Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105567 - 07/02/23 04:47 PM Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass
BFR Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I was on Muah Mountain today and got a good shot of New Army Pass, which still looks covered in snow other than a small spot in the center which if memory serves me, should go.

#105569 - 07/03/23 04:09 AM Re: Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass [Re: BFR]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Did you manage to get to Muah without getting wet? A week ago, I wasn't able to find an easy crossing of the streams on the meadow...the crossing at the Mulkey Pass trail was wide and deep...

#105570 - 07/03/23 07:58 AM Re: Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass [Re: Richard P.]
BFR Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I was able to cross, but it was tricky. You can check out my gpx here:

[url=https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=2234222][/url]

#105608 - 07/11/23 04:39 PM Re: Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass [Re: BFR]
philxor Offline

Loc: ATL
I haven't seen too many reports of folks going over New Army Pass. I have a Cottonwood Lakes permit for a couple weeks from now headed over NAP. Any reports others have seen of crossing over NAP? Assume the cornice is there but is there a passable route around that?

#105614 - 07/15/23 04:33 PM Re: Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass [Re: philxor]
whegardt Offline

Loc: Tustin, CA
I wish I could help you. My permit is for middle of August. Be careful going over NAP. Years ago a group went up and over NAP, but when they returned it was too dangerous for them to go down. They had to hike around to Cottonwood pass. I'll be interested if you can post conditions after your hike.

#105622 - 07/17/23 07:56 PM Re: Here's a good shot of Langley and New Army Pass [Re: philxor]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
I headed up (late) for a hike up the New Army Pass Trail...
Couldn't cross the stream (without getting wet)...
So, I headed up to Cottonwood Lakes...
Tried to cross over to New Army Pass at the meadows, but again, was stopped by a stream crossing that would have required getting wet, so no approach to NAP...

Patches of snow to cross after reaching the meadow...
Essentially continuous snow at Lake Four...
My opinion: gear still required to get up Army Pass...

On the way down, I stopped to take a look at NAP and it appears that there is still a significant amount of snow up top...there also appeared to be "columns" of rock, so you might be able to zig-zag your way up over the top (just a guess)

There were quite a few people with big packs heading in the direction of Army Pass, so maybe there will be some reports soon...

I'll post a few photos tomorrow...

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’