Webcam 2 Legend
Mt. Whitney Timelapse
Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#97963 - 05/31/14 11:59 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Davey McCoy]
tollermom Offline

Loc: Carson City, NV
We stayed in the private rooms at the hotel. Front and center views of Whitney from our front door. Dave and Tracey were super nice, spending extra time to direct us to trails off Horseshoe meadows. Loved the room so much, I canceled my Dow reservation in July and booked again for my Whitney climb! :grin:

#97988 - 06/07/14 12:48 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: tollermom]
Davey McCoy Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks for the kind words and support.. Look forward to seeing you in July….

Dave and Tracy

#100102 - 07/24/15 12:08 AM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
NoUglyOneYet Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
We've never had the pleasure of staying at the Hostel, but for three years running now, have very much enjoyed the $5 showers before heading home! It's the best 5 bucks I've ever spent: as much hot water as I want, a towel, and even little travel-sized shampoo if I need it. And the clerks are always very friendly and helpful. Fabulous!

#100202 - 08/07/15 10:17 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: NoUglyOneYet]
boilerdam Offline

Loc: California
First time I've ever slept in a hostel (ever!). This is awesome. The Portal Hostel is very clean (I'm a stickler for hygiene and cleanliness).

I stayed 1 night on 8/5 before a day hike up Whitney and booked a bed in a 11-bed dorm. It was great and all the other people were super-considerate to each other.

The advantage with such "hiking" hostels is that you bump into a lot of like-minded people. Up until I turned in for the night, we had some great discussions about everyone's hiking adventures. Also, since everyone is either hiking the next day or just returned from long backpacks, lights out was at 10pm :) No late night parties or shouting matches!

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

#100282 - 08/21/15 11:09 PM Re: Whitney Portal Hostel -- Information and Pictures [Re: Anonymous]
GraceD Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Hello Friends! Your website is not working at all for hostel reservations. Poor Alex at the front desk of the hostel had no choice but to book our rooms over the phone. He kindly reserved two queen bed rooms for my hiking buddy and me in October. This may have been against some rules, but Alex's wise executive decision was an act of exemplary customer service and I am very grateful.

Be well! Looking forward to doing the trail October 5 to 7th!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’