Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104674 - 12/21/21 10:55 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Looks like we are in the old 7-10 day weather cycle another system to move in mid week and stay around a few days.
Each year we tend to see a few wanting to summit New Years Day , this year with the storms and limited time for the snow to firm up + snow over icy conditions from past storms , travel would be slow and risky.
I got a call monday night from a local asking about conditions and the chance of summiting before the last storm , I answered tell the person since systems are never the same but we know that the worst time to go is when a system is on the way and can dump feet at the upper elevation can make coming out very hard or not possible for days. This system moving in now will have the same advice.

#104675 - 01/01/22 03:31 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
Mary Offline

Loc: WI
What’s the current coverage on the Portal Road to snowshoe to the Whitney TH?
Thanks!

#104676 - 01/01/22 08:23 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Mary]
Doug Sr Offline

Snow came down to the valley floor, road has snow at the lower gate where the road closed sign BUT sections will clear as the sun hits areas south facing . So about the middle of the first switchback you should have snow to the Trailhead .

Rocks and slides can come down and go across the road so as you go up walk on the far side of the road away from the road cut. Sun and wind will bring small rocks down often but one large one came down already.

#104723 - 04/08/22 03:38 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
cow Offline

Loc: CA
Hoping to hike Whitney on the week of 4/18/22. Heard we had a bad snow pack this year so I'm looking to push my luck. Anyone know if I can summit safely without hitting any technical / icy sections on the main trail?

Thank you!

#104724 - 04/08/22 05:02 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: cow]
perky Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada
I have an overnight permit for May 17th. The snowpack this year is actually slightly lower than last years. The Sierra got off to a big start for the snow year the end of Dec., but it’s fizzled every since. There is a minor storm coming in on Monday, but it’s not a big snow maker.

#104725 - 04/09/22 01:16 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: cow]
Doug Sr Offline

You may have read the Sierra has a record low snow year, that is great from many points of view but the fact is we had snow and as always that snow stays on the upper elevation till mid June to late June.
Focus on where the snow/ice will hold : any where above 10,000' on north facing slopes add to this the day time highs and night time lows , example Monday night 0 degrees for the 12,000' elevation ' So we have melt during the day , freezing at night so stream crossings can be icy into the early mornings. Now mid day busting through the snow crust and chance of injury or falling into a stream (snow bridge).
Which route and how long do you plan to take? these answeres talk to very different plans.

Experience ? " I read many are doing the trails now" How many turned back and were they with a guide group or have many years of winter mountaineering experience ? Or were they just lucky ? Note we coin this time of the year and late season after the permit season the dying season historicaly accidents will happen during these periods . Slips and falls are very common .

Sections of the trail will be snow/ice covered and the trail may require leaving the trail in sections to find the trail above these sections.

The back side (west) should be clear with limited snow coverage but this has in the past been problematic for the down climb which can turn to ice in the afternoon/ evening.

I would focus on going to a level that is snow free and turn back which would be a great trip for this time of the year.

The road is still closed and most likely will not open for several weeks, The County road crew is active on the road clearing now , we will post when the road opens.

#104726 - 04/10/22 12:38 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
cow Offline

Loc: CA
Thank you all for the fantastic info. I will reconsider since the road is closed. Completely forgot about that!

#104727 - 04/12/22 09:41 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
A good hike right now would be just to ramble up to Lone Pine Lake and back, harvesting all you can eat of the delectable miner's lettuce found in abundance between the Portal and there.

#104728 - 04/12/22 02:02 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: hightinerary]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
I've eschewed miner's lettuce in favor of henweighs, also in abundance...

#104783 - 05/19/22 09:07 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Hiked up the Main Trail two days ago (May 17). I joined many hikers taking the Switchbacks. Some hikers were still ascending the Chute. With the great weather, snow is melting fast. A week ago, apparently the Chute was the consensus route.

The only spots I used micro spikes were on the Cables and the end of the last long Switchback before Trail Crest. Hiking poles helped.

On the ascent in the dark just above Mirror Lake, the few remaining patches of snow demanded some focus to remain on the Trail. The low angle snow field that lingers below the Summit Plateau has an excellent boot track.

The creeks are running low and all crossings are easy.

The Spring at the 23rd Switchback is a trickle, but provided water on both ascent and descent.

Consultation Lake is frozen, but the good campsites on its shore are now dry.

Dozens of PCT hikers were encountered between Trail Crest and the Summit.

For those heading up the MR: Iceberg Lake is thawing and the Final 400 can be climbed while avoiding the snow that remains in the middle of the upper half.

The following morning, I enjoyed a hearty breakfast with Doug Sr at the Whitney Portal Store. It was nice to have a lengthy conversation with Doug and Doug after a challenging last two years. This season seems to be off to a good start. Hope it stays that way!

Jim

#104784 - 05/19/22 02:39 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Niall Offline

Loc: Australia
We are hiking up via Onion Valley starting 26 May (and I am coming from Australia). It looks like freeze thaw conditions and snow just over 11,000 feet (and freezing levels over 5000m). I have my La Sportiva boots and snap on crampons but it sounds like overkill (although warm and dry in slushy conditions) and I might get by with just my Scarpa hiking boots. I presume an ice axe is still a good idea? Grateful for any insights.

#104785 - 05/20/22 08:29 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Niall]
Jim F Offline

Niall,

Try to be in Independence the day before your hike. Talk to PCT hikers (off the Trail for a resupply) on the street and at motels about conditions they experienced between Mt Whitney and Onion Valley.

Then drive up to Onion Valley (giving PCT hikers a lift). At the Trail head, try to get more info from hikers coming off the Trail. Give them a ride back to town.

Based on the intel you gather, your skill set, and the weather forecast, make your gear selection and start your adventure the next day.

Jim

#104788 - 05/30/22 08:12 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Spent Saturday and Sunday night (5/28, 5/29) camping at the Whitney Portal Campground. Very windy. Hikers coming down the Main Trail reported seeing Flying Tents at Trail Camp.

Took a short hike Sunday morning from Horseshoe Meadow up to Trail Pass. Dry, windy. The tributary of Cottonwood Creek crossing the Meadow was running low already.

Today hiked in Tuolumne Meadows (on the way back home) and saw many PCT hikers already passing through. Apparently, the creek crossings on the JMT were a non issue (water typically running ankle deep). A few of the passes required some work to cross.

Jim

#104806 - 06/22/22 07:21 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Jim F Offline

Went up the Main Trail two days ago (Monday June 20). Weather much friendlier than over the weekend (cold and windy).

No snow encountered on the Trail.

Many campers at both Outpost Camp and Trail Camp.

In the early morning encountered ice on the trail from the Spring at the 23rd switchback. Collecting some water to drink there required work and patience. On return from Summit, ice gone, easy to collect Spring water.

At Summit, great views in all directions were enjoyed. The register had a recent resupply of paper, so likely the Crabtree Ranger has returned to duty for the Season.

Two groups of hikers completing the High Sierra Trail were encountered at the Summit. They reported excellent conditions for hiking on the HST: Snow no longer an issue at the Kaweah Gap. All creek crossings trivial.

Returning to Whitney Portal, many cars were tagged with warnings indicating violation of food storage rules.

Since my return home, new snow has been reported on Mt Whitney. The Mountain has an impressive collection of pitches, so one has to be prepared when stepping up at the plate.

With persistence, it seems the aspiring Mt Whitney hiker can usually secure a last minute reservation on rec.gov and then print the actual permit.

Jim

#104807 - 06/23/22 04:19 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Jim F]
Doug Sr Offline

Great report Jim Snow Tuesday night and into wed. about a foot on the summit and I got a picture of ther switchback area this AM snow down to about 12000'. System is moving in and out so not stable .

5 PM update from PCT hiker coming over from the backside snow slush slick and may turn to ice tonight

#104808 - 06/27/22 04:41 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Doug Sr]
michael2488s Offline

Trip report (2022/06/23): Microspikes & hiking poles were necessary. Get a minimum of 2L of water at the lake right before the 97 switchbacks. It is pretty much the last water source before the summit. Get 3L if want to be more comfortable. It seemed it was snowing the day before most of the day. I started at 3:30 am and came down at 6:00 pm. It took me 14.5 hours with snow. We were lucky that we had great weather with little snow when we climbed. A pair of hiking poles are pretty much necessary. Make sure to get a burger at the store at the trailhead after you finish.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-...4-no?authuser=0[/img]

#104809 - 07/01/22 10:23 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
stx Offline

Loc: Cali
(Trip date 6/28-6/30) My buddies and I camped at consultation lake and summitted the next day (29th). Trail was dry the whole way with only a few snow patches left on the side of the trail. I had a wonderful time. There is some water about 1/2 mile up the switchbacks. It is running faster in some spots along the trail. That would be the last water to get after trail camp.

#104820 - 07/15/22 09:49 PM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: stx]
Doug Sr Offline

North Fork took the hit today Carillion also go water ,main trail had rain but not like the other two canyons .Took a quick trip up to the north fork crossing on the main trail and rocks steps were at least 3 inches out of the water,water was rushing but would be about 1 foot deep ,old trail in very bad shape,wash outs and loose rocks in the trail thread. No longer a short cut time wise and a great chance to turn an ankle or fall.
Weather most likely will be a wild card the next week.Today rain and hail around 4 PM and reports from JMT hikers they had rain yesterday at Crabtree area,we only had a few drops.
This system was cold low 50's in the Portal this evening.

Bear very active now in the Portal proper .The bear is getting food and packs every night.

#104899 - 08/22/22 05:25 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Arjun R]
Scott W Offline

Loc: Texas
Hiked to Trail Camp on 8/17/22 and summited on 8/18/22. Trail is in great shape. Water was only moderately flowing from the spring above Trail Camp, so make sure you fill up at Trail Camp.

This is monsoon season so try to be off the mountain by noon to avoid being caught in an afternoon thunderstorm. It poured down late afternoon of the 17th at Trail Camp, and those we spoke to coming down from the summit earlier stated they experienced rain, hail, and snow at or near the summit.

We had no precipitation at the summit on the 18th. Nor did we have any the rest of the way down from Trail Camp.

#104915 - 09/02/22 07:49 AM Re: Whitney Trail Conditions [Re: Scott W]
Richard P. Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, CA
There is no flow from the spring at SB22 anymore...
All was dry both on the way up (around 9:00am) and the way down (1:30pm?) on the 1st of September.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’