Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#105054 - 12/16/22 01:16 PM 20 years old
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Well 20 years ago today we put the message board online , this was the next step after going from posts on 395.com, great outdoor recreation page and a hockey message board.
I still hold that the best part of the board is the posting of first time hikers experience hiking the mountain and how it went.

The social media sites have taken over the last few years and I notice a different approach , I have always felt that as a last resort I would answer questions but others on the board should provide a one on one reply, I call this the bloated ego admin approach on my part why should "I" be the source when we have hundreds if not thousands of board members with years of mountaineering experience answer these questions?

I want to thank all the long time supporters that keep this board going and all that search or post from time to time. We have a 20 year source of information , hundreds of thousand of photos and links to about any question of Mount Whitney AND That Baldy thing I recall one day seeing a post by Rick and Baldy conditions , Great! many people train on Baldy before a Whitney hike and over the years we have had several group hikes to Baldy plus the Heros event the last few years. The Baldy post by Rick now has over 6 million views, Shin with over 700 summits on Baldy will do trip reports on conditions and events.

Next the behind the board life line is Jeff M , Richard P and long time friend Jim F , and Paul W. A very special person on the board pasted away several years ago Bob R and many more from the China Lake S&R, Bob H ,Tom S have given updates. We also need to add the humor award to Tom D ! most often quipped in a quote from a long not read book reference , Jack and Betsy for many years of friendship and a few hikes and Betsy famous Oh Sh.. on the first trip up the mountaineers route, The list is long so I know all that post once or hundreds of times are the life line of the board Thank You

Ok so maybe the next 20 years I will learn how to post a picture or link to the site But hey Richard P started a photo link years ago

Have a great holiday season hope to see you on the mountain or on Baldy this winter!!!

#105055 - 12/16/22 06:32 PM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
I remember...

I was out of the country for a lot of 2002 and 2003, but was back in LA visiting my Mom for the holidays...

The prior version of the board had been offline for quite a while, (That would be an interesting story to hear Doug tell.) but I still checked on occasion to see if it had come back, and it did...

Thanks for keeping it going for all these years...

There are a LOT of friendships that have been started from interactions on this board...naming a few of mine: You, Bob and the rest of the CLMRG guys that I met thru him, Shin, that Sr Chief Petty Officer that I fought with on a regular basis (DUG and his son), Scully, Blooty, and a bunch more...Oh, don't forget Speedy (GigaMike) and the other speedy (Rick Kent)... Wayne and Mike Pyle...

#105056 - 12/16/22 08:47 PM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Doug, Doug, and Earlene,

Congratulations on 35 years on the Mountain and 20 years of the Whitney Portal Store Message Board!

On arising every morning, I check the Mountain on the WPSMB cam and am reassured that my great experiences and lasting friendships made on the Mountain have not been just a dream, but rather a wonderful reality.

Indeed, over 20 years, the WPSMB has become a massive repository of trip and condition reports, photos, and discussions relating to conditioning, equipment, safety, trip strategy, history,..

Since I am lucky to still be able to move, activities on the Mountain are starting to be formulated for 2023. Recently booked a few nights at the Portal Family Campground in May for acclimatization. In a week will pull first backcountry permit with a Mt Whitney exit. Hiking the Main Trail with both daughters in July..... Much to look forward to.

Doug, Doug, and Earline, you are very special people and my family and I look forward to seeing you next season.

Have a great Holiday Season.

Jim

#105059 - 12/20/22 03:44 PM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
Shin Offline
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
Hi Doug Sr., Earlene, Doug Jr., and Whitney portal crew,
Thank you for being a great host of Mt. Whitney and great peaks in Sierra and local LA mountains for many years. I met many nice people through WPSMB and learned from them and enjoyed my time on the mountains with them.
All the great encounter seems like watching a fast-moving cloud in the sky, but I remember all good times and some bad ones, too.
I started to hike local mountains after my wife's illness 19 years ago. Hiking offered me to reset myself from everyday life and gave me a fresh energy for nest day. You and your family were great part of my last 19 years. I am very grateful to you all.
I realize that I am getting old because I got grumpy lately even on the mountains. I want to say what I have in my mind now before I can't remember what I want to say. Aging maybe good for wine but may not for me.

Thank you again for your many years of love to our community.

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year!!

#105060 - 12/21/22 10:58 AM Re: 20 years old [Re: Shin]
rick Offline

Loc: Old Agoura, CA
Merry Christmas to The Portal Crew and Shin and others I've met on the mountains or on the message board. I posted a basic question about Baldy some years ago and as Doug mentioned its received millions of views. Who knew?? But thanks to the various responses this got me in to hiking and backpacking. The advise that its proffered on the Board is invaluable. Thanks Doug, for maintaining all these years.
Happy Hiking to all in the coming year. See you in the Sierras or on Baldy. Thanks also to Shin for his encouragement and support to all those who are lucky enough to encounter him in person. Best Regards, Rick

#105061 - 12/26/22 08:09 AM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
Hiiker Offline

Loc: SoCal
Thanks for keeping this board going for so long. I look forward to the next 20 years and hopefully beyond. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all.

#105068 - 12/30/22 04:00 PM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
Only 20 years?! Seems like at least 50!!!

Thank you, Doug, for being one of those people. You know, the kind that gets their kicks out of helping others, being available and supportive, can answer just about any question (ANY question, mountain stuff a mere fraction of your mental bandwidth), listens (like really listens), contributes to society at all levels, knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em, knows when to walk away, knows when to pun...

And behind every person like that, there's bound to be an equally top-notch family, so let's not forget those key elements that round out the whole equation: Earlene, Doug Jr, Becky, Caden, and Mya. They do more than most people know and contribute in ways that sometimes go unnoticed by most of the throngs.

Happy New Year, all. We hope to see everyone on the mountain sooner than later.

—Jeff M, Sher M, and Manny the Wonder Wolf M.

#105069 - 12/31/22 03:06 AM Re: 20 years old [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
What Jeff M. said, without the picture.

Where did you get those models, Jeff?

#105090 - 01/13/23 01:20 PM Re: 20 years old [Re: hightinerary]
Adrian Offline

Loc: Charlottesville,Va.
Speaking of old friends and former forumistas, among those missed are Bob Rockwell, aka "some guy" who was quite a presence. I recall his narrative about sunrise on Whitney Summit in the fifties and seeing the flash of a distant atomic test shortly before the sun rose.
But I do recall a woman named Laura, aka "moosetracks". who was very active with many interesting posts. And then she disappeared and I've wondered why. Does anyone care to weigh in on why her posting stopped so suddenly? As for me I have sort of aged out and haven't done any hikes/climbs for some years now. I'm just not very capable anymore at 76, which is a shame.

Adrian

#105091 - 01/14/23 10:47 AM Re: 20 years old [Re: Adrian]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Laura moved to Colorado.

#105119 - 02/09/23 06:56 AM Re: 20 years old [Re: Adrian]
FlaG8R Offline

Loc: Space Coast, Florida
I too miss MooseTracks lengthy, colorfully-worded posts...
I hear you, Adrian about getting older.. after 14 years of visiting Hwy 395, at 69, last year did my "Sierra Farewell Tour" re-visiting Whitney and ending with 3 nights on the Big Pines Lakes Trail - great way to end! Cheers!

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine