Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#105666 - 07/29/23 12:13 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
jeff_tahoe Offline

Loc: United States
Doug Sr,
Thank you for the response. I share your concern in these variable conditions that currently exist. I'm just looking for all the beta I can get before leaving. Of course you have to make the right decisions based on the conditions when you are on the mountain. I've summited 10k, 11k, and 12k peaks in the Sierras this year, as well as turned around on some.

Jim's last great report was a week ago and seem to be about every week (amazing Jim, thanks!). I was curious if there was an updated report.

Thank you all for taking the time to share with the group.

#105667 - 07/29/23 03:31 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: jeff_tahoe]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Reports today of a few people try the switchbcks but most still using the chute
Cable area is the tricky area , steep and exposed at the upper end of the cable area the trail makes a sharp turn and often this requires climbing up to join switchbacks above (climbing) steeper than the chute with a long fall line to the boulder field below.

It was 60 in the Portal this AM so the upper part of the chute could be stiff for the first hours of light.

#105668 - 07/30/23 07:39 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

Did a quick poll the last hour at the store which route did you take chute 7 switchbacks 4 one group up the chute down the switchbacks.Looks like a trail is starting around the cable area and the long to switchback before trailcrest.
Still exposure around the cable area that gear is needed

#105670 - 07/31/23 10:32 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Noticed that Rec.gov has W (Walk-up) listed on the site...

Has the FS gone back to walk-in permits for cancellations (wouldn't that be wonderful)???

#105671 - 08/01/23 05:54 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Wtny n1. Offline

We can only wish. I understand you still have to go thru Rec.gov and buy the permit again. Richard don't get me started on this.

crazy jack

#105672 - 08/01/23 06:49 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Wtny n1.]
Richard P. Offline

You want to storm the VC and do a Peaceful Sit-In?

#105673 - 08/01/23 07:47 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Wtny n1. Offline

count me in

#105674 - 08/01/23 08:37 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Wtny n1.]
Doug Sr Offline

So the 2 guys that have over 400 Whitney trips feel cheated they can't get more days?
Main problem people not canceling,

#105678 - 08/01/23 05:10 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Of course...we're old and I'm grumpy...

Maybe 600+ trips if you count the FAILURES (that were fun anyway)...

#105679 - 08/01/23 05:35 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
tcrabb Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have a permit for two for 8/11 and 8/12 with an overnight at Trail Camp. My buddy had to back out, so I have a spare slot if anyone would like to tag along. I’m hoping to do the switchbacks. I’m 52 and haven’t been up a mountain like this in a while, but have climbed several via more technical routes in the past. I won’t be trying to put my micro spikes on flip flops, but I’m also not going to attempt things I’m not comfortable with. If that doesn’t scare you off, send me an email at Titus.crabb@gmail.com.

#105684 - 08/02/23 09:28 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Jonas Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi all! My gf and I have a permit for this Saturday 8/5, and it will be our first time on Whitney. We were originally hoping to summit on 8/6 after camping at Trail Camp, but we were unaware until recently about the extent of the snow conditions this year. I was hoping to get the most up-to-date report about what all would be required to attempt to summit this weekend. We have microspikes and poles, we're in good shape, but we would still need to get axes if those are still a necessity at the moment. Any insight on the current accessibility of chute vs. switchbacks and whether axes are still mandatory? We are flexible to the idea of not reaching summit if we are uncomfortable with the conditions, so it would also be nice to hear if anyone has a favorite hike/destination to check out if summiting is not accessible for us. Thanks!

#105686 - 08/02/23 12:26 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Jonas]
Ohikero Offline

Loc: Ohio
From reading reports elsewhere, most to all are using the 99 on the way up, and many on the way down as well. The current consensus is there are still 3-4 winter traverses where spikes/poles/ice axe are helpful if not required. Those can still be quite dangerous until they melt out some more. Great caution is being advised on those traverses, especially near the cables.
Bouldering near the summit still required as well.

#105689 - 08/03/23 09:55 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Ohikero]
mmouser Offline

Loc: California
I'm climbing Whitney tomorrow 8/4. I brought Kahtoola MICROspikes and poles, but do you think it would be safer to purchase an ice axe (need one eventually anyways) and rent crampons from Elevation Sierra Adventure, assuming they fit my boots? Also curious if anyone has glissaded the chute recently and what that's looking like. thanks

#105695 - 08/07/23 03:57 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Ohikero]
Ohikero Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hoping someone in the know can answer this--we have 2 one-day permits for Aug 22nd, but would like to add a 3rd, my oldest son would love to go too. If we can snag another permit from someone, would he have to hike with that group, or could he go with us? Is it even legal to transfer/sell permits? Don't want to get up to Trail Camp or so just to have a ranger turn us around...

#105696 - 08/07/23 04:05 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Ohikero]
CBWT Offline

Loc: Florida
To my best understanding the permit holder MUST be with the group. There is a way to set a primary and alternate permit holder so there may be a way to "transfer" a permit that way.

I also believe that groups can walk together but they cannot be larger than 15 people.

Rangers are everywhere and strict. You can call the ranger station and ask them directly to get an honest, correct answer.

#105699 - 08/07/23 08:01 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Went up the Main Trail yesterday (Aug 6) and took the Switchbacks. As Doug Sr has noted, the Switchbacks have been "open" for two weeks. Yesterday they were exhibiting the form one would expect in the middle of Summer.

Four small patches of snow cross the trail, but only one remains significant. It crosses a steep snowfield towering above the west end of Trailside Meadow.

The Trail Crew has done a nice job cleaning up the debris left covering the Trail after last winter. There is evidence horses had been up the Trail helping the workers by carrying supplies. These helpers are not seen much anymore on the Main Trail.

Stream crossings are now much lower than just two weeks ago.

Looking from the Summit, one realizes the acceleration in the disappearance of snow across the Range. But still only one pack was seen stashed where the JMT and the Main Trail meet on the back side, as opposed to at least a dozen packs one would normally see in mid Summer.

On the Summit, I talked to several hikers who had camped the night before at Trail Camp. They had originally planned on hiking up the Switchbacks, summiting, and then glissading down the Chute to Trail Camp. However, their plans had changed after witnessing events from their campsites the day before. Apparently, a glissade down the Chute had gone bad. The subsequent emergency helicopter evacuation was a reality check. (Note: On my ascent and descent the following day, I saw no takers for ascending or descending the Chute.)

If one returns to the original post three months ago by Richard P (Aril 3) on the topic Whitney 2023, the change in conditions Whitney Portal has experienced is impressive.

Jim

#105700 - 08/08/23 05:59 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Thanks for the reports Jim...
I'm going to start a Go Fund Me so we can start getting some photos posted from you (assuming you're still running the disposables, instead of digital, or smart phone...)

Some random comments:

Who'd have thought that this late into summer, I still haven't made an appearance on the summit of Whitney...

The Trail Crews weren't in sight on the PCT (south of Cottonwood Pass) for the first time in nearly (maybe over) 2 months...there were surveyors flags on the ground in a "climb" (NoBo) that is still rutted, so maybe they'll be back...

Based on the crowds at both Onion Valley a few days ago and Horseshow Meadows yesterday, I'd say the word is out...even saw a (honest...I'd have gone over CP anyway) group going up Trail Pass, so Cottonwood must be "selling out."

There was a Rescue Vehicle up in the HM parking lot...

#105701 - 08/10/23 12:05 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Jammer Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks for the updates everyone. Hoping we get a few more reports before next week. We are set to hit the trail on 8/15. I have a decade of experience on the main trail and a few runs up the MR to above the E-ledges, but this is the first time for me with such prominent snow this late in the summer.

I know enough to turn back if the conditions exceed our comfort level, but I'm really hoping we are lucky enough to get just enough melting to get through the tricky areas like the cable section, etc. Hopefully, there will be some good updates from late week/weekend attempts to gauge our chances.

Good luck to everyone headed for the trail over the next few days!

#105702 - 08/10/23 01:39 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Jammer]
Jim F Offline

Jammer,

Based on what I observed on a day hike on the Main Trail 4 days ago (Aug 6), the Trail is now experiencing normal summer conditions, with the following exceptions:

(1) The Trail does a short traverse (maybe 30 yards)across a steep snow field at the west end of Trailside Meadow. On Aug 6, a skid down the snow field could have resulted injury. This patch of snow on the Trail will likely melt out soon.

(2) Avoiding the large summit snow field just past the Keeler Needle requires an easy (but somewhat tedious) 100 yard rock scramble. The scramble is "safe", provided some of the boulders are tested before loading.

On Aug 15, more problematic than residual snow might be the weather conditions. Currently, there seems to be some chance of rain, snow, and thunder. Of course, those conditions are not unusual on the Mountain in the summer. Even with a forecast for clear weather in the summer, on a day hike I carry some rain gear and have a plan for spending the night on the Mountain (if needed).

Have a great hike!

Jim

#105703 - 08/10/23 03:48 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Jim F]
Marmot John Offline

Loc: Earth
Hi Jim, what about this snow bridge I've heard about a few times, I -believe- it is near Trailside Meadow, is that still a thing? For some reason, the area I am always most uncomfortable in is that area just above that meadow, so I'm really hoping (praying) for a mostly dry walk down around August 24th (coming up and over from Guitar Lake).

Did you consider the cables to be pretty safe and at any time did you switch into a traction device?

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’