Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103474 - 08/01/19 03:09 AM HST Conditions Update
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
Just completed (on Monday 7/29) the western approach to Mt Whitney by the High Sierra Trail. Challenging early season conditions this year have resulted in the plans of many to be cancelled in June and July. Indeed, for the 30 miles between the Kaweah Gap and the junction with the JMT, I encountered no one hiking. Even when passing the Kern Hot Springs campground at 5:30 pm on 7/27, the area appeared deserted. However, I think the conditions have finally settled down to a normal mode for the season.

For anyone planning on heading out on the HST soon, here are a few hopefully helpful observations:

(1) The much advertised "trail blowout" on the cliff above the Upper Hamilton Lake is actually a non issue. For the solo hiker, take a short cord to secure your pack if you take it off to help make a couple of simple moves. An unsecured removed pack has the potential to tumble a few hundred feet toward the Lake.

(2) Before hitting the large snowfield at Precipice Lake, understand the direction you should be heading to reach the Kaweah Gap. Also know what the Kaweah Gap looks like from the west.

(3) When crossing Big Arroyo Creek be prepared for a bit of a fight and have hiking poles.

(4) There is now minimal trail flooding in the Kern Canyon and the Trail Crew has cut back the ferns concealing the trail. Be aware that the rattlesnakes are definitely out and about there.

(5) Wallace Creek is still crossed by a log 50 yards downstream from the trail. This large stable log has good traction and many firm branches for handholds. But a fall could be a disaster.

(6) Finally the Wright Creek crossing is easy. Recognize and use the large flat rocks placed by the Trail Crew there a few years ago. These rocks cross the creek and are now about a foot under water.

(7) The summit snow field has a nice trench to walk in. Alternatively, avoid the snow field by heading up the Old Trail toward the Summit Shelter. It was easily to follow the remnants of the Old Trail, but a little scrambling was required.

(8) Similarly, with a mile to go, if one wants to avoid getting wet crossing the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, take the Old Trail down to the Pond.

The outing was topped off with a nice chat with Doug Sr and a large double cheeseburger.

The HST is now definitely open for business. Enjoy!

Jim

#103477 - 08/01/19 02:58 PM Re: HST Conditions Update [Re: Jim F]
rick Offline

Loc: Old Agoura, CA
Jim,
Thanks for the very complete report. Have done the HST 2 of the last 3 years and was considering again end of Sept. You answered my main concern about the trail above UHL. Was this before or after the tunnel? Happy Hiking to All, Rick

#103478 - 08/01/19 04:03 PM Re: HST Conditions Update [Re: rick]
Jim F Offline

Rick,

The "trail blowout" above UHL is shortly before the tunnel.

Jim

#103481 - 08/01/19 09:23 PM Re: HST Conditions Update [Re: Jim F]
bobpickering Online

Loc: Reno, NV
Can you tell me anything about crossing the Kern River to head up Colby Pass Trail? I’m hoping to access Kern Point and Picket Guard that way on August 27. Thanks!

#103482 - 08/02/19 12:55 AM Re: HST Conditions Update [Re: bobpickering]
Jim F Offline

Bob,

Yesterday (7/31) the SEKI website (Trail Conditions) posted: "The Kern River crossing on the Colby Pass Trail is easily fordable."

Actually, as I passed through Junction Meadow on 7/28, I was tempted to follow the Colby Pass Trail to the Kern out of curiosity. Often I am a true believer only after I see. Along the HST the Kern was really raging. But fortunately for you the Kern Kaweah River joins the Kern below the Colby Trail crossing.

Below Picket Guard there is a fine campsite at the small lake on Picket Creek just before it drops off. It has one of my favorite views of Mt Whitney.

Enjoy your numerous adventures!

Jim

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes