Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105410 - 05/31/23 05:29 PM Horseshoe Meadows Road - 05.31.2023
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Thanks Paul...

Road work was ongoing...pissed off the road crew even though I was being very careful to avoid interfering with their operations...wasn't about to go home without a hike this time...I wonder if they were $%#@!! at the PCT hikers heading down?

Landslide is clear...

Road is plowed to the upper gate...

Finally figured out the 1/2 to Established Campgrounds...the sign actually says 1 1/2 miles, but the paint in the "1" is gone/faded...

Here are some photos:

Heading down to the west...

The scene at the upper gate...

Trailheads intersection...

Cottonwood/Trail Passes Trailhead...

Trailhead Parking Lot...

Looking down from above the upper gate...

4 vehicles at the Little Cottonwood Creek Trail (old trail)... (I think they are with the camp.)

#105415 - 06/01/23 01:15 PM Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road - 05.31.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Richard, your job is almost over for the summer. Just another week and it looks like the road will be open. Then, it depends on the Forest Service and turning on the water.

Yeah, I was wondering how the road crew would deal with the PCT hikers coming out of Horseshoe Meadows.

The one restroom in your photos... was that the same one you sat on a couple weeks ago. I think at that time the snow depth was around 6 feet.

Are you still going to do the JMT? I post a follow-up on the bridge outage to include Woods Bridge. Apparently, the bridge is questionable.

paul

#105416 - 06/01/23 01:36 PM Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road - 05.31.2023 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

JMT, and BC hiking in general, may be put on hold this summer. The consensus seems to be that stream crossings are probably going to be tough deep into summer.

That is the same bathroom I was sitting on top of.

I asked the Equipment Operator who stopped me if he had an opinion as to when the road would be open..."June" If I wasn't being a scofflaw, I would have come back with some really sarcastic response to that one...

#105419 - 06/02/23 11:45 AM Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road - 05.31.2023 [Re: Richard P.]
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
My first permit is for the end of June over Kearsarge Pass. I will most likely cancel due to the amount of snow still on the trail. The reason is that I am 74 and on a blood thinner, falling is not an option.

What I might do, is, go over Trail Pass down to Mulkey, Tunnel and then Little Whitney Meadows. From there, head on over to Rocky Lakes Basin. However, that route still poses issues. Only minor stream crossings. I've made that trip or taken that route dozens of times. I wouldn't have to worry about major stream crossings.

Now, normally I head down to the Kern and then up To Wallace Creek and loop around. However, that would be a major issue for stream crossings which I've done a few years ago on the first of May. Very dangerous this year.

Anyway, I plan on staying high (could be a snow problem early in the year).

I have 5 wilderness permits so far. But it looks like late August, September will be probably the best time. Except for mosquitoes with all the water.

paul

#105421 - 06/02/23 01:25 PM Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road - 05.31.2023 [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

I haven't been keeping up with the closure, but I do want to try and ride up to Monache Meadows when Sherman Pass Rd opens...I want to see the Kern up there (as more than a trickle)...

I doubt a crossing to shortcut to Olancha Peak will be doable any time soon...

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine