Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#104148 - 10/02/20 07:04 PM Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20
Doug Sr Online

Loc: Whitney
Just got a call Inyo should open in the morning, Please wait for the press release and campground/permit notices . Also could be restrictions on opening these detail should be in the press release . Look at the Inyo Forest Webpage AND the Region 5 Page.
As always don't take second guesses and what if or they said: Read the press release for all the details when it comes out

Press release is out just now Looks like wilderness areas are closed in the Inyo Sierra range. WILDERNESS at the Portal starts about 1/4 mile above the Portal Elevation contour 8600'? Portal is 8300' Campground should open but check with RRM before driving up I know the host moved on and may take a day or so to get the campground open.

Read the details in the press release slow as they are not clear at first read what is open when and where.

Edited by Doug Sr (10/02/20 07:27 PM)

#104150 - 10/03/20 05:22 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Online

Ok to add more what if's and where can I go but they said... Best is get a map that shows the Wilderness boundaries of the Inyo NF , Golden Trout ,John Muir and the others listed on the closure order Until DEC 1 ,2020, Understand that other than Horseshoe Meadow Rd that was cherrystemed to the new pack station,the wilderness area is very close to the end of the roads and some of the roads are FS and some are County. So see that helps!

Add to the equation as you are in the Valley proper most likely if not in a building drinking soda pop you are on DWP land with additional rules (Day use only) and rivers and lakes that may or may not allow fishing year round, Next from the Valley Floor you enter BLM the other BLM they have rules about fire and camping and you know don't drive on the flowers, Don't shoot the wild life as that might be a cow or horse and the local butcher most likely will not process your trophy kill or mount the head.

Now as you enter the foothill just above the Valley floor past the BLM area you should see signs NATIONAL FOREST Inyo ... or the Forest you are entering, Some might say National Park another set of conditions but in the NF most roads will lead to a campground, trailhead, lake and some services this is front country you know not back country ,backcountry is once you leave a developed area , most often requires getting out of the coach and using bipedal motion to advance forward.

Now add the hundreds of dirt roads some may get you very close to the Wilderness areas and may be posted closed. either on the ground (sign closed) or with a gate. Again the official maps are about the only way to find the answer.
I like the region 5 interactive map a lot , but if it isn't corrected when to pick a location it might on the first level /layer say something is open BUT YOU have to click on the link and go to that location for the final answer OPEN/CLOSED

Now Inyo NF is on both sides of Owens Valley East side Inyo Mountains and White Mountains Kinda now the west side Sierra side AKA Sierras to some and that's fine, the wilderness areas mostly are closed till Dec. 1 or until opened or closed locked gates and 25'feet of snow but until opened you can not go into the closed areas. Ya but I want to go to the lake at... it is just up the trail... well the wilderness starts just up the trail.

The next few days most of this will be sorted out with map references and the refund for the trail or campground you made this will be the first real clue that Yup I think it's closed. Some Campgrounds closed for the season already as we should see snow and colder weather someday!

Now for the final update with maps and correcting details I rest well not rest since down south doing supply pick ups for next season/ and it is 105 about everyday , I should of stayed surveying they like the heat and cold and wind and traffic and advice where the real property is , they will show you.
Until that time

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/maps-pubs/?cid=STELPRD3806421&width=full

Edited by Doug Sr (10/03/20 05:40 PM)

#104162 - 10/22/20 03:10 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: Doug Sr]
Doug Sr Online

Spent a few days doing odd jobs at the store, last week end and final trip on Monday , Smoke was very thick Monday in the Portal , very few people Sunday/Monday but still had a chance to help with reading the closed sign at the trail head.
This was a very dry year ,at best we had 1 short period of clouds and maybe one late afternoon sprinkle, Bishop just recorded 187 days of no rain, this seems to be a pattern the last few years and winter/fall storms pushed into late December , several storm for the winter months and if any spring storms they are late April early May that load the upper elevation and make the trail messy above trailcamp .

#104163 - 10/22/20 07:03 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: Doug Sr]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
So Mary Austin was right.

#104164 - 10/22/20 08:29 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: hightinerary]
hike4sanity Offline

Loc: CA
we were there last weekend, 16th, 17th and 18th. 16th was pretty nice, not a lot of smoke, Saturday got worse, Sunday was awful. And Doug, I know there hasn't been rain, but wow, never seen the waterfall, creeks and canals so low.

#104169 - 11/03/20 12:06 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: hike4sanity]
Scott M. Offline

Loc: Bishop/Aspendell, CA
Most of Inyo National Forest reopening today (11/3/20) via order 05-04-50-200-21.
More details at https://www.fs.usda.gov/inyo.

#104170 - 11/03/20 02:17 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: Scott M.]
Doug Sr Online

Thanks Scott got the update late yesterday and wanted to see details .

The kink for Whitney is the day use permit , in the old days it was just a self issue pick up /drop box paper now you need to do the REC.gov process , but I noticed a phone method , not sure that would bypass the Rec.gov system SO don't hold out until the day before if you plan the hike Most of the open period this summer was about a 2 week lead and several days before your hike the "phone call saying you got papers".

The Portal Pond froze the first part of the week , water is low coming into the Portal stream , This means very cold above and the streams are frozen , ANY stream crossing before and after the stream will have ICE in the area. Portal temp Sunday afternoon about 45 degrees felt warm in the sun but chilly in the shade. I was draining our water system and once your hand got wet, it was very cold fast

Cold event the end of the week seems about normal to me but if you are coming from lower elevation and the temps are still in the 70-90's like I say bring a jacket and snacks . Day light now about 6 AM-6PM so plan for a lot of dark if you do a day hike.

Same drill as every year Just because you can go think about the conditions . It will be very cold , short daylight, and ice in places you would not encounter during the summer AND NO running water in the Portal or some of the streams unless you break through. And you may be the only one on the mountain during the weekdays.

I would always make a trip to at least above Mirror lake in the late fall the colors are amazing, the Lakes are frozen over but not snow covered and most often not see another person above the Portