Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105418 - 06/02/23 11:30 AM PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Great videos posted by some PCT hikers. The videos give you an idea of the conditions they are encountering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-W1gguk8eQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-tyKKYLN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WE1Jt8lysY

Paul

#105423 - 06/02/23 02:04 PM Re: PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass [Re: paul]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Paul, thanks for posting these videos.

Looks like Dave Durham is now heading out to Onion Valley and Independence. If he then heads back in (as opposed to leapfrogging up north), it will be interesting to get his "boots on the ground" assessment/photos of some questionable bridges which are up the "trail."

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I looked for you at campsites 23,25, and 26, but could not find you.

Hope to see you on the Trail somewhere.

Jim

#105424 - 06/02/23 02:32 PM Re: PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass [Re: Jim F]
tif Offline

Loc: colton, ca
Onion Valley Road is still closed right about at Grays Meadow Campground (7.3 miles below Onion Valley Trailhead)... I wonder if that person is going to be hiking down the road to get into Independence??

#105425 - 06/02/23 02:45 PM Re: PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass [Re: tif]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
tif,

Indeed, he acknowledges he might have to walk the first 7 miles on the road. Remember, Dave and all the others in the video have a different mind set and live in another orbit that most of us. To them the added 7 miles represents the easy part of the day!

Maybe a Trail Angel can meet them at the Road Closure with a double cheeseburger/ a beer/ and a ride into town.

Jim

#105426 - 06/02/23 03:43 PM Re: PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass [Re: Jim F]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Last year I gave 4 PCT hikers a ride down to Independence May 6th.. then ended up giving them a ride to Bishop. I did this another time later. On June 12th I met a couple on Kearsarge Pass from Germany a ride to Independence and then to Lone Pine. As we were leaving the Pass, the German women pointed to a girl and said she is with us. The girl was from the Czech Republic with a nickname of "knockout." Cute as a button which the trail name she had. The Post Office was closed so I gave them a ride to Lone Pine and a stay at the Hostel. They took me out to breakfast the next morning and I drove them to the Post Office in Independence. When I left them off I noticed two PCT hikers needing a ride to Onion Valley which I gave them. Then, picked up 4 PCT hikers at Onion Valley down to Independence.

I drove the German couple and Czech girl back to Lone Pine. great day...wonderful and grateful hikers.

Every time either at Onion Valley or Horseshoe Meadows I gave rides to these hikers.

paul

#105481 - 06/15/23 05:02 AM Re: PCT Hikers Video... Forester Pass [Re: paul]
FlaG8R Offline

Loc: Space Coast, Florida
A few years back in mid-June, gave a lift from Independence to Onion Valley TH... Four PCT'rs (Rabbit, Rub-a-Dub, Yaba-Dabba-Do, Chicken Wings and their two Siberian Huskies) a great day!

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine