Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105781 - 10/03/23 10:46 AM Mt Whitney Conditions
Angela Offline

Loc: Scotts Valley
Hello. I had a few friends summit Mt Whitney the afternoon of Oct 2nd. Hoping to hear back from them today. Has anyone gone up yesterday or today and can let me know what conditions are like. They camped last night at Constellation lake and were going to hike out today.

#105782 - 10/03/23 11:10 AM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: Angela]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Talked with several groups that came down from Trailcamp yesterday about 6-8 inches of snow and the trail was hard to follow going higher so most returned , storm cleared about noon yesterday lower elevation but was clear higher , some wind so I would expect drifts , switchback area is snow covered ( we can see the area from the Portal) Few going up today . Looks like dry to about 10,000 elevation.snow should clear to the 12,000 ' in a few days but above that expect snow packed tracked, worst conditions now fresh snow over rock and patches of ice below, short hours of light and cold .

#105783 - 10/03/23 01:09 PM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Doug,

Thanks for the timely Conditions Update. Was planning on hiking the Mountain tomorrow. But now have decided to hold off and observe for a few days.

Jim

#105784 - 10/08/23 03:18 PM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: Jim F]
tareach Offline

Loc: CA
Good afternoon Jim,

Did you summit? Has there been anyone else make the hike these past few days?

I am planning on hiking this Friday. The weather conditions over the next several days looks great.

Can anyone provide any additional information?

Thanks everyone.

Todd

#105786 - 10/08/23 05:38 PM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: tareach]
Jim F Offline

Todd,

I have a permit for this Wednesday (Oct 11). If I hike, I will post my observations late Thursday.

Hope to enjoy some of the Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierras, as well.

Jim

#105788 - 10/09/23 08:58 AM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: Jim F]
tareach Offline

Loc: CA
Jim,

Thank you very much. Look forward to your post!

Todd

#105790 - 10/12/23 06:25 PM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: tareach]
Jim F Offline

Spent a few days in the Eastern Sierras enjoying the Fall Colors and a hike up Mt Whitney. After a double cheeseburger and an update from Doug and Doug on Tuesday at the Whitney Portal Store, I headed up the Trail early on Wednesday (Oct 11).

The conditions were near perfect, except for a challenging wind (just as forecasted). A gust could give one quite a push, and it paid to be particularly alert near drop offs. I had the Summit to myself for awhile. Much of the time on the Summit was spent in the Summit Hut.

The creeks are running low (finally!).

Lakes, ponds, and waterfalls are not yet frozen.

The spring at the 23rd Switchback is done for the year.

Some snow is on the Trail between the Cables and Trail Crest. Micro spikes could be of use in the Cable Area and on one section of the lengthy final Switchback.

A consensus use trail is forming just to the east of the Summit Snow Field which covers the Trail. Watch for cairns. Or, if so inclined, just boulder straight up to rejoin the Trail.

Awesome Fall Colors are present in Bighorn Park and in an area on the Trail below Lone Pine Lake.

A few hearty hikers were encountered completing the JMT and PCT.

What a great time of year!

Jim

#105792 - 10/12/23 10:04 PM Re: Mt Whitney Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Hey thanks for another great report. System came in with the wind you mentioned,33 at the store 9 AM and stayed at 34 till just before noon ,had a short warmer period till about 3 PM .Most are day hikers now and starting early so bring layers ,gloves and a head wrap of some sort,cold enough short stops are all you can do ,hiking you are creating heat once you stop chills can start quickly.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine