Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103638 - 11/03/19 12:17 AM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Norma R]
Shin Online
BaldyMaster

Loc: Seal Beach
It was my honor to know Bob and met him several times in Sierra and Mt. Baldy. His wisdom and knowledge of outdoor inspired all of us.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends......

#103640 - 11/05/19 03:29 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
Soon after registering on this message board over fifteen years ago, I ascertained that one “Bob R” was the most knowledgeable poster regarding Mt. Whitney and its environs. I was eager to learn, having been hooked on the Sierra Nevada by my first hike up the Mt. Whitney Main Trail. So, I shamelessly emailed Bob numerous stupid questions, and he never failed to answer. I also studied every set of pictures he posted, from which I learned many things - how to climb Mt. Muir, the route through the Ebersbacher Ledges, multiple routes up Thor Peak, where to find water, etc. I hiked with Bob just once – Mt. Gould in late November 2007. At 72, he maintained a steady pace while recounting story after story about previous climbs in the area, often pausing to identify peaks for me. He clearly enjoyed sharing his knowledge and love of the mountains. I was honored to be inducted into the Occasional Peaks Gang that day, and perhaps even more honored to share a post-hike beer with that great gentleman, scholar and mountaineer.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/2075482204/in/album-72157603336549241/[/img]

#103645 - 11/06/19 01:51 AM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
DUG Offline

Loc: Wildomar
So very sorry to hear this. I never got to hike with Bob, but we saw him at the store a lot and on the trail a few times. We were scheduled to hike back to the Gambler's Special wreck together several years ago, but that trip was canceled. He was a very special man. Fair winds and following seas my friend........................................DUG

#103646 - 11/06/19 08:12 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: DUG]
Adrian Offline

Loc: Charlottesville,Va.
Always read his posts with great respect, for he obviously knew what he was about. I knew something was going on a few years ago when he stopped posting and others mentioned medical issues. Age wins the race every time, to my sorrow. I am sorry to hear of his passing, but it does seem he lived one very good life in those 84 years.

Adrian

#103649 - 11/07/19 02:25 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: hightinerary]
Jeff M Offline

Loc: Rattlesnake Hill, CA
What more can really be said? Bob is Bob, and those that know him know what that means. And yes, present tense. Bob is still here, and he's still on the trails, and he's still sharing a beer. I'm glad and grateful to know him and to have shared adventures, lots of laughs, and plenty of eye-rolls.

I look forward to climbing more peaks with him and hearing the stories...

#103650 - 11/07/19 05:45 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Jeff M]
hightinerary Offline

Someone once told me, “Bob will be a hero until he has both feet in the grave.” I think she underestimated him.

#103652 - 11/11/19 12:46 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
asbufra Offline

Loc: Southern California
Drinking Water, altitude sickness, avalanches, mountain safety, poop bags, Whitney Trail Shortcuts and much more;
Bob contributed much to my mountain knowledege.
I figured out soon after seeing his posts so many years ago, that this was a one of those rare guys you listen to, don't question, don't argue just listen and do it the way he tells you. He was serious, never preachy, he just wanted to help us.

Here is a quote from one of Bob's posts from many years ago.

"I believe that all routes in these beloved mountains have special and unique things to offer, and all are to be cherished in one way or another."
BOB R

He will be missed.

Edited by asbufra (11/11/19 01:40 PM)

African Proverb
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbufra/

#103655 - 11/14/19 05:49 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: asbufra]
+ @ti2d Offline

Loc: Oregunian!
Originally Posted By asbufra
"I believe that all routes in these beloved mountains have special and unique things to offer, and all are to be cherished in one way or another."
BOB R

Bob Rockwell was OUR generation's John Muir.

#103656 - 11/16/19 04:24 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: + @ti2d]
Berne Offline

Loc: Rancho Bernardo/ San Diego
On my many trips up Whitney I ran into Mr. Bob. One of the kindest and most knowledgable mountain people. Always stopped and chatted with him.

RIP Bob! Berne Mettenleiter aka "Mountaingoat"

#103671 - 12/09/19 03:37 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
California-Trailwalker Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH (formerly from So...
I only met Bob in person briefly once - at the Portal Store following a hike here, but did e-mail/message with him off and on some years ago.

Bob was an amazing guy with a kind heart and a lot of stories to tell, and was always a wealth of information for those of us who were far less experienced than he was (which was most of us).

The hiking/climbing/BP community has lost an icon, and Bob will be greatly missed.

CaT

#103708 - 01/15/20 06:37 AM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
Bee Offline

Loc: Northern Ca
Sunrise, sunset. A trip I will never forget. Nor will I forget Bob R.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/albums/72157625074453834

#103709 - 01/22/20 08:26 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Bee]
hightinerary Offline

I'll never forget how cold I was. Of course, Bob knew where the best shelter was. I remember Bob's reply when someone asked him why he didn't sleep in the summit hut: "The stars, man! The stars!"

#103726 - 02/24/20 07:55 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
AC502 Offline

Loc: Lake Arrowhead, Calif.
I, like so many, learned a lot about how to hike the trail from Bob's postings on this board. On my first trip up I walked by someone at Trail Crest who looked familiar, and then several hundred yards later I realized who it was and made a u-turn so I could go back and thank him in person for passing on his knowledge of the Trail.

#103828 - 06/05/20 05:24 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
hillybilly Offline

Loc: WV, USA
It has been a while since I visited this site, so I am just now seeing this. I am sorry to hear it. I thought Bob was indestructible. Although I did not know him well I met him when he and a friend watched over me and my two buddies as we made our first ascent of the Mountaineers route. It was also our first ascent of a major mountain. It was early October of 2005 and there was snow and ice in the couloir. Bob and his friend caught up to us at Iceberg Lake. They had just watched us fumble our way up a dangerous set of icy blocks and ledges below Iceberg Lake. I think we unwittenly chose the most dangerous route up. Anyway,Bob very diplomatically asked if they could climb the rest of the way with us. We probably would have made it anyway, but I learned a helluva lot on those few hours we spent with him that paid dividends on many other ascents since. He set the tone for my future interactions in the mountains. He is missed.

#104167 - 10/29/20 06:23 PM Re: Please take a few minutes [Re: Doug Sr]
+ @ti2d Offline

Loc: Oregunian!
Remembering Some Guy on this day of his final climb a year ago.

Hope you are enjoying Heaven's mountains, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’