Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105713 - 08/16/23 12:27 PM Whitney Portal Shuttle
Sulu Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hey, everyone. I'm looking for a reliable shuttle service to transport me from the Whitney Portal to the Onion Valley Trailhead. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm specifically asking for a solid recommendation because I just had a terrible experience with EAST SIDE SIERRA SHUTTLE. We arranged a shuttle with this this scam operation in the area. He insisted we pre-pay 50% in advance. I called him several days before the trip to confirm. He assured me with 100% certainty that we were on his schedule for pick up. The day comes, and he’s a complete no-show. He doesn’t answer his phone, he doesn’t return messages. So, Day 1 of our trip was a total disaster. I eventually got in touch with him, and he said that I somehow “disappeared” off his Google calendar. Then he said that this was the third time that happened to him this year!! He said he’d refund my money, but he never did. Then I finally checked his reviews on Yelp (which I should've done pre-trip---my bad) and saw that he regularly scams unsuspecting backpackers and steals their money. So, unless you want to be stranded, do NOT use East Side Sierra Shuttle.

Thanks for any reliable recommendations!

#105714 - 08/16/23 05:15 PM Re: Whitney Portal Shuttle [Re: Sulu]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL
Lone Pine Kurt. LonePineKurt at aol.com , if you need his number let me know.

So East Side Sierra Shuttle I wouldn't categorize as a scammer. Just really unorganized which leads to unreliability, which isn't what you need when you are on a fixed schedule. His driving skills are also...a bit special. smile

#105715 - 08/16/23 05:21 PM Re: Whitney Portal Shuttle [Re: philxor]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL
Also you can try the Lone Pine chamber of commerce.

#105718 - 08/17/23 01:29 PM Re: Whitney Portal Shuttle [Re: philxor]
Sulu Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I'm sorry, but he is a scammer. He stiffs unsuspecting backpackers all the time and never refunds their money. Just look at his Yelp reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/east-side-sierra-shuttle-independence

Yes, he's disorganized, but he's stranding backpackers all the time, makes up lies, and then gets nasty about it. Shouldn't our community alert each other about all this??

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine