Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105256 - 04/20/23 05:28 PM High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem
paul Online

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem for Pacific Crest Trail hikers....

The approximately 100-foot-long steel footbridge crosses the South Fork San Joaquin River in a remote alpine area of Kings Canyon National Park at about 8,500 feet in elevation that is currently bogged down in deep snow.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/outdoors/article/pacific-crest-trail-bridge-broken-17908819.php

paul

#105257 - 04/20/23 05:35 PM Re: High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem [Re: paul]
paul Online

#105259 - 04/21/23 03:55 AM Re: High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem [Re: paul]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
If this is the the suspension bridge I'm thinking about, JMT/PCT hikers are screwed until the repair happens?

Are there any alternatives for getting across the river? Trying to decide if I should just forget about the JMT for another year...

#105260 - 04/21/23 07:49 AM Re: High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Richard,

Many JMT, North Lake-South Lake Loop, and other hikers perhaps will need to cancel. But with your skill set and adventuresome spirit, a bypass I propose below might actually enhance your JMT experience.

Matters are even better for you, as you are northbound in late August and your pack will be light, provided you are planning to resupply at the Muir Trail Ranch.

Plan: Exactly one mile after you leave Evolution Lake, you will be back in the trees and will come upon a hairpin turn to the left in the trail. Stop at this turn and a use trail will be evident (often blocked by a small log). Take the use trail (always staying east of the creek) as you head north. The trail starts to fragment as you approach the start of the Evolution Traverse. Just keep going north through the Darwin Bench. From there, your immediate options are to get over the Glacier Divide by either the Key Hole or Alpine Col and then drop into the Humphreys Basin to join the Piute Pass Trail. Turn left and hike to rejoin the JMT.

A longer option is to ascend Darwin Canyon from the Darwin Bench and go over Lamarck Col. Then descend to the Piute Pass Trail Head.

We might not know what the bridge situation is for awhile, or possible local options to cross. But the above plan would really add adventure to the JMT experience. I might consider it, even if the bridge were not damaged! The terrain in this bypass is really sensational.

Jim

#105261 - 04/21/23 08:33 AM Re: High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Why am I not surprised that you've got the answer?
Thanks, Jim.
I'll have to spend some time with google earth to get a feel for the routes.

#105396 - 05/28/23 06:02 PM Re: High Sierra bridge failure could be huge problem [Re: Richard P.]
paul Online

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes