colliding with boulders.

If I were up there now (and man I wish I could take another week off of work) I'd 100% wait for the guided group to make a path, just to make more effective use of time. This is unless of course you're interested in a much slower trail blazing type experience that I assume would mandate snow shoes or skis/skins. I've blazed trail on Mt Shasta and if you make the mental shift into "endurance experience with large margin for error" it's fine, but the pace is slow and the calories burned are significant. I went up 5k feet with snowshoes there and enjoyed myself but I was enjoying the moment and didn't care if I summited (which I did not on that trip). Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

#105968 - 03/13/24 05:56 AM Re: 2024 [Re: Pappy]
Richard P. Offline

No words necessary...
I wouldn't have wanted to be up there yesterday...
Looks like the mountain is in for some nasty winds over the next few days
Sitting at home watching, rather than climbing...
I'm thinking it may be time for a N to S Trailhead report...
Spring is about a week away...looks like another Winter goes by without an ascent...

#105969 - 03/13/24 06:27 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

The ride to Onion Valley was a bust...
The Road Crews put up a real roadblock this year...
A ton gardening gear might get you a path thru the brush...
I did stop on the road up to snap a pic of the canyon...

Frustrated, I headed down to Lone Pine and up WP Rd...
If I can ride this bike up past the minor snow patches, so can you...(I was the highest vehicle today.)

I didn't bring any gear, so my plan was the Main Trail to the NF Junction...I walked past the store and started sinking considerably, so after a photo of the WPS, it was down to the Trailhead...

It was so easy (Lower Main Trail has LOTS of dry trail.), I headed up the NF...made it to where some crazy people are crossing thru the willows... (This is the same spot I was playing Tarzan as the snow dropped out...) I headed back down...

As I was heading down, I stopped to take a look at the North Side / Rockwell Shortcut / Wall Route...it looks almost dry enough to try...

There were additional tracks on the Main Trail Side past the Wilderness Sign...I tried taking to Old Trail down, but sank pretty deep on the 3rd, or 4th, step, so I went back via the Main Trail...

Here are a few photos:

Santa Barbara Middle School field trip...how cool is this?

North Fork past the Summer Stream Crossing...

#105970 - 03/14/24 01:03 PM Re: 2024 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Richard,

I have been following your posts carefully. Thanks!

Good to see lots of dry segments on the lower Main Trail.

Spring starts next week. As Doug has suggested over the years, time to start watching the top of Thor.

Hopefully, some of the Middle School youth can return in the Summer and enjoy some camping, hiking, and good eats at the Store.

Jim

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes