Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#105617 - 07/17/23 01:40 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Bryan M]
GreggS Offline

Loc: Ca
Bryan - my permit is for the 19th/20th with stay at trail camp. My hiking partner just canceled. What time were you planning on leaving the portal on the 19th?

#105618 - 07/17/23 03:05 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: GreggS]
Bryan M Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Looking to hit up the East Sierra Visitor center right away in the morning of the 19th to pick up WagBags and anything else. So probably 9:30/10:00. Plan on taking my time to get to outpost. Stay overnight and then work up to Trail Camp the second day. Or depending how I feel the first day and with time, pushing on to Trail Camp the first day. Plan on going with the flow and listening to my body.

#105619 - 07/17/23 03:49 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Bryan M]
GreggS Offline

Ok - thanks. I plan on driving to parking lot at portal on Tuesday evening, sleeping at that altitude and beginning in the morning- probably around 8 am as I only have the one night permit for trail camp. I saw on some of the comments that it could take up to 8 or more hours to reach trailcamp and I want to be set up way before we start losing light. As for the next day and summit, hoping to bulk up with others in the early morning and tag along

#105620 - 07/17/23 06:15 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: GreggS]
Bryan M Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Very possible. I plan on starting to summit around 5:30am (whichever day it is) by the time I get some breakfast in, geared up, and marmot proof my stuff. It would be nice to hike with others.

#105621 - 07/17/23 07:18 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: GreggS]
AndyC Offline

Loc: Tehachapi, CA
An overnight Main Trail permit doesn't require you to complete the hike on the day following entry. If it takes 2-3 days that's fine. There used to be a 14 day window. All they really care about is the entry date.

#105627 - 07/18/23 12:41 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: AndyC]
GreggS Offline

That’s great to know - thank you

#105632 - 07/19/23 10:42 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: GreggS]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Just talked with a young couple that finished the JMT , SLUSH on the chute , back side no problem ,forrester short section of snow/ice on the south side at the top but good track so they felt OK ,bugs bad in some areas but didn't sound as bad as past years at Wallace drainage.

PCT hikers saying they meet more JMT hikers going south ,these folks didn't think they were the first to finish.

They mentioned stream crossing but were able to cross some how?

Rain / downpour at the portal the last two days short periods but helped cool the area down.

Chute is very soft during the day so early start may help , but also leads to not finding the trail or path when the trail is snow covered .
Have a plan and stay in your group you know the one that can 't keep up or wants to meet some where later may cause a long wait when the connection is missed .They may also not make it down at all ?

#105634 - 07/19/23 02:03 PM 18 Aug Day Hike, looking to join group [Re: Richard P.]
Steve H. Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
18 Aug day hike permit. I'm aiming for 15-16 hrs (I've done one other 14'er (Shasta), and the 17-mile out and back 12k mountain near me multiple times recently. I plan on starting at 1-2a. Never been to Whitney, not sure if the 2nd person in my party is going to make it, and I won't go if I have to hike alone. Any groups interested in another joining on the 18th? 50 yrs old, down to earth, and if I slow you down too much I'll just turn back, no problem. flash8016@yahoo.com if any takers...thanks!

#105641 - 07/20/23 08:08 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
JaackieZzz Offline

Loc: California
Hello Doug Sr. Could specify where to get that old trail route? Also which northly area you are referring to? If you have any photos to reference or on the map would be greatly appreciated!

#105642 - 07/21/23 08:49 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: JaackieZzz]
Doug Sr Online

Jaackie :The old trail out of the trail camp area stays in the draw where most of the tracks are coming up/down the chute , this trail was on the side of the rock area just to the right of the tracks . the new trail starts at the bottom of the slope at trail camp and works up the south'ly sloping area ( this is part of the melt out problem this slope is north facing and holds snow longer plus at the cable area it is very steep, a natural spring and a very sharp switchback at the end of the cable area that confuses people . At the end of the cable area it looks like the end of trail, a very steep step up to continue the trail.)
Now the north'ly area is right of the track from people going up the chute . You will see a rock band that starts just above the the bottom of the chute ,this band melts out since it is south facing and once the rock shows the sun works ,also this area is less steep than the south'ly area of the chute

Inyo County Sheriffs

try this link if it works expand the photo and you will see the tracks to the rock area and above. The rock will require some basic cross country skills . Scroll down to July 11 and see the slope

#105644 - 07/22/23 09:26 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Online

First bear report for the season ,bear and tent story ,no food in the tent ?
Make sure you clean you car out and place all attractants in the lockers,Do not leave your packs out or unattended ,like at the bathroom or next to your car as you get ready .
If we have one bear now he/she has cousins,aunts and uncles and distance friend they can invite for dinner and snacks!
And history says they will take your Stuff tear up your car and poop on the way to the next free lunch .
The bears can only stay where a food source is available,natural food supply very limited on the east side so people tend to be the supply chain that at the end of the cycle the bear is shot.

#105646 - 07/23/23 09:10 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
MAIN TRAIL CONDITIONS JULY 21-22:

Streams seem to be running a bit higher than when I was last here (July 9). Walking in water is essentially unavoidable in Bighorn Park.

Snow on the trail is no longer an issue until just above Mirror Lake. Snow bridge at the Mirror Lake outlet still there. But not many fresh footprints on it!

Consensus route is to still take the snow field exit off trail from ridge above Mirror Lake and follow it to Trail Crest. Many more rocks and exposed flowing water now seen on this snow route. Some areas seem to demand care on how weighted is distributed, if they are not avoided all together.

Lower switchbacks free of snow with water flowing from the spring at the 23rd switchback. Top of the Cables now finally exposed. No hiker seen on switchbacks.

Still no track established on massive Summit snow field covering trail after Keeler Needle.

Had nice chat with Ranger Chavez on patrol on Main Trail. Ranger Christine has had a lonely season at Crabtree so far, but there where finally four tents at Guitar Lake on July 21, an area completely blanketed by snow four weeks ago.

On the Summit met three hikers who just completed the Onion Valley to Mt Whitney hike. They said there were no obstacles hiking from Crabtree up to the junction with the Whitney Tail.

Both doors on Summit Shelter were open, so all three rooms can be checked out. The middle one contained a golf club! Any golf balls seen landing in the Portal Pond lately?

One of the outing highlights: Watching a small dog casually scurry across the (now 12) log crossing just before Lone Pine Lake. This spirited little fellow reminded me of the legendary dog Stickeen who accompanied John Muir in Alaska, an adventure Muir called "the most memorable of all my wild days."

Jim

#105647 - 07/24/23 10:53 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
SebyT Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Mountaineers Route full video (12 minutes) from trailhead to summit. June 2023

https://youtu.be/eHl-VW0DPgY

#105648 - 07/24/23 11:57 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Marmot John Offline

Loc: Earth
Here's a complete hike from Portal to Outpost as of 7/14/23 at 5x speed (normal speed at water crossing). Had a Crazy Jack sighting! (And a ranger checking permits too!)

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/ZsaMSJKgdn0[/video]

#105651 - 07/25/23 01:49 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Marmot John]
AFM Online

Loc: RIO VISTA, CA
Thanks. Great info. We are starting on Tuesday 8/1 and hope to summit on Thursday 8/3. Chances seem to be slim but it will be a great experience regardless.

#105652 - 07/25/23 06:25 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Richard P.]
DayHiker Offline

Loc: Burlingame, CA
I just canceled my day hike permit for August 9, 2023. It should appear on recreation.gov soon. (Sigh ...)

#105656 - 07/27/23 08:00 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: DayHiker]
Doug Sr Online

Road work on the Portal Rd A Detour is in place so follow the arrows , one or two tricks first avoid the Tuttle creek canyon and use Lubken this is a road 5 miles s/o Lone Pine ( saves about 12-15 miles) The turn is at the 2 R/V parks follow this to Horseshoe Meadow and turn right to Whitney Portal Road then left to the Portal.
If you are in town follow the badly marked detour signs up the Tuttle Creek road to Sunset then turn right on Sunset for 1 long block then right on Horseshoe Meadow road where the sign says Lower Whitney Portal road closed ( road is open to the Alabama Hills Movie road then closed going lower) .

Problem County is short of signs and number of closed roads

Watch for oncoming traffic on both of these routes very narrow and blind curves. HONK at the blind corners!!!!!

Edited by Doug Sr (07/27/23 08:22 AM)

#105659 - 07/28/23 07:42 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Jim F]
jeff_tahoe Offline

Loc: United States
Thank you @Jim F and everyone for your updates.
As it's really warm and the conditions tend to change very quickly when you start having exposed rocks and thin snow, I'm curious if there is a recent update on the conditions? We will be on the mountain this Sunday/Monday.

Have the switchbacks opened up?

Thank you all!

#105660 - 07/28/23 11:46 AM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: jeff_tahoe]
Doug Sr Online

Many years conditions are like we have now , spring conditions , some can do the switchbacks, some can and do climb the face routes and as always it is not the conditions it is the experience of the person doing the hike.
Long sections of the switchbacks are snow free, short sections are snow and ice covered plus adds several miles vs the chute. in the chute a rock band is melting out but this rock band requires cross country travel experience and a transition at the top and bottom onto snow

Now many are showing up with Mall wear soft clown type trail runners , experienced folks may risk using these and do OK but when we hear people putting crampons on these or spikes we tend to think this may not turn out well.

We may have warm days and nights above freezing but a breeze and cloud cover can turn the upper section of the chute to a hard surface , we also hear people talking sliding down getting into the existing butt tracks and can't stop before hitting the rocks at the bottom, again this area will be where we have the next few accidents and a fatal accident in this area can happen.

Jim writes great reports with detailed information on the areas of concern, he also hints at changing conditions (these are often between morning and night ) If you are not a seasoned winter hiker , Whitney will be a challange, many will make the summit with the current conditions , using little gear and doing about everything a seasoned climber would not do. That's (The Whitney Experience! ) year after year.

#105661 - 07/28/23 12:51 PM Re: Whitney - 2023 [Re: Doug Sr]
AFM Online

Loc: RIO VISTA, CA
Thanks Doug SR.

We are driving down Sunday and will be at the Portal on Monday to check out the Old Trailhead route (to avoid fording Lone Pine Creek)
and do a day hike to Lone Pine Lake. Our permit is for entry Tuesday 8/1. We hope to make it to the Trail Camp area that day. Wednesday is an acclimitization day going down to Consultation Lake and possibly checking out the lower of the 99 switchbacks. Then attempt the summit on Thursday 8/3. But if it looks too difficult or dangerous we would turn around and come back next year. We have microspikes and ice axes but no direct experience with either.

Hopefully we will be able to talk directly with you and others.at your Portal store on Monday for some up to date advice.

Thanks,

Marcia and Al

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’