Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#102448 - 03/28/18 07:50 PM Day-Of Permit Question
MT93 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi friends! Alas, I did not win the lottery. I was wondering how the day-of permit system works if I want to try the one-day version of the hike. Do I stop by the portal station the day before? Or are day-of permits only available for overnight trips?

Thanks!
Mark

#102450 - 03/31/18 08:18 PM Re: Day-Of Permit Question [Re: MT93]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Hi Several options , first if you keep checking Rec.gov space will open up and you can grab a day/overnight permit.
Next watch the weather when we start to get storms late June early July that last for a few days or a week, many will not show up, Storms are a few hours a day. If you are experienced with hiking not a problem. Easy to get a walk in permit from the Visitor Center 1 mile south of Lone Pine for the next day.

Next option is wait till Mid September Monday -Thursday and most days you can get a day permit for the next day.

October bring a friend there might be very few people on the mountain ,watch for early storms that may dump 2-5 feet of snow at the upper elevations, drifts that cover the trail from just above Outpost Camp area.

No permits at the Trailhead Make sure you stop in town and get your permit ALL PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE LETTER!!!!!! you need to confirm and pick your permit up at the Visitor Center 1 Mile South of Lone Pine Very limited Hours so plan ahead don't wait they close around 4 :30 PM

#102754 - 08/29/18 09:26 PM Re: Day-Of Permit Question [Re: Doug Sr]
Ridgeline Offline

Loc: Granada Hills Ca
I'm just noticing there are no more permits saved for walk ins !
The website also says at 11:00am you can walk in for next day entry, after calling I am told not till 2pm and the only permits are from no shows.

#102758 - 08/31/18 02:14 AM Re: Day-Of Permit Question [Re: Ridgeline]
Ridgeline Offline

Loc: Granada Hills Ca
I snagged one for Wed the 5th, now I need one for Friday the 7th. anyone changing their plans ? if you are, please call and cancel.
Thanks

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine