Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#102293 - 10/19/17 04:29 PM January trip mountaineers route
cbar Offline

Loc: carson city nv
so me and some friends planning a trip this WINTER on jan 1 the mountaineers route just wondering if anything of importance has happened since these old posts on here .????? does the portal road still close on the same spot OR DOES IT CHANGE EVERY YEAR ??? also any one had experience going up the e ledges in winter with snow or ice ??? those are our to big concerns any info would be awesome thanks

#102299 - 10/24/17 03:14 AM Re: January trip mountaineers route [Re: cbar]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Good Questions if we don't get a major storm the North Fork can be dry and ledges can be dry, if we get small storms and clear days between the North Fork is a mess not enough snow to cover the rock ,ice everywhere and very cold nights. Add high winds as the systems move in/out.
That said every year/day is different so just be ready for mixed climbing and plan extra days.

Watch the webcam for snow coverage in the North Fork I have it set so you can see the first canyon, Upper Boyscout Lake area and around to the South heading to Iceberg then the chute above Iceberg.

#102300 - 10/24/17 02:10 PM Re: January trip mountaineers route [Re: Doug Sr]
cbar Offline

Loc: carson city nv
thanks doug . how about the road closure??? my take is that depending on the snow pack it closes but im not certain as to where exactly on the portal road it closes ??? does the location change depending on the snow level??? or is there a fixed spot every year no matter what the conditions ?? i know these are questions time will answer eventually for us but were excited and just looking ahead !!!!!

#102303 - 10/31/17 04:45 PM Re: January trip mountaineers route [Re: cbar]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
For many years, the county put up a “ROAD CLOSED” sign just before the first switchback. You could easily drive around it. If you did, you might get a ticket, especially if you were in the way when they started clearing rocks in the spring. If you got stuck, they wouldn’t dig you out, and your car might be there until spring, when you would probably also get a ticket.

A few years ago, they put up a lockable gate at the same location. I understand that they sometimes lock the gate and sometimes just put up the sign. Maybe someone will chime in with more information.

#102377 - 01/16/18 09:55 PM Re: January trip mountaineers route [Re: bobpickering]
bran_daid Offline

Loc: santa monica, ca
there is currently - 1/13/18 - a locked gate 1.5 miles from the portal.

here's the location of the gate and a photo of the gate.

Moderator:  Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine