Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105575 - 07/04/23 03:38 AM Altitude Acclimation
TK421 Offline

Loc: TX
Hello,

I’m a first timer with a pass for July 26. I received an email saying the Whitney Portal campground is closed for that time this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative sites where I can spend a couple days at altitude before attempting my summit?

Much appreciated!

#105576 - 07/04/23 09:55 AM Re: Altitude Acclimation [Re: TK421]
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Did your email say "Whitney Portal" or “Lone Pine” campground?

Lone Pine campground is closed due to flooding from Spring runoff. Rec.Gov is indicating that the Lone Pine Campground will open August 1. However, this doesn't help you.

Your alternative is to camp at the Portal (a much better solution since it will be a lot cooler, and you are at elevation).

I suggest the "Ravine Campground." It's located off the overflow parking lot, near the Trailhead. There is no water or bathroom facilities at the Ravine site, however, you would get your water from next to the bathroom at the overflow lot, a slight walk from the campsite.

Yes, it is slightly inconvenient, but a great site, in the trees. Each site is developed, table, firepit and graded for a tent.

It is first come, however there are 9 or more sites to choose from....I stayed the June 26th.

Checkout the site: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=20704

Paul

#105577 - 07/04/23 05:24 PM Re: Altitude Acclimation [Re: paul]
TK421 Offline

Loc: TX
Thanks for the reply!

The email says the Whitney Portal campground is closed June 29 to July 27th. They cancelled our reservation because the date was in that timeframe.

Is it safe to assume the Ravine campground will be open…it looks like it is just around the corner from the Whitney portal Campground?

#105578 - 07/04/23 10:09 PM Re: Altitude Acclimation [Re: TK421]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
I think you booked the wrong campground. I see open days in July and August ,the campground is open,Lone pine campground is closed.The Ravine or trailhead campground open and often empty

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine