Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104620 - 10/14/21 09:02 AM Whitney Trail Conditions
Arjun R Offline

Loc: CA
Hello everyone,

In 2019 we summited in the middle of October but back then the weather was very favorable and there was no ice except for a small stretch at the very top.

We have a day permit for Oct 30th, 2021. It appears the conditions are changing quite fast since Oct 10th, snow and cold. Current weather predictions call for snow on Oct 25th as well.

We are not experienced climbers so very likely we will turn back at some point. Any suggestions/options on how far we can expect to hike? Thanks

Best,
Arjun

#104621 - 10/14/21 11:36 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Not sure where you got the Oct 25 snow report,most often we are looking next day at best,now the snow we have and could get will add to the upper area say above Outpost Camp. Winter temps are here 32 again this AM at 8000 ft. The North Facing area of the trail will stay covered until next summer so if you recall from your last trip that area starts just short of Lone Pine Lake and onto trailcrest.
Summer hiking conditions are over ,plan on very cold night temps and ice at all water crossings. You will be hiking in the dark at the start and finish.
Late October isn't a time for gambling on weather being mild or dry conditions.
One may read reports of hikers summiting ,people summit ski and climb all year ,most often they are experienced mountaineers with the required gear and experience to safely travel during winter conditions.

#104622 - 10/14/21 12:26 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Arjun R Offline

Thanks Doug. I looked up the weather at this site: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418

Not sure how accurate since it no longer shows snow on Oct 25th. As you said, probably best to look at next day. Thanks again for the response

#104626 - 10/17/21 10:23 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
RN1 Offline

Here is my report from 10/14-10/16:

I went up from LA on Thursday, 10/14. I slept in the walk-in campground at the Portal. There is minimal snow on the ground here and there in the Portal, and the pond is frozen. There was one other hiker with me in the camping area. A few people in the overflow lot slept in their trucks/SUVs.

I was up at 3 am and on the trail shortly afterward. I hit Outpost around 6:30, dropped my big pack off, and continued with my day pack. Summitted and returned to Outpost in the dark. I headed out around 6 am on Saturday.

Thursday was cold. Friday it warmed up, and Saturday it seemed like it was getting warmer (although I was heading down).

There is snow and light ice here and there after 9k ft., but it is mostly avoidable until the switchbacks (mainly starting at #25 or so). On the switchbacks, I went without microspikes on the way up, but used them on the way down since I was moving at a faster pace. I saw some using them, and others not. I did not need them after the switchbacks. When I went up much of the snow wasn't icing up, but all the ingredients are there for ice soon. I did run into one person who slipped and hurt their knee.

The lake at trail camp is mostly frozen, but if you loop around to the point where it flows into Lone Pine creek there is thinner ice you can break. There's plenty of water at Outpost, although I did not see much that wasn't frozen by Trailside Meadow.

My sleeping gear included a 3 season ultralight tent, a microfiber synthetic 35-degree sleeping bag, and a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner. I also wore wool socks, Smartwool 150s on my legs and body, with a Patagonia sweater jacket, and a light puffer that I could take off and on as needed. I was cold, but I can be more sensitive to being cold and tend to have cold hands and feet, so take this for what it's worth.

This was my first time up. I made some mistakes but overall had a great time. Happy to respond to questions. I'll check-in for the next few hours.

#104627 - 10/17/21 10:57 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: RN1]
Doug Sr Offline

Hey great report you hit all the critical details, the reason snow /ice is holding on the upper switcback area they are north facing and in the shadow most of the day. Backside very seldom has snow until we get a major system with little wind most storms have high wind and blow the snow over the crest and will drift just above Outpostcamp and onto trailcrest . Thank you for the report.

#104628 - 10/17/21 11:55 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
RN1 Offline

Thanks Doug.

A few things I forgot:

I used an R2 foam pad and an R2.5 air pad on 10/14, and just the R2 foam pad on 10/15. I could feel that 10/15 wasn't as cold as 10/14, but I lost some of the heat I built up from the day and should have used both on 10/15.

I took crampons and an ax just beyond Trail Camp but stashed them there when I saw that I didn't need them and wanted to lighten the load up. I saw a few people do this.

#104630 - 10/17/21 03:03 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: RN1]
Arjun R Offline

Thanks for the detailed report. Looking forward to our hike on the 30th and keeping fingers crossed there is no major storms prior to 31st smile

#104631 - 10/18/21 11:18 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
brophy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Mountain-forecast is predicting ~75 inches of snow on Whitney on 24-25th. Is that normal?

#104633 - 10/18/21 01:28 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: brophy]
Arjun R Offline

As soon as I said I hope there is no major storm, mountain forecast comes up with a 75 inch prediction. Gulp.

#104635 - 10/18/21 02:21 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
brophy Offline

:D, ya jinxed yourself. There's going to be 60mph gusting winds, I'd poop my pants in those conditions. Hopefully the storm moves northwards. These long dated forecasts are hardly ever accurate, so there's still hope the forecast changes in the next week. Good luck on your travels sir.

#104637 - 10/18/21 06:22 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: brophy]
Doug Sr Offline

It could happen , but walk along the logic: 60 MPH wind the snow would end up some where in Kansas , next 75 inches not 71.38 most often we see weather reports in inches of moisture say 1 inch that would equeal 1 foot of snow. Next we get about 3-4 inches of rain a year and slightly more at the upper elevations . Recall we are listed as desert not rain forest .

