Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105311 - 05/07/23 03:41 PM Portal Store
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
So Doug, with the conditions on the road as posted in the Mt Baldy thread, when will the store open.

I'll be up ther Memorial Weekend.

Paul

#105312 - 05/07/23 08:37 PM Re: Portal Store [Re: paul]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
We go up on the 15 th if the road has the normal locks , work with the water operator to get the system opened, we will dig out any needed drains that may still be covered , I don't think we will find any covered but just in case we can do the labor part. The water operator will do what he needs to do and get the testing starting the 16 Th .

We will shovel the remaining snow that has come off the roof and start clearing the area around the store, like the old days we woukd still have some snow till late June .

Our main concern is when the upper elevation melt starts , so far we are not seeing much off the North Fork or the main Canyon if we do get a major melt over a fgew days the road near town could wash out, Recall we have 3 streams in the Portal area proper plus Maysan just below the campground and then Inyo Creek flowing into the Lone Pine Campground. Plus the burn area and the minor drainages from Lone Pine peak.

Snow /water reports indicate the southern sierra has a record amount of water that could come down , Like the summer storms the west side and Kern River drainage may take much of that water , not good for that area , they are concerned with flooding in SJ Valley
On the Owens Valley side DWP started working on flood control months ago , 395 could still have flooding.
I went in the store Thursday and no damage , so we do a opening cleaning and reload all the inventory we take out at the end of the season ,
The water test and approvals can take several weeks so we plan to open the week of the 22-26 if all goes well.

#105313 - 05/08/23 08:49 AM Re: Portal Store [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Originally Posted By Doug Sr
We will shovel the remaining snow that has come off the roof and start clearing the area around the store, like the old days we woukd still have some snow till late June .

Please let me know when...my compensation can be free burgers...

#105319 - 05/09/23 10:02 AM Re: Portal Store [Re: Doug Sr]
Strider Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
I could go for some of that as well. You could probably get a pretty good crew up there with burgers.

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine