Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105508 - 06/20/23 09:18 AM Half Dome trail info
Halfdomer Homer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca
Just got off the phone with the Yosemite ranger and it turns out the John Muir Trail is closed between Clark Point and the Panorama Trail junction because the trail is unstable and “may fail”. I asked him to elaborate and he said the trail is ready to “shear right off the cliff”. This is the section as you approach Nevada Falls that is cut into the side of the granite creating a sort of ‘balcony’ with the best views of Nevada Falls and Liberty Cap. This trail was created decades ago and this winter apparently wrecked it! Not expected to open anytime in the near future (my permit is for July 30), this creates a problem for me because I was going to start around 1-2 AM and use JMT to avoid the record waterfall mist on the mist trail (that peaks at 3AM I was told). I now have to either get soaked at peak time on the mist trail in the middle of the night or hike the JMT up to Clark Point (5500’) and then down to Vernal Falls (5180) then back up to the junction above Nevada Falls (6000’) creating an extra 300+ feet of climb each way. Ugh. My plan is I will get soaked on the way down to avoid the extra 300+ feet in the way back when I’m dead tired. I can handle wet shoes for a mile or so. So just an FYI to any permit holders
Cheers!

#105531 - 06/26/23 04:50 AM Re: Half Dome trail info [Re: Halfdomer Homer]
FlaG8R Offline

Loc: Space Coast, Florida
Conditions will "Shirley" change by your July departure date... nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine