Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105728 - 08/19/23 10:45 PM 150th Anniversary of First Ascent
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
On August 18, 1873 three Lone Pine residents Charles Begole, Albert Johnson, and John Lucas made the first ascent of Mt Whitney. Yesterday Friday August 18, 2023 marked the 150th anniversary of the the first ascent.

To celebrate the first ascent anniversary, my daughter Katherine and her fiance Danny flew out from Pittsburgh to join me. We camped three nights at the Whitney Portal Family Campground.

Yesterday the Mountain granted us near perfect conditions on our hike up the Main Trail to the Summit. The number of day and overnight hikers heading to the Summit was large, as one might expect mid summer. Hikers in substantial numbers are once again coming up from the west side, but few seem to be completing the High Sierra Trail.

Except for a few insignificant lingering snow patches, the Main Trail is finally clear of snow. Creek crossings are no longer an issue and can now be done without shoes getting significantly wet. The main issue for us was the large amount of ice on the lower switchbacks when we went up them at 5:30. (Sunrise was at 6:05.) Boulder hopping to the right of the summit snowfield is still the consensus route after the Keeler Needle. No boot track has been established in the snowfield following the trail.

As we traversed the backside from Discovery Pinnacle to the Summit, we wondered which line did the Three Fisherman take from the west on their first ascent in 1873.

During our stay at Whitney Portal, we enjoyed breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Whitney Portal Store, as well as talking to Doug, Doug, and Cayden. Katherine and Danny had several lengthy discussions (often philosophical) with Doug Sr who very appropriately also celebrated his birthday on August 18.

As I write this note, Katherine and Danny are on their red-eye flight back to Pittsburgh. Their bags contain beautiful 150th Anniversary t-shirts. They will forever remember this hiking experience and their interaction with the Whitney Portal Store Crew.

Jim

#105729 - 08/20/23 02:18 PM Re: 150th Anniversary of First Ascent [Re: Jim F]
ClimbSTRONG Offline

Loc: Aptos, California, USA
Great information Jim! Thanks for posting.
I'm going to Trail Camp on Tuesday, then a summit attempt on Wednesday. I'm sure things will be somewhat different after the storm.
Regarding the ice low on the switchbacks, do you recommend micro spikes, etc. Or just prudent caution?
Thanks in advance,
Gary

#105731 - 08/20/23 07:04 PM Re: 150th Anniversary of First Ascent [Re: ClimbSTRONG]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Gary,

On Friday, we saw no hiker using micro spikes on the area where ice covered the lower switchbacks. However, everyone proceeded very cautiously there and progress was slow.

Most hikers we encountered wore micro spikes on crossing the two patches of snow above the Cables.

Given the transition in conditions that the Mountain might currently be experiencing, one strategy is the following: Take everything you might need to the TH. Check out things first hand. Talk to the folks at the Portal Store and hikers coming off the Mountain. I use the Store and the TH parking lot as my research library.

Jim

#105732 - 08/20/23 09:22 PM Re: 150th Anniversary of First Ascent [Re: Jim F]
ClimbSTRONG Offline

Loc: Aptos, California, USA
Great advice Jim, we'll follow it!
Gary

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek