Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#100934 - 04/16/16 07:38 PM Ride Whitney Portal to Sacramento - Aug 2016
Pietri Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I am looking to leave my car at Whitney Portal, and return to Sacramento, no later than August 15th. Anyone going near the area or that time frame may be helpful

We will be hiking the High Sierra Trail starting Aug 18, and ending at WP, from which we will continue on by car to other destinations.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with options or alternatives. One of which would be a ride/shuttle from WP to Crescent Meadows (the start of the HST) on the 18th or days before. Even someone from my area who needs to get to WP before the 18th and wants to take my car.

Thanks in advance for any help or info you might be able to provide!

#101366 - 08/14/16 08:19 PM Re: Ride Whitney Portal to Sacramento - Aug 2016 [Re: Pietri]
LV Fred Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
The Eastern Sierra Transit stops in Lone Pine every M-W-F at 10AM and gets to Mojave at about noon (need to go on its website and send a request for reservations), there is public bus service from the EST drop off point in Mojave leaving around 1PM arriving 2:55 PM at Bakersfield Greyhound station, and a bus leaving Bakersfield at 3:05 and 3:50PM to visalia. The park shuttle runs up to the park from Visalia several times in the early AM. So once getting to Visalia the choice is to overnight there or rent a car to go up to Crescent Meadow to retrieve your car if you parked there. We are leaving Crescent Meadow on 8-17 & hoping to make WP by 8-23 (couple of old guys 67 & 71) in time to catch EST bus on 8-24. Can find these schedules on internet.

Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine
Elev. 3,727’