Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#104168 - 11/02/20 04:35 PM Posting pictures
borboleta Offline

Loc: California
Hello all how do I post a picture here? I busted two gentlemen at the portal store and I would like to post their picture here. Thank you

Instagram: @_helena_borboleta

#104175 - 11/09/20 03:45 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: borboleta]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
I was waiting for the method my self about 20 years ago when we set up the site I recall you needed a "place" to call the photos from that you could link . Well since I always had throw away cameras I did the trip reports with and posted a quick note that we would hand out each week was long before some of these things were created.

OK so I don't know how to post a picture , but one day I did find I could link a site by cut and paste an address

It was great talking with you and sharing a few views of the Earthquake damage.

#104190 - 11/14/20 11:45 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: Doug Sr]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
A fairly simple way is to put your photo on another website such as the one you list on your signature line. That file then has a name and url such as http://www.yourwebsite.com/picture.jpg (I made this very incorrect as an actual url but hope you get the idea). The pic could also be on one of the photo service webpages and would have its own unique url.

In your message on the WP Store Message board you simply say something like: Ran into these mugs up at the store last weekend. See them at http://www.yourwebsite.com/picture.jpg

#104191 - 11/15/20 04:52 AM Re: Posting pictures [Re: Scott M.]
John Sims Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
If you join flickr (still free, I think) you can copy and paste the url for the photo in question. Or, you can "share" from flickr, and it will give you the link to your flickr home page, or album, or individual photo, OR, you can even embed them into your post (as shown below)

Garnet Lake-Pano

#104192 - 11/15/20 04:43 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: John Sims]
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Thanks John Many people have flickr so this should make it easy . I know smugmug? also did something like this but got hissy a few years ago can't recall what is was , charged for storage or something again it is a great site photo quality is outstanding.

#104195 - 11/16/20 06:13 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: Doug Sr]
John Sims Offline

No problem Doug. Happy to help.
I do not think it has had any effect on Flickr so far, but SmugMug did acquire Flickr back in April. Both sites host millions of photographs, and can be used to augment research on trails and hiking destinations (or anywhere in the world really).

#104201 - 11/22/20 09:33 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: John Sims]
john h Offline

Loc: carlsbad, ca
Ok, how do you embed the photo in the post?

#104202 - 11/22/20 11:50 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: john h]
John Sims Offline

After uploading your photograph to flicker, open flicker to that page.
In the lower right corner there are four icons: Edit, Share, Download, and cart.
Click on share, and a popup window will open with four tabs: share, embed, E-mail, and BBCode. It's a bit misleading, but for this forum you will need the "BBCode".
Click on BBCode, select image size (I recommend no more than 800 X 444). Then copy the URL, and paste into your post. This will include more information than is shown in my example, but you can edit the URL to remove unwanted info. The image will not show up until you either preview or post. Click on preview to verify any edits you make are what you want.
If you are happy with the results, click on Submit.

Edited by John Sims (11/22/20 11:52 PM)

#104203 - 11/23/20 06:06 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: John Sims]
john h Offline

Thank you John. Your instructions seem clear. I will give it a try!

#104205 - 11/23/20 06:24 PM Re: Posting pictures [Re: john h]
john h Offline

I was able for the first time to post pics. They are under the topic "Current Conditions." Thank you!

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine