Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103693 - 12/23/19 10:35 PM One more try
jgaffney Offline

Loc: CA
Last winter, I attended a class at REI about how to hike Mt. Whitney. I had always thought it was out of reach for me because of the altitude gain, but the presenters described a 3-day ascent that made the acclimatization more doable. So, I put my name in the 2019 lottery and hoped for the best.

I had been told that, as a solo hiker, I was sure to get picked for at least one of the 10 entry dates I put in for in the first 2 weeks of September. No such luck. Not only did I not get picked, but I subsequently learned that, since Recreation.gov too it over, there was no "second-chance" lottery. I live too far away to drive all the way to Lone Pine in the hopes of getting a same-day permit.

I also learned that getting a summit permit by entering from Horseshoe Meadows was no sure thing because I also needed a Whitney Portal exit permit. I'm not gong to summit from Guitar lake, then walk all the way out in one day. And, to retrace back to Horseshoe Meadows didn't work for me. I let that dream go for 2019.

Well, I'm going to try one more time for 2020. I'll put my name in again for a two-week spread in early September and hope for the best. This time, if I don't get picked again, I'll drive to Horseshoe Meadows, summit Mt. Langley and be done with it.

#103808 - 05/19/20 12:53 AM Re: One more try [Re: jgaffney]
bomberobob Offline

Loc: california
Im 63 and will be making my 14th summit in Sept , the three day trip is great , first day at outpost , second at trail camp , once down from moring up and back a hike to outpost, one last night under the stars and very sore !
but well worth it as the stars are great in sept

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine