Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105805 - 10/29/23 09:00 AM The Portal Store
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
So Doug, are you winding on down and packing up? just curious since I may drive up in the next week or two.

paul

#105806 - 10/29/23 07:46 PM Re: The Portal Store [Re: paul]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Hey Paul Richard didn't stop by,so no free lunch will put aside for next year or maybe lunch at the Heroes Hike on Mount Baldy Nov 11.
Tomorrow is the last day open will be packing and moving down for several days. Might practice hike from the bottom a few times to get ready for the winter!

#105808 - 10/30/23 06:21 AM Re: The Portal Store [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Well, there's another Summer that's gone by without hitting that next magic number...

If I'd only known I had a free burger coming...

#105810 - 10/30/23 02:16 PM Re: The Portal Store [Re: Richard P.]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Sorry Richard. I think Doug is good for it next year. However, if Doug would issue gift cards, that would work.

Paul

#105813 - 11/03/23 11:06 AM Re: The Portal Store [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

I went up to Horseshoe Meadows yesterday to put in some time at altitude...(Trail/Cottonwood Passes Loop again)

-Weather was outstanding...(mid-fifties would be a guess - I was too warm in a thin merino wool base layer and sun shirt)
-Foliage is more brown than orange/yellow...
-The side streams (2) that are still running are frozen where the water isn't running fast...(Obviously, the water at the Trailhead is shut off)
-Not a soul in sight...

Hopefully, the Thompson's still own the WPS next year...:-)

#105814 - 11/05/23 06:45 PM Re: The Portal Store [Re: Richard P.]
Strider Offline

Yesterday, no-permit-required Nov 1st, arrived at Whitney Portal about 8:30 am. No overnight parking spaces above the mostly full Overflow parking lot. Many hikers up and down the trail. Perfect weather. My plan was to do a Zone-2 level hike up to Trail Camp to see how my trail training at that level for the last two months would fair on Whitney. Actually, went really well. Kept my heart rate below 130. About 20% slower but no aches or pains in the tendons, muscles, joints, and ligaments which usually attend me as I push my 72yo body up the tail. Had the Portal Store been open, they would have been quite busy.

#105815 - 11/06/23 06:24 AM Re: The Portal Store [Re: Strider]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Sorry we missed you Strider, we are a product of the past, when to open and close, most years it is open late April and wait for three snow storms in the fall this year dry (one little system early Oct and a cold period mid Oct) It takes about a week to clear out the store and shut everything down, and close down the water system. We finished late Thursday and could see it was going to be a busy weekend in the Portal and will be until a system covers the trail.
The questions during the closing were not encouraging Wag Bags ! whats that ? Overnight permit ?? I was going to hang my food , Rangers on the trail?
I noticed a Heliocopter photo from the summit over the weekend.
The nights are cold and black ice around all the water crossing, could be a problem.
Today 9 PM the registration for the "Heroes Hike" Nov 11 2023 on Mount Baldy closes . This is the tenth year and we will join the group , we are team wpsmb hope to see a large turn out and please read about the event and why it is a great cause Thanks

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine