Please take a few minutes

Posted by: Doug Sr

Please take a few minutes - 10/29/19 08:40 PM

Today about 9 AM a long time friend to us all took his last climb some knew him as some guy others as Bob and all by Rockwell.
Bob spent many of his years on Whitney doing Rescues and volunteering on the Whitney Trail.
I will post as we find out when gathering is planned.
Posted by: Richard P.

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/29/19 09:35 PM

Condolences to Sheila and the rest of Bob R's family and friends...
Posted by: paul

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 12:32 AM

It was an honor to know Bob and an even greater honor to hike with him.

He was a gentle giant.

I remember the group hike we did many years ago up Thor that Bob guided. It was a memorable experience. But what was more moving was when we stop for a break and Bob, pulled a sandwich out his pack. Inside was a note from his wife, sheila. Bob smiled and put it in his pocket.

Paul
Posted by: Jim F

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 01:28 AM

Very fortunate to have known such a remarkable man.

Bob's enthusiasm, energy, and generosity will remain on Mt Whitney forever.

Condolences to Bob's family and friends.

Jim

Posted by: AndyC

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 01:30 AM

I don't know how many times I have used his photo album link (Bob R) to research a hike or just live vicariously thru his adventures.

RIP and condolences to his family and many friends.
Posted by: Hiiker

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 02:40 PM

I never met Bob but I sure felt like I knew him. His knowledge and wisdom really showed on this board thru his posts. He will be missed by a lot of people including me. My condolences to his family.
Posted by: bobpickering

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 03:45 PM

I met Bob on the Whitney summit in 2010. It was a “WPS Senior Climb”. Bob was handing out $2 Baskin Robins gift certificates, with the “BR” logo enhanced to say “Bob Rockwell”. I still have mine, and I will never spend it. We all miss you, Bob.
Posted by: paul

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 07:10 PM

Bob wrote the following newsletter, "The China Laker" in the Spring of 2013.

Good reading.......

Fifty-Seven Years to Closure
By Bob Rockwell

May 24, 1952

".....My first ascent of Mt. Whitney was on May 24, 1952. Years later, I couldn‘t remember what possessed us to do it. There were five of us who started up that day: Burroughs High School buddies George Adam, Ben Woolever, Charlie Reed, Jim Hurtt, and me. At home in China Lake, it was summer-like, so we wore only T-shirts, Levis, and street shoes. We probably each took a light jacket, but no gloves or warm hats. Or canteens, or food except for a few Hershey‘s bars. Or packs, sunscreen, map, compass, flashlights. Or emergency bivouac gear. As I think back upon it now, I shudder......"

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5...Spring+2013.pdf
Posted by: m.c. reinhardt

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 07:23 PM

A true legend... and an inspiration to many. My heart goes out to his family and close friends... and to us all.
Posted by: JamesL

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 07:28 PM

A very nice person as well as amazing outdoorsman. His contributions in so many areas impacted the lives of many.
Posted by: Richard

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 07:57 PM

Oh my, what a great loss. I never had the honor of meeting him in person, but we exchanged a series of emails about Corkscrew Peak many years ago. He was so helpful in responding to my questions.

Rest In Peace, Bob Rockwell. You will be missed.

He saw my register entry for Corkscrew and put a picture of it in his Flickr album. The caption is "Congrats, Richard".

Posted by: GigaMike

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/30/19 11:04 PM

Bob was one of the first person I met on Whitney from this message board and it seemed I would bump into him almost every time I was at the portal or on the mountain. He was the most reliable source for beta and would always give it to you straight (really straight! ;-).

You'll be missed, Some Guy.
Posted by: Mountain Ginger

Please take a few minutes - 10/31/19 12:46 AM

Bob was an amazing guy.
Always ready and willing to sacrific and be sandwiched between two smelly, sweaty girls for their photo opportunity. I always looked for him when Mouse and I were out. Seems Mouse always brought out the mountain stars. His will be one we sorely miss.
Posted by: Ranboze

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/31/19 02:45 AM

A sad day... a legend of my day and I am so blessed to have shared even just one trail with him. May he climb every mountain...
Posted by: sierragator

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/31/19 12:10 PM

Condolences to his family and friends. I had the pleasure of interacting with him when I took a mountaineering class at China Lake as well as sharing a mountain or two with him and others over the years. He always had stories and was willing to share the wisdom he had acquired through his many years of experience in the mountains. "some guy" indeed......
Posted by: CheckSix

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/31/19 11:24 PM

May Bob R.'s wisdom, love of the outdoors, love of Mt. Whitney, and love for his fellow human beings be an inspiration to all who hike/climb Mt. Whitney. Enjoyed the many years he contributed to this board.
Posted by: + @ti2d

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/01/19 12:25 AM

My heart is sad. Our condolences to Sheila and the Rockwell family.

Journey well in heaven, Bob!
Posted by: graham

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/01/19 08:51 PM

Very sorry to hear about Bob’s passing. Bob was probably my 1st virtual mentor to the Sierra as I poured over his Whitney MR beta and other details before my 1st time up the MR ~2004. Every time I bumped into him in the mountains, I told him how appreciative I was for all the Sierra knowledge he shared. He was a true ambassador to the Whitney area and the rest of the Sierra and will be sorely missed. RIP

Rick Graham
Posted by: kswitzer

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/02/19 03:12 AM

From the Ridgecrest paper:
https://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20191101/dr-robert-rockwell-1935-2019
Posted by: Norma R

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/02/19 11:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear of Bob R's passing. I, like everyone here, gleaned information and knowledge from what he shared. My condolences to Sheila and family. Next time I am on the MWMT I will have a toast at the source of the Finest Water on The Planet for Bob. RIP Some Guy.
Posted by: Shin

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/03/19 12:17 AM

It was my honor to know Bob and met him several times in Sierra and Mt. Baldy. His wisdom and knowledge of outdoor inspired all of us.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends......
Posted by: hightinerary

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/05/19 03:29 PM

Soon after registering on this message board over fifteen years ago, I ascertained that one “Bob R” was the most knowledgeable poster regarding Mt. Whitney and its environs. I was eager to learn, having been hooked on the Sierra Nevada by my first hike up the Mt. Whitney Main Trail. So, I shamelessly emailed Bob numerous stupid questions, and he never failed to answer. I also studied every set of pictures he posted, from which I learned many things - how to climb Mt. Muir, the route through the Ebersbacher Ledges, multiple routes up Thor Peak, where to find water, etc. I hiked with Bob just once – Mt. Gould in late November 2007. At 72, he maintained a steady pace while recounting story after story about previous climbs in the area, often pausing to identify peaks for me. He clearly enjoyed sharing his knowledge and love of the mountains. I was honored to be inducted into the Occasional Peaks Gang that day, and perhaps even more honored to share a post-hike beer with that great gentleman, scholar and mountaineer.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/2075482204/in/album-72157603336549241/[/img]
Posted by: DUG

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/06/19 01:51 AM

So very sorry to hear this. I never got to hike with Bob, but we saw him at the store a lot and on the trail a few times. We were scheduled to hike back to the Gambler's Special wreck together several years ago, but that trip was canceled. He was a very special man. Fair winds and following seas my friend........................................DUG
Posted by: Adrian

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/06/19 08:12 PM

Always read his posts with great respect, for he obviously knew what he was about. I knew something was going on a few years ago when he stopped posting and others mentioned medical issues. Age wins the race every time, to my sorrow. I am sorry to hear of his passing, but it does seem he lived one very good life in those 84 years.

Adrian
Posted by: Jeff M

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/07/19 02:25 PM

What more can really be said? Bob is Bob, and those that know him know what that means. And yes, present tense. Bob is still here, and he's still on the trails, and he's still sharing a beer. I'm glad and grateful to know him and to have shared adventures, lots of laughs, and plenty of eye-rolls.

I look forward to climbing more peaks with him and hearing the stories...

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/07/19 05:45 PM

Someone once told me, “Bob will be a hero until he has both feet in the grave.” I think she underestimated him.
Posted by: asbufra

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/11/19 12:46 PM

Drinking Water, altitude sickness, avalanches, mountain safety, poop bags, Whitney Trail Shortcuts and much more;
Bob contributed much to my mountain knowledege.
I figured out soon after seeing his posts so many years ago, that this was a one of those rare guys you listen to, don't question, don't argue just listen and do it the way he tells you. He was serious, never preachy, he just wanted to help us.

Here is a quote from one of Bob's posts from many years ago.

"I believe that all routes in these beloved mountains have special and unique things to offer, and all are to be cherished in one way or another."
BOB R

He will be missed.

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/14/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By asbufra
"I believe that all routes in these beloved mountains have special and unique things to offer, and all are to be cherished in one way or another."
BOB R

Bob Rockwell was OUR generation's John Muir.
Posted by: Berne

Re: Please take a few minutes - 11/16/19 04:24 PM

On my many trips up Whitney I ran into Mr. Bob. One of the kindest and most knowledgable mountain people. Always stopped and chatted with him.

RIP Bob! Berne Mettenleiter aka "Mountaingoat"
Posted by: California-Trailwalker

Re: Please take a few minutes - 12/09/19 03:37 PM

I only met Bob in person briefly once - at the Portal Store following a hike here, but did e-mail/message with him off and on some years ago.

Bob was an amazing guy with a kind heart and a lot of stories to tell, and was always a wealth of information for those of us who were far less experienced than he was (which was most of us).

The hiking/climbing/BP community has lost an icon, and Bob will be greatly missed.

CaT
Posted by: Bee

Re: Please take a few minutes - 01/15/20 06:37 AM

Sunrise, sunset. A trip I will never forget. Nor will I forget Bob R.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/albums/72157625074453834

Re: Please take a few minutes - 01/22/20 08:26 PM

I'll never forget how cold I was. Of course, Bob knew where the best shelter was. I remember Bob's reply when someone asked him why he didn't sleep in the summit hut: "The stars, man! The stars!"
Posted by: AC502

Re: Please take a few minutes - 02/24/20 07:55 PM

I, like so many, learned a lot about how to hike the trail from Bob's postings on this board. On my first trip up I walked by someone at Trail Crest who looked familiar, and then several hundred yards later I realized who it was and made a u-turn so I could go back and thank him in person for passing on his knowledge of the Trail.
Posted by: hillybilly

Re: Please take a few minutes - 06/05/20 05:24 PM

It has been a while since I visited this site, so I am just now seeing this. I am sorry to hear it. I thought Bob was indestructible. Although I did not know him well I met him when he and a friend watched over me and my two buddies as we made our first ascent of the Mountaineers route. It was also our first ascent of a major mountain. It was early October of 2005 and there was snow and ice in the couloir. Bob and his friend caught up to us at Iceberg Lake. They had just watched us fumble our way up a dangerous set of icy blocks and ledges below Iceberg Lake. I think we unwittenly chose the most dangerous route up. Anyway,Bob very diplomatically asked if they could climb the rest of the way with us. We probably would have made it anyway, but I learned a helluva lot on those few hours we spent with him that paid dividends on many other ascents since. He set the tone for my future interactions in the mountains. He is missed.

Re: Please take a few minutes - 10/29/20 06:23 PM

Remembering Some Guy on this day of his final climb a year ago.

Hope you are enjoying Heaven's mountains, Bob.