The Sierra could get 15 feet , the Sierra range is about 450 miles ,so when we see reports of "The Sierra" it means very little until we draw down to the southern end of the Sierra and check the National Weather service forecast and then we have little faith in the moisture , wind /temps are close but moisture is a wild card.

Recall we are on the lee side of most winter systems so the west side will get much more moisture than our side.
You will see reports for the JMT/ PCT weather again these trails are on the west side of the range in our area.

We have entered into the winter cycle now cold nights with wind and water sources have frozen. Tents last night at trail camp blown apart , most just came down not going higher up.

Day hikers still starting between 1-2 AM, very cold and risk missing the trail during the dark and will travel slower looking for the trail above Outpost Camp.

Edited by Doug Sr (10/18/21 06:24 PM)

#104649 - 10/26/21 12:17 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
brophy Offline

Any condition updates after the storm?

#104650 - 10/26/21 12:41 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: brophy]
Arjun R Offline

Here is an update (copy/paste) from - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/mount-whitney-via-mount-whitney-trail

"My permit was for the 25th, but due to the snowstorm. I didnt go. I tried to go up today, the 26th, got up to lone pine lake to test it out, lone pine has about a foot of snow. Im not ready for that assuming the higher I go the worst it gets. I didnt bring my spikes. Had to remind myself that “the mountain will always be there” will come back next year."

#104651 - 10/26/21 03:36 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Doug Sr Offline

System moved out yesterday about 4 PM. 2 inches in the Portal after the shift from light rain to snow. A group of ladies went to,Lone Pine Lake yesterday to check out the trail and reported about a foot of snow at the Lake.

Wind on the ridge all day check the webcam in the morning and you should see the spin drift if you do the time lapse.
Hikers went to outpost today snow about

18-20 inches ,most often the drifts will start above mirror lake ,wind blown around trailcamp and west side but the main problem if not experienced with snow travel people tend to take regular steps and not rotate leads making trail .
The mountain conditions now are in the transition period not cold enough to melt/freeze ,crust up where you can stay on the surface and steep section still soft snow so crampons are not useful
A strong team can lay a track in , history shows many won't stay in the track. And added many can't follow the map since the trail could/will be covered.
Watch reports from hikers and check the State they are from. This gives a clue of winter experience and a comfront with snow travel.

#104661 - 11/14/21 08:46 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
brophy Offline

Outpost Camp --> Trail Camp:
- Occasional ice, 2-3 of consolidated snow
- Mirror Lake partially frozen, still possible to get water
Trail Camp --> Trail Crest:
- Rarely ice
- 1-2 feet of powder snow
- Trail has been established
- Specifically switchback #48 after the cables is extremely sketchy, there is a section where you must climb 10-20 feet vertically up the snow slope and it's very hard to get purchase with crampons or ice axe.
Trail Crest --> Summit:
- Varies between 1 foot of snow to just dirt
- A couple spots where you are relying on a single foothold, on top of powder mind you.
- Navigating and route finding near the needles is difficult and takes time, footsteps are not consistent and you will find yourself off trail occasionally, although fairly easily to reestablish
Top:
- 2 feet of snow
- Path only has 2-3 inches compacted
- No ice

#104667 - 11/25/21 08:54 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: brophy]
Doug Sr Offline

Went up to the Portal yesterday say 20 cars in the lots , No snow temp 40 Talked with people making it to the summit but these are experienced climbers not hikers so without winter skills could be a a great hike to trail camp.
Very dry fall , but we are getting the 7 foot of wind often , about a wreck a week on 395 around Olancha , yesterday 395 closed about 6 hours both directions.

Many tickets for speeding in towns this week also Speed limit Lone Pine 25 MPH, Indy 30 and Big Pine 35 and Bishop back to 25 MpH.

Until we get snow and it packs ice ax /crampons will not help much walking on rock trail for many miles , spikes on the flat section may work better , and leave on when you get out of the car you only need them just after you didn't put them on slip on black ice.

Have a great holiday stay safe where ever you travel!

#104669 - 12/14/21 04:34 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

Best update snow deep on the Portal Road County was up to close the upper gate so when they get to the gate and check no cars stranded in the upper area most likely the mid gate will be locked for the season . Caution deep snow starting about the lower gate .

With the amount at the lower elevation my thoughts are 3-4 feet and deeper drift at the higher elvation.

Jackets and snacks !

#104670 - 12/15/21 04:50 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
Enough snow to fill in the lower North Fork?

#104671 - 12/15/21 08:52 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

Not yet would be patchy and not enough to stay on top

#104672 - 12/17/21 08:50 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

The offical ROAD CLOSED SIGN was put up yesterday 16 Dec. The road was very icy and this will not clear this winter above the campground. This area is covered by the shadow from the ridge south and tree shadow . Once the sun hits the road area above the campground parts melt out but in the Portal proper many years not till mid May or later.

This last sysetem hit north hard but we had a touch ,made it down to just above Lone Pine Campground,system stalled yesterday about Big Pine but roads were a mess Chain control from Big Pine to Nevada State line.

Check the webcam and like I use for snow coverge the flat area center of photo is Thor 12,000' elevation , rocks are still showing today it needs to be deep white and set up before solid easy winter travel for experienced climbers.

#104674 - 12/21/21 10:55 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

Looks like we are in the old 7-10 day weather cycle another system to move in mid week and stay around a few days.
Each year we tend to see a few wanting to summit New Years Day , this year with the storms and limited time for the snow to firm up + snow over icy conditions from past storms , travel would be slow and risky.
I got a call monday night from a local asking about conditions and the chance of summiting before the last storm , I answered tell the person since systems are never the same but we know that the worst time to go is when a system is on the way and can dump feet at the upper elevation can make coming out very hard or not possible for days. This system moving in now will have the same advice.

#104675 - 01/01/22 03:31 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Mary Offline

Loc: WI
What’s the current coverage on the Portal Road to snowshoe to the Whitney TH?
Thanks!

#104676 - 01/01/22 08:23 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Mary]
Doug Sr Offline

Snow came down to the valley floor, road has snow at the lower gate where the road closed sign BUT sections will clear as the sun hits areas south facing . So about the middle of the first switchback you should have snow to the Trailhead .

Rocks and slides can come down and go across the road so as you go up walk on the far side of the road away from the road cut. Sun and wind will bring small rocks down often but one large one came down already.

#104723 - 04/08/22 03:38 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
cow Offline

Hoping to hike Whitney on the week of 4/18/22. Heard we had a bad snow pack this year so I'm looking to push my luck. Anyone know if I can summit safely without hitting any technical / icy sections on the main trail?

Thank you!

#104724 - 04/08/22 05:02 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: cow]
perky Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada
I have an overnight permit for May 17th. The snowpack this year is actually slightly lower than last years. The Sierra got off to a big start for the snow year the end of Dec., but it’s fizzled every since. There is a minor storm coming in on Monday, but it’s not a big snow maker.

#104725 - 04/09/22 01:16 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: cow]
Doug Sr Offline

You may have read the Sierra has a record low snow year, that is great from many points of view but the fact is we had snow and as always that snow stays on the upper elevation till mid June to late June.
Focus on where the snow/ice will hold : any where above 10,000' on north facing slopes add to this the day time highs and night time lows , example Monday night 0 degrees for the 12,000' elevation ' So we have melt during the day , freezing at night so stream crossings can be icy into the early mornings. Now mid day busting through the snow crust and chance of injury or falling into a stream (snow bridge).
Which route and how long do you plan to take? these answeres talk to very different plans.

Experience ? " I read many are doing the trails now" How many turned back and were they with a guide group or have many years of winter mountaineering experience ? Or were they just lucky ? Note we coin this time of the year and late season after the permit season the dying season historicaly accidents will happen during these periods . Slips and falls are very common .

Sections of the trail will be snow/ice covered and the trail may require leaving the trail in sections to find the trail above these sections.

The back side (west) should be clear with limited snow coverage but this has in the past been problematic for the down climb which can turn to ice in the afternoon/ evening.

I would focus on going to a level that is snow free and turn back which would be a great trip for this time of the year.

The road is still closed and most likely will not open for several weeks, The County road crew is active on the road clearing now , we will post when the road opens.

#104726 - 04/10/22 12:38 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
cow Offline

Thank you all for the fantastic info. I will reconsider since the road is closed. Completely forgot about that!

#104727 - 04/12/22 09:41 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
A good hike right now would be just to ramble up to Lone Pine Lake and back, harvesting all you can eat of the delectable miner's lettuce found in abundance between the Portal and there.

#104728 - 04/12/22 02:02 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: hightinerary]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
I've eschewed miner's lettuce in favor of henweighs, also in abundance...

#104783 - 05/19/22 09:07 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Hiked up the Main Trail two days ago (May 17). I joined many hikers taking the Switchbacks. Some hikers were still ascending the Chute. With the great weather, snow is melting fast. A week ago, apparently the Chute was the consensus route.

The only spots I used micro spikes were on the Cables and the end of the last long Switchback before Trail Crest. Hiking poles helped.

On the ascent in the dark just above Mirror Lake, the few remaining patches of snow demanded some focus to remain on the Trail. The low angle snow field that lingers below the Summit Plateau has an excellent boot track.

The creeks are running low and all crossings are easy.

The Spring at the 23rd Switchback is a trickle, but provided water on both ascent and descent.

Consultation Lake is frozen, but the good campsites on its shore are now dry.

Dozens of PCT hikers were encountered between Trail Crest and the Summit.

For those heading up the MR: Iceberg Lake is thawing and the Final 400 can be climbed while avoiding the snow that remains in the middle of the upper half.

The following morning, I enjoyed a hearty breakfast with Doug Sr at the Whitney Portal Store. It was nice to have a lengthy conversation with Doug and Doug after a challenging last two years. This season seems to be off to a good start. Hope it stays that way!

Jim

#104784 - 05/19/22 02:39 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Niall Offline

Loc: Australia
We are hiking up via Onion Valley starting 26 May (and I am coming from Australia). It looks like freeze thaw conditions and snow just over 11,000 feet (and freezing levels over 5000m). I have my La Sportiva boots and snap on crampons but it sounds like overkill (although warm and dry in slushy conditions) and I might get by with just my Scarpa hiking boots. I presume an ice axe is still a good idea? Grateful for any insights.

#104785 - 05/20/22 08:29 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Niall]
Jim F Offline

Niall,

Try to be in Independence the day before your hike. Talk to PCT hikers (off the Trail for a resupply) on the street and at motels about conditions they experienced between Mt Whitney and Onion Valley.

Then drive up to Onion Valley (giving PCT hikers a lift). At the Trail head, try to get more info from hikers coming off the Trail. Give them a ride back to town.

Based on the intel you gather, your skill set, and the weather forecast, make your gear selection and start your adventure the next day.

Jim

#104788 - 05/30/22 08:12 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Spent Saturday and Sunday night (5/28, 5/29) camping at the Whitney Portal Campground. Very windy. Hikers coming down the Main Trail reported seeing Flying Tents at Trail Camp.

Took a short hike Sunday morning from Horseshoe Meadow up to Trail Pass. Dry, windy. The tributary of Cottonwood Creek crossing the Meadow was running low already.

Today hiked in Tuolumne Meadows (on the way back home) and saw many PCT hikers already passing through. Apparently, the creek crossings on the JMT were a non issue (water typically running ankle deep). A few of the passes required some work to cross.

Jim

#104806 - 06/22/22 07:21 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Went up the Main Trail two days ago (Monday June 20). Weather much friendlier than over the weekend (cold and windy).

No snow encountered on the Trail.

Many campers at both Outpost Camp and Trail Camp.

In the early morning encountered ice on the trail from the Spring at the 23rd switchback. Collecting some water to drink there required work and patience. On return from Summit, ice gone, easy to collect Spring water.

At Summit, great views in all directions were enjoyed. The register had a recent resupply of paper, so likely the Crabtree Ranger has returned to duty for the Season.

Two groups of hikers completing the High Sierra Trail were encountered at the Summit. They reported excellent conditions for hiking on the HST: Snow no longer an issue at the Kaweah Gap. All creek crossings trivial.

Returning to Whitney Portal, many cars were tagged with warnings indicating violation of food storage rules.

Since my return home, new snow has been reported on Mt Whitney. The Mountain has an impressive collection of pitches, so one has to be prepared when stepping up at the plate.

With persistence, it seems the aspiring Mt Whitney hiker can usually secure a last minute reservation on rec.gov and then print the actual permit.

Jim

#104807 - 06/23/22 04:19 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Doug Sr Offline

Great report Jim Snow Tuesday night and into wed. about a foot on the summit and I got a picture of ther switchback area this AM snow down to about 12000'. System is moving in and out so not stable .

5 PM update from PCT hiker coming over from the backside snow slush slick and may turn to ice tonight

#104808 - 06/27/22 04:41 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
michael2488s Offline

Trip report (2022/06/23): Microspikes & hiking poles were necessary. Get a minimum of 2L of water at the lake right before the 97 switchbacks. It is pretty much the last water source before the summit. Get 3L if want to be more comfortable. It seemed it was snowing the day before most of the day. I started at 3:30 am and came down at 6:00 pm. It took me 14.5 hours with snow. We were lucky that we had great weather with little snow when we climbed. A pair of hiking poles are pretty much necessary. Make sure to get a burger at the store at the trailhead after you finish.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-...4-no?authuser=0[/img]

#104809 - 07/01/22 10:23 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
stx Offline

Loc: Cali
(Trip date 6/28-6/30) My buddies and I camped at consultation lake and summitted the next day (29th). Trail was dry the whole way with only a few snow patches left on the side of the trail. I had a wonderful time. There is some water about 1/2 mile up the switchbacks. It is running faster in some spots along the trail. That would be the last water to get after trail camp.

#104820 - 07/15/22 09:49 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: stx]
Doug Sr Offline

North Fork took the hit today Carillion also go water ,main trail had rain but not like the other two canyons .Took a quick trip up to the north fork crossing on the main trail and rocks steps were at least 3 inches out of the water,water was rushing but would be about 1 foot deep ,old trail in very bad shape,wash outs and loose rocks in the trail thread. No longer a short cut time wise and a great chance to turn an ankle or fall.
Weather most likely will be a wild card the next week.Today rain and hail around 4 PM and reports from JMT hikers they had rain yesterday at Crabtree area,we only had a few drops.
This system was cold low 50's in the Portal this evening.

Bear very active now in the Portal proper .The bear is getting food and packs every night.

#104899 - 08/22/22 05:25 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Scott W Offline

Loc: Texas
Hiked to Trail Camp on 8/17/22 and summited on 8/18/22. Trail is in great shape. Water was only moderately flowing from the spring above Trail Camp, so make sure you fill up at Trail Camp.

This is monsoon season so try to be off the mountain by noon to avoid being caught in an afternoon thunderstorm. It poured down late afternoon of the 17th at Trail Camp, and those we spoke to coming down from the summit earlier stated they experienced rain, hail, and snow at or near the summit.

We had no precipitation at the summit on the 18th. Nor did we have any the rest of the way down from Trail Camp.

#104915 - 09/02/22 07:49 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Scott W]
Richard P. Offline

There is no flow from the spring at SB22 anymore...
All was dry both on the way up (around 9:00am) and the way down (1:30pm?) on the 1st of September.

#104926 - 09/12/22 03:10 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Wanted to do a Harvest Moon hike of Whitney...

Weather no good on Friday/Saturday (lots of T-Storms on the radar)

Weather was supposed to be better Saturday/Sunday, but the radar was still showing lot so T-Storm activity on Saturday afternoon/evening.

Weather was good (other than icy - really. the pooling water on the summit blocks was icing up), with 10-15mph wind on the summit) Sunday/Monday.

Lots of water on the mountain...streams sounded louder...The Spring on the Switchbacks was flowing fast...The "Drip" at The Cables made me want an umbrella...hope the weather stays warm, or that section is going to get dangerous in a hurry...

#104940 - 09/16/22 04:20 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Did Cottonwood Pass to Whitney Portal over the past two days...
-Snow on the ground at the Trailhead...probably gone by now.
-It's not summer anymore...Crabtree Meadow was tolerable at night, but you'd be chilly with a summer bag...
-(Poor NPS Rangers...chasing a missing person who wasn't missing - ruined my visit - they were too busy with the SAR Mission.)
-Lots of ice on the ground above Guitar Lake...
-Holy ####. it was cold in the shade with the breeze...
-Ice was forming at The Cables...
-Swichback Spring was barely flowing.

On another note:
-Liking the new gear...
-15 miles IS my limit to stay comfortable...
(21+/17+ made enjoying the WPS Bacon Cheeseburger difficult.)
(That was 181x+.)
-All of this unsettled weather is making me reconsider a late-season JMT...

#104941 - 09/17/22 10:19 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
FishRunner40 Offline

Thanks for the overview - we are planning to do the same starting this Thursday (permits for Cottonwood Pass, exiting Whitney Portal). In our group of three, two of us did Whitney via the portal last year in July with no issues and we've both been in the Eastern Sierras at 12k+ a number of times, the third member of our party also has good experience backpacking; however, none of us have done late season trips. We can handle the cold and have the right gear to deal with temps in the 20s, but I'm not comfortable doing anything involving ice beyond what basic boots/trail shoes and micro spikes can handle. Based on what you saw these past two days, will that be an issue?

#104942 - 09/17/22 10:36 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: FishRunner40]
Richard P. Offline

The ice on the trail that I encountered would not be dangerous...it just added the requirement to pay attention to foot placement...it also would probably melt off during a warm day.

(I was hiking up the east side of Whitney in morning shade.)

There is potential for snow in the forecast that I've been watching regarding my Happy Isle start on the 21st...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph...54#.YyX8MHaZNGP

https://yosemiteforecast.com/roads/tioga-pass

The ice forming at The Cables was still "up" from the trail (on the wall).

Go ahead and ask any other questions you may have...BTW, there is a link to the Crabtree Meadow Weather Station on this website... I looked at it before I started and it showed mid-thirties for lows and I would say this was accurate for the night I spent there.

#104943 - 09/17/22 10:46 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Another BTW: there was NO water until Rock Creek...a heck of a long way along the PCT from Chicken Spring Lake. (Unless I was sleep-walking past an earlier source...)

#104944 - 09/17/22 07:19 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
FishRunner40 Offline

That's excellent info - thank you! We'll make sure to fill up there.

#104946 - 09/18/22 04:32 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: FishRunner40]
Doug Sr Offline

You know the weather words snowing , raining, hailing not here today but winding very winding and cold and some folks coming off the JMT saying bypassed the main event the summit since it was very cold and they had... just had enough .

108 closed a few minutes ago snow and ice , clouds here but blowing hard across the ridge , snow would end up about mirror lake if we get any ,
Wind in the Portal about 50 degrees 5:30 PM

This system should stay around a few days so watch the webcam for clouds/snow.

#104949 - 09/19/22 04:42 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
FishRunner40 Offline

Thank you! We are watching the forecast as well and will check the webcam.

#104950 - 09/19/22 07:29 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Based on what I'm seeing...
(The "bad" weather seems to be mainly north...)

I'm changing direction, with a bail-out (possible) at Onion Valley...

Gets the real high-elevation out of the way early...

Won't have to worry about what The Switchbacks and Cables will be like in 2 weeks...

I'm only seeing 1 1/2" of snow (at most) on the ground (via station reports) and that would melt away with a day of sunshine...
(Hopefully a %$!&-load more snow won't fall in the next couple of days...)

Get that done in 3 days...
Waste a day re-arranging transportation from Yosemite...
Head back in if weather finally stabilizes into a mild Fall...
Still gives me nearly a week to get my resupply at MTR...

Any comments?

#104955 - 09/22/22 04:16 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Bailed on the late-season JMT hike, but did do another hike up Whitney yesterday (09.21.22)...

Definitely need "winter" clothing on the mountain now...
(Guessing 25mph wind...bitter cold.)

The ice at The Cables is creeping down onto the "steps," but you can stay on dry ground by doing a little zig-zagging.

No water at the Switchback Spring.

Ran into a Russian, who's now a green card holder, who lives on Maui...while I was heading down the slab shortcut to Lone Pine Lake Junction...too much fun talking Hawaii and climbing...would have been interesting to hear his take on Russia Today...his family spent time in Israel...really interesting.

#104958 - 09/27/22 09:10 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Jim F Offline

Day hiked the Main Trail yesterday (September 26). Some clouds were around the entire day, but the weather was pleasant. There was a drizzle at the Portal for an hour after the hike.

Still many hikers are completing the HST and JMT. These hikers reported no issues coming up the backside from Guitar Lake. They noted that staffing at the Crabtree Ranger Station has been extended an additional two weeks (now by Ranger Rob) due to the significant number of hikers currently in the backcountry.

As Richard P observed on his September 21 day hike, the Spring at SB 22 appears done for the season. But plenty of water is still flowing through Trailside Meadow.

Ice continues to accumulate on the final third of the trail passing by the Cables. Currently, the ice is easily identified and avoided. However, once there is a dusting of snow, this ice will "disappear," requiring more attention during foot planting and loading.

Some Fall colors are starting to show at Trailside Meadow, around Mirror Lake, and at Bighorn Meadow.

After the hike, at the Whitney Portal Store "rehydration" was accompanied by a fine double cheeseburger. Sorry to learn I missed Doug Sr and Shin by a day. But, enjoyed a lengthy "Round Table" meeting with Becky, Doug, Jack, Kurt W, and my friend Peter. It was fascinating to hear of Jack and Betsy's discovery of Orland Bartholomew's cache placed nearly a hundred years ago at Rock Creek.

Jack and Peter both went up the Mountain today, as the weather remains favorable.

Looking forward to a fine Fall Season.

Jim

#104959 - 09/28/22 10:32 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Richard Offline

Originally Posted By Jim F
It was fascinating to hear of Jack and Betsy's discovery of Orland Bartholomew's cache placed nearly a hundred years ago at Rock Creek.

That is amazing! Any idea what will be done with the cache? Maybe the Eastern California Museum in Independence.

#104960 - 09/28/22 07:13 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard]
Jim F Offline

Richard,

Of course, it would would be best if Jack responds to your question. But I know Jack is currently quite busy, so I will take the liberty to try to recall what he said two days ago. I have a copy and have read High Odyssey (published in 1974) by Gene Rose and also know about the discovery of the second most southern cache (in Crabtree Meadow) of the 11 caches. Here is my understanding:

Some years ago Betsy and Jack went in over Cottonwood Pass on a backpacking trip. While wandering near their camp close to Soldier Lake, Jack discovered an old galvanized 30 gallon garbage can at the base of a tree. It contained some food. Ranger Dario Malengo was notified. Dario instantly knew it was Bart's (Orland Bartholomew) southernmost cache (the Langley cache) placed in 1928. Dario told Jack and Betsy to take whatever they wanted. Dario would deal with the rest. I do not think Jack and Betsy took anything. Now Jack regrets he did not take the can of Wesson butter (for a historical reason). It is unknown what Dario did with this treasure.

Since this message board is Whitney centric, let's go north to the next cache. The discovery of the Whitney cache in Crabtree Meadow was made by Ranger George Durkee in the 1990's. One day George looked up and unexpectedly saw a 30 gallon garbage can secured in a tree in Crabtree Meadow. He turned it over to the NPS and it has not been seen since.

Pages 62-63 of High Odyssey show a photo with the caption, "This pine-bough wickiup protected the lone mountaineer from storms he encountered along Rock Creek in the first week of 1929. Through the entrance, reflected light shines on tin cans from the Langley cache."

Jim

#104961 - 09/29/22 07:03 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Heading over Tioga Pass yesterday, I noticed that the Aspens at 9k are starting to turn...I guess it really is Autumn...

#104964 - 10/04/22 06:34 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
FishRunner40 Offline

Thanks for the info ahead of our hike! We did the Cottonwood Pass to Whitney and then exited down the Portal, 9/22 - 9/24. The weather was near perfect and we were able to fish at several spots along the way. There weren't many out on the trail - we saw two campers at Rock Creek, two more at Crabtree and two at Guitar Lake. Even coming down Whitney Portal we were surprised at how sparse it was (guessing the weekday start combined with below freezing temps at night might have had something to do with that). I highly recommend the route and I hope to do it again!

#104965 - 10/04/22 06:36 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: FishRunner40]
FishRunner40 Offline

The only ice we found on our 9/22-9/24 trip was at a few spots on the trail coming up from Guitar Lake where a spring flows down the path and again on the wall next to the cables coming down from Whitney to the Portal.

#104966 - 10/04/22 06:39 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: FishRunner40]
Richard P. Offline

Look up the route thru the Miter Basin (Sky Blue Lake)... for an add-on to your next trip.

Glad it was a successful trip... I'm supposed to be on my way to Onion Valley for another trip to Whitney, but...

#104967 - 10/04/22 07:27 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
FishRunner40 Offline

Added to the list! That looks beautiful. Sorry your current trip isn't working out - fire in the area?

#104968 - 10/04/22 12:45 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: FishRunner40]
Jim F Offline

FishRunner40,

The Miter Basin is expansive and awesome terrain with a remote feeling, yet only a few miles from Mt Whitney. It can be approached in various ways, many of which are not found in the mainstream literature. As examples, short descriptions of my last two visits are in the these two Trips Reports posted on this Message Board.

Miter Basin/Mt Whitney July 15/16 (2022) posted on July 18, 2022.

Thompson Route to Langley/Miter Basin to Whitney (July 7-9,2021) posted on July 11,2021.

Already starting to plan a 2023 visit to this area, as the permit window will open in just a few months.

Jim

#104973 - 10/10/22 04:31 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Richard P. Offline

Went up the NF, over Whitney/Russell, down the Arctic Lake drainage to the JMT, up to Whitney and down the Main Trail yesterday...

No ice encountered anywhere on the route. No issues at The Cables.
(Noon at the West Side...not a single person seen...only a Coyote at Guitar Lake...lot of still fat marmots to chase...interesting that I heard way more whistling than normal and then saw the coyote.)

Most of the wet trail from a few weeks ago has dried out.

I'd say very few people out on a weekend hike...

#104974 - 10/10/22 07:38 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
rick Offline

Loc: Old Agoura, CA
Hi Richard,
quite a day hike.. congrats. Question... do you ascend on the iceberg lake side or on the UBL side to get to whitney/russel pass. Not been up there before. How does it compare to Thompson's pass on Langley?
Thanks for your input. Keep up your inspiring hiking for us older guys. Be Safe, Rick

#104975 - 10/10/22 07:43 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: rick]
Richard P. Offline

You can get over Whitney/Russell from either lake.
The terrain is a bit more difficult (my opinion) above UBSL, so I prefer the Iceberg Lake crossing.

#104977 - 10/11/22 05:43 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
rick Offline

Loc: Old Agoura, CA
Thanks Richard.... Hike Strong

#104978 - 10/11/22 06:19 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: rick]
Richard P. Offline

Light dusting of snow across the Southern High Sierra …
I’ll let you know later today if it turns me around.

BTW. I’m pushing to 200. Want to get it done in my 50th year celebration year…
And 10 years after my disaster heading for 52…

#104979 - 10/11/22 09:03 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Doug Sr Offline

First sticking snow last night , switchbacks got coverage and the chute on the north fork.

Quite a few people heading up this early AM so we might have some rescues this afternoon . 46 degrees in the portal so theupper elevation would be in the 30's the system started with light rain so expect a thin layer of ice under the light snow.

#104980 - 10/11/22 06:35 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

More people than I expected up on the mountain today...

Good conversation with some REI Guides who were on an end of season excursion (sans clients) from OV to Whitney.

I won't be going up without micro-spikes from here on out...

Here are a few photos:

Snow was good today, but my bet is icy tomorrow...

#104986 - 10/19/22 05:04 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Was up on Sunday...
I used spikes, but many, many didn't...

Was up yesterday...
It's been fairly warm up on the mountain...
The best I'd describe it...the snow has been consolidated/melted to the point where there's plenty of rock exposed again and I didn't feel the need to break out the spikes.

Enjoyed plenty of interesting conversation up on the mountain and at the WPS...

DON'T CANCEL YOU TRIPS... (unless we get another storm...)

#105009 - 10/25/22 10:09 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

Ditto...
Conditions were nearly identical, even after this most recent storm...
There was evidence of new snow, but not even worth thinking about...
Although it was a beautiful summit day (10/24/22), it's obvious that temps are dropping...

Ran into RG at Trail Crest (I would have walked right past if he hadn't called out my name)...spent a bunch of time on the summit and then walked down (mostly together...he is still much faster than me on downhills...)

#105012 - 10/27/22 05:52 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Richard P. Offline

There aren't that many people on the mountain...
SO HOW COULD THERE BE 10 $%^&*() WAG BAGS LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

My back hurts this morning...

#105013 - 10/28/22 09:32 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
tomkonwinski Offline

Loc: folsom, ca
I'm looking to be on the mountaineering trail Tuesday, 11/1. Anyone who's been up recently know are the current trail conditions still favorable? I'm an experienced hiker/climber but have not done Whitney. And the things I've read vary widely what the difficulty/conditions are.

Thanks,

#105014 - 10/30/22 05:35 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: tomkonwinski]
Richard P. Offline

In reply to the above post...look at the MR Conditions thread...Kurt Wedberg posted some great photos.

hallelujah!

I was not is such a $%#@!! mood yesterday...not a single abandoned WAG Bag was seen...I finally broke 5 hours as a Senior...I got one last Bacon Cheeseburger at the WPS (closing today).

As far as conditions:
-Another cool, but Fantastic day on the summit.
-Ice on the trail is not an issue if you keep your eyes open.
-Think about water low on the mountain...Mirror Lake outlet was the last running water I saw.

#105034 - 11/14/22 09:02 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
Socks N Crocs Offline

Loc: Southern California
Main Trail Report (11/10-11)

Road: A bit of ice on the final switchback, parking lot covered with snow (up to ~8 inches). We helped tow a truck that got stuck.

Water: flowing at North Fork LPC, Bighorn Park, Mirror Lake outlet.

Trail: excellent booth path up to Outpost/Mirror. After that it gets deeper. Windswept snow has covered tracks for the most part. We got up to Trail camp (a couple of our group got up to 13.2 k). Snowshoes needed after Mirror Lake imo.

Beautiful out there!

#105035 - 11/14/22 10:18 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Socks N Crocs]
Doug Sr Offline

Hey Socks you got all the classic points for this time of the year . Don't park in the lower lots as getting out is steep and snow over ice. Park facing down the road so as you leave requires no turning around. Snow above Mirror lake is the normal area to drift and collect , since your crew layed a track if everyone follows that same track a winter trail is established , and micro's or crampons will work, saves the slow going with snowshoes. I've tried running shoes and standard shoes and shortboard type all work but all have weak points, So the single track helps the next hikers. The chute this time of the year might not be stiff enough to stay on the surface and post holeing makes it very tough . Thanks for the update.

#105036 - 11/14/22 07:45 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Richard P. Offline

Rode thru Death Valley with the intention of trying Telescope, but there was too much snow for the time of day my climb would have started...

So, I headed over to Lone Pine and up to the Portal for some exercise...

Doug, there were a couple of DWP guys (working Bishop) at the WPS looking for some burgers...I told them you closed at the end of October and mentioned that they ought to stop at the Hostel to see if you were there...when I mentioned you're a retired Surveyor, they said you would have been based out of their office (Temple?).

I made it up to Outpost Camp in a couple of hours and was pleasantly surprised at how good the track was. (4 spots off-route - probably less than 50 yards of extra walking...)

Met a couple of guys who made it to The Cables and they said they set the High Point for the post-storm season. I'm guessing the traverse after the cable ends would be scary, considering how much snow there is. Don't know that there's been enough to make a climb up the chute/bowl anything less than a back breaker...and maybe an ankle buster.

Parked at the entry to the Overflow Parking Lot. Rode down past the switchback with my feet on the ground (about the only ice worth worrying about... Inyo had to have plowed the road). There were vehicles up at the top...someone knocked over the No Parking/Loading Zone sign...

#105041 - 11/23/22 08:36 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
SCerny1 Offline

Hi Everyone, Any recent updates on trail conditions? This Thanksgiving weekend I was planning on hiking up to Mirror Lake and then climb the south face of Thor Peak. Any recent beta on snow conditions, water availability, etc...? Thanks.

#105042 - 11/23/22 08:46 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: SCerny1]
Richard P. Offline

There haven't been any additional snow since the last time I was up there, so...

Unless a bunch of Yahoos went up and trashed the beautiful track (by trying to shortcut it), it should still be "easy" travel up to at least Outpost.

Don't know what route you're talking about when you say South Face...
But, the south side (unless you're talking SE Couloir) gets plenty of sun...

#105043 - 11/23/22 04:11 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Richard P.]
SCerny1 Offline

Thanks. I'll let you know after our hike/climb. We're going to shoot for the Southwest Slope of Thor (what Secor calls it). I'm hoping for enough sun and melt for scree/rock scrambling. We'll have our equipt (ice axes, crampons, etc...) just in case.

#105045 - 11/29/22 08:18 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: SCerny1]
Doug Sr Offline

We went up to the Portal Saturday many cars in the lots and road is dry to the overflow lot . THIS could change with the storm moving in this week , very colds temps and calling for high wind and snow .

If you are planning a trip it is always best to wait until after a system moves in and out. Don't trust the reports of when , how cold and how much snow ,we have a strange weather area , storms may or may not hit our area , can be very little or feet when inches were forecast.

Add to the mix of unstable weather forecast is the zones one for the 4000-7500' then the mid range 8000-12000 and the 12000 to the summit , also the 13,500 west side of the ridge wind blown drifts and dry most often .

Next where we know the snow will drift and what the sun exposure will have on the snow plus the quality of the snow wet /dry and air temperature. Read a trip report from last week on the mountaineers route this details the chaning snow conditions ,above 12,500 knee to waist deep , then west side dry.

#105616 - 07/16/23 04:16 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Jeff81 Offline

Loc: SoCal
What are the chances that there would be too much snow to summit for a trip planned over Labor Day weekend? I have a trip planned with a friend right before he moved to Portugal with his family and his wife is trying to convince him to postpone the backpacking trip so they can head out early. He’s convinced to stay and do Whitney with me so long as snow won’t prevent us from summiting. To early to tell still? Is there ever been a big enough snow year that you couldn’t summit in early September?

#105626 - 07/18/23 06:42 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jeff81]
Strobe Offline

Loc: Ohio
2023 is a strange year. Snow is melting quickly due to the heat wave in part of CA. I would guess mid/late August to be the best time for a clear dry hike.(Usually it is clear by now but no luck ) If heat continues then early September should be ideal this year but I would look up the historical snowfall and make a call. Of course as normal daily weather could cause you to cancel. People go up most of the year so just decide your comfort level using proper equipment if conditions change. Good luck.

#105770 - 09/25/23 03:49 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Strider Offline

Just looked at the Mt. Whitney web cam at 16:45 today - is that smoke obscuring the view of Whitney from Lone Pine? My 72 old lungs would not like breathing that in while going up the Whitney trail. Pretty clear further south in Ridgecrest.

#105771 - 09/26/23 10:02 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Strider]
Doug Sr Offline

Strange smoke/ dust/or whatever some mornings and evenings , nothing up here in the Portal.
Update on the mountaineers route last 400 very icy , some going down the main trail to avoid the ice, easy walkoff would be a death wish!!!!! Blue ice and light dg covering the ice.

#105772 - 09/27/23 07:34 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Steele85 Offline

Loc: Ca
Our group has a day pass for this coming Saturday 9/30/23. We are concerned by the weather forecast and are not sure if we should even travel and give it a go. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#105774 - 09/27/23 10:10 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Steele85]
Doug Sr Offline

We should be in the que for a system ,that said we know from all the years forecast are very seldom correct for snow, wind and temps are close but we sit in a void for radar coverage so moisture is from models and are good for a few days out at most.
We watch the sky and always a wind event will bring the new system in , today is dead calm and warming trend Thursday/Friday will give us some hint if the systemmis moving in also I watch the sun/moon for a ring and often that tells us a moisture system is moving in.

Watch the webcam for clouds building Thursday afternoon Friday morning .

#105791 - 10/12/23 06:41 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

For those interested, I just posted a Trip Report for a hike on the Main Trail on October 11. It is posted under the topic Mt Whitney Conditions which was started by Angela.

#105804 - 10/26/23 06:35 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
OverPack Offline

Loc: Co Cal
Hi,

Can anyone advise if the creeks and streams still flowing water this week of Oct 26 2023?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’