I see many are getting the emails from Rec.gov about the lottery results , first if you have a date ,that is the first step. Now read all the conditions you need to follow so you do not loose your permit.

If you did not get a date , several options so if the people above don't confirm those go back into the system and on May 1 you can lointo Rec.gov and see if you can get a permit day/overnight this way.

Next if you miss the May option during the permit season if permits are not secured by the permit holder they go back in the system .

The Walk in permits are you walk into your computer and log into Rec.gov

Critical steps are 7 days before your entery date you can log into Rec.gov confirm your group number and answer the questions and PRINT A PAPER PERMIT must be signed by the group leader.

Ok that is a rough outline so make sure you read the email from Rec.gov and understand the steps you must do before your entry date.
Last 2 years the Visitor Center/permit office in Lone Pine has had staff shortage and many days not open.

GO to Inyo NF web site and go to the Whitney permit details to confirm you understand the permit requirements, fire permit and National Park letter , bear cans and poop bag rules
Hey half the fun is getting to Whitney!!

If you decide to not do the hike or people leave the group make sure you turn thoses permits /numbers back into the system . This will allow others to get these permits. Thanks

Why this is here is all season long we have people come to the store 1. To pick up the permit 2. my permit started yesterday but I wanted to start today 3. I have the permit on the phone what do I need next, (many fail to read the first email from rec.gov they now have NO PERMIT) 4.The Visitor Center was closed (last night/yesterday) .5 Chuck has my permit did he leave it with you? 6 They said...

Thanks hope to see you this season The Portal Crew

Edited by Doug Sr (03/28/22 01:19 PM)
Edit Reason: change 14 days to 7 per Inyo site