Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105583 - 07/05/23 08:52 PM Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Left the trailhead with the intention of heading up Trail Pass...

But, there is no way across the stream without getting wet...

Traversed over to the Cottonwood Pass Trail...

At the stream crossing up here, I headed a few hundred feet upstream for a really easy crossing...

Amazed at the amount of snow melted out of the forest in the past week to 10 days...Not a lot of snow to deal with until up near the pass...(photo below)

I'd say about a 50/50 mix of snow and dirt on the PCT to Trail Pass...

Very little snow on the Trail Pass Trail, but a bunch of run-off streams to deal with...

Didn't like the meadow stream crossing, so I hoofed it up meadow until I found a way to get across to the Cottonwood Pass Trail...

Here are a few photos:

Cottonwood Pass.

PCT Northbound.

Trail Pass.

#105586 - 07/06/23 10:15 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
Marmot John Offline

Loc: Earth
That's refreshing to see how much it has changed in a few weeks. We came down from Trail Pass on June 12 and there were hardly any dry patches to walk on, it was a miserable slip & slide the entire way down. Where was the trail pass sign and possibly the same meadow you have pictured.

#105589 - 07/06/23 05:09 PM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: Marmot John]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Richard...thanks. I am heading up tomorrow.

Can you answer a few questions?

The stream crossings on the trail to Cottonwood Pass, where did you cross? Or should I just take my running shoes and wade through the water. I know that there are two crossings in short order.
As for taking the PCT south from Cottonwood Pass, 50/50? So no problem?

Thanks

Paul

#105590 - 07/07/23 02:48 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

On the Cottonwood Pass Trail, the stream crossing was pretty wide and fast running, so I headed upstream a few hundred feet to find an easy crossing. If you stay uphill of the stream, you'll avoid the marsh down close to the stream. After the crossing, if you head out perpendicular to the stream, you'll hit the trail in less than a minute of walking.

I wouldn't classify the PCT South "no problem." My pace dropped from 20+ minutes miles to 30+ minutes miles dealing with the mixed terrain (with an only 10+/- pounds daypack). It is a lot of extra up and down walking over the hard packed snow (definitely didn't encounter any postholing, but there are sections that are sun-cupped). With my worn out boots, micros probably would have helped...

In the original post, the sign is the Trail Pass marker...
The meadow phots are from near the stream crossing looking up to Trail Pass in one photo and Cottonwood Pass in the other...

#105593 - 07/07/23 11:45 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Thanks for the update.

I always do the loop trip (probably close to 50 times over the years), but since I am 74 and on a blood thinner, I tend to go a lot slower.

So, my take from you is that the PCT from Cottonwood Pass to Trail pass is about 50% covered with snow, and the trail section below Trail peak (North facing and, in the trees,) is probably the worst section. Correct?

Your advice? I don't mind going slow or cautiously.

I'll probably do the Cottonwood Lakes trail to long lake. Also may give Kearsarge Pass a go.

paul

#105594 - 07/07/23 12:06 PM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Originally Posted By paul
Thanks for the update.

So, my take from you is that the PCT from Cottonwood Pass to Trail pass is about 50% covered with snow, and the trail section below Trail peak (North facing and, in the trees,) is probably the worst section. Correct?

Your advice? I don't mind going slow or cautiously.

paul

Good guess...there is the option to drop down to the meadow at the saddle, which is snow free, but looked to be really soggy...to avoid the snow on the traverse under Trail Peak...another option would be do just drop down in the trees until it's snow free and zig-zag your way towards the Trail Pass Trail...problem with this is it could turn into a bushwhacking nightmare...(this is what I would have done if I didn't say I'd look at the Trail Pass conditions...and I'd probably have cut back to the Cottonwood Pass Trail to avoid getting wet...)

It was interesting...about a mile-and-a-half from Trail Pass, the snow got really, really, dirty...I'm thinking a lot of people started towards Cottonwood Pass and bailed...since the snow was "cleaner" farther north...

#105630 - 07/19/23 06:10 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
ChuckLe Offline

Loc: El Cajon CA
So I have a permit to do the Cottonwood Pass to New Army Pass Loop
the 1st week of August. Exiting at Cottonwood Lakes trail
Haven't seen or heard of the status of New Army Pass. Is it clear enough for the average hiker. The Ranger Station at Lone Pine says crampons and ice axe are needed. Can it be done with microspikes and hiking poles? Any intel that anyone has would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

#105631 - 07/19/23 10:27 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: ChuckLe]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
You use the term “average hiker”, so I assume you are not a mountaineer, you don’t have mountaineering skills, and you probably don’t have the safety gear that the rangers say that you need. I suspect you’re hoping that someone will respond and say, “Sure! Go for it! The rangers don’t know what they are talking about. MICROspikes and trail runners will be fine!”

MICROspikes are meant for low-angle slopes and icy parking lots. They aren’t meant for steeper snow slopes like New Army Pass. For climbing snow, the stiffer the boots the better. MICROspikes may help a little. Crampons will help a lot.

I pulled up a satellite image from 7-15-23. It shows a lot of snow on the trail below New Army Pass. If you fell, you might slide 500’, worst case. There appears to be a snow-free way up, about a quarter mile to the WSW, but that cross-country route probably entails some class 3 rock scrambling. There will be less snow the first week of August, but I wouldn’t count on a dry trail.

Unless you get confirmation that the snow has melted, you simply can’t know the snow conditions descending from the pass. It could be soft enough for an experienced mountaineer to waltz down in trail runners. It could be icy enough to require stiff boots, crampons, and an axe. As the saying goes, it’s better to bring what you didn’t need than to need what you didn’t bring.

#105633 - 07/19/23 11:37 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: bobpickering]
Richard P. Offline

Echoing Bob's advice on being cautious...
I started climbing in the early '70's...
I qualify as an old man now and that has contributed to more caution on my part...
When you see that I don't go beyond Lake Four (when I still had more than 5 hours of light...), I'd say it means "Don't Go" unless you are skilled...and are willing to carry the extra gear...

My suggestion would be to plan a trip with Cottonwood Pass as entry and exit...unless someone comes along and states the trail is nearly dry...

BTW: my JMT trip ain't going to happen this year...partly due to chores at home that need constant attention (at the moment), but also due to not wanting to deal with the "crap" in the backcountry this year...(high streams...late mosquitoes..etc...)

#105636 - 07/19/23 10:21 PM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: bobpickering]
ChuckLe Offline

Wow, That's a lot assuming and suspecting for a simple question.
Thanks for the reply

#105637 - 07/19/23 10:23 PM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
ChuckLe Offline

Thank You Richard for your thoughtful reply and suggestions

#105638 - 07/20/23 03:25 AM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: ChuckLe]
MtnMike Offline

Loc: Tennessee
If you're coming down NAP with only microspikes and trekking poles, your chances of having an accident are highly increased. As you know, this was a huge snow year. Last year (very low snow year), I went up Langley from NAP in May (2022) and there was a large cornice blocking the last few switchbacks to the top of the pass. I used both crampons and Ice axe.

A hiker tried OldAP with microspikes and poles last year and fell to his death. I was there on OAP the day after SAR recovered the body. You need crampons and ice axe and must know how to use them properly.

I will be up surveying both NAP and OldAP the first week of August. I will have full trip reports by August 5th. The trip report (video documentation) will include conditions from Langley to Whitney.

I have 40 years of mountaineering/climbing and hiking experience in the high Sierra and Rockies. Started climbing when I was 6 years old. I would never use microspikes on any slope covered in consolidated snow/ice. Listen to Bob and Richard. They are exactly correct!

First time I've posted on this thread. I'm usually on the other Whitney page. I think I like this forum better!

#105645 - 07/22/23 02:24 PM Re: Cottonwood / Trail Passes - 07.05.2023 [Re: MtnMike]
ChuckLe Offline

Thank You Mike

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’