Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105599 - 07/10/23 08:45 AM Trail conditions/snow questions
reganf Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hi there! I have a permit to hike Mt. Whitny in mid-September. I'm aware that this year is insane in terms of snowpack, and that there's still snow covering much of the trail. I have mountaineering experience but am not interested in putting it to use on Whitney; I want to safely be able to hike the regular hiker's route. I'm starting to wonder if there might still be snow on the trail in September, or if there might be trail damage or stream crossings that make the trek more dangerous than usual. Does anyone have any insight into what to expect in September, in terms of when snow will be gone? For example, how far behind are the trail conditions right now (when does the trail usually become free of snow in a typical year)? Would appreciate any insight you're willing to share; thanks!

#105600 - 07/10/23 09:07 AM Re: Trail conditions/snow questions [Re: reganf]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Most years we have our first snow the third week of August, very little stays on the ground but this starts our 7-10 day cycle of systems that can bring snow to the upper elevation again most often not a problem but by early Sept. freezing temps at the upper elevation and ice at the cable section . The Whitney trail isn't risk free any time of the year. I don't see this year any different than others , experience is the major factor.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine