Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105503 - 06/19/23 11:49 AM Rim to Rim Grand Canyon vs day hike up Main Trail
grizz Offline

Loc: CA
I did successful summit, day hike, of Main Trail last August at age 68. It took me a solid 16 hours and I did the necessary training and acclimation. Hydration and eating was sound, too. I took it slow to deal with altitude. But I was tested mentally and physically. I am doing rim to rim hike mid October this year. I choose mid October to take the heat out of the equation as much as possible. Doing the South Kaibab to North Kaibab route as I want to end up at North Rim.

Can anyone give me any feedback as to the degree of difficulty between the two trips. Anything is possible with the weather, but the average temperature in the canyon mid October is a high in the low to mid 80's. so I don't believe that will be the deciding factor.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

#105505 - 06/19/23 05:47 PM Re: Rim to Rim Grand Canyon vs day hike up Main Trail [Re: grizz]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
grizz,

This subject has been discussed on the Message Board under the title "Rim to Rim or Rim to River to Rim." The initial post was on Oct 10, 2014 and the most recent post on June 4, 2021. To retrieve the discussion in its entirety (lengthy), go to the Search Function on the Message Board and enter "Rim to Rim." You must be logged in to find use the Search Function.

If you do the Rim to Rim this Fall, update us on your take on the comparison of the two day hikes.

Jim

#105506 - 06/20/23 08:02 AM Re: Rim to Rim Grand Canyon vs day hike up Main Trail [Re: Jim F]
grizz Offline

Loc: CA
Jim:

Thanks. I reviewed the reports. Your story with your daughters was special. When I climbed Whitney it was with my son. No better feeling. My hike is Oct 10. I will share my thoughts between the two day hikes. My primary prep for Whitey was cycling, about 3,500 miles in the 6 months leading up to the hike. That was not sufficient. I have found that nothing prepares you better than hiking itself. For rim to rim my training is more focused on hiking. I hope it pays off because Whitney day hike nearly broke me mentally and physically.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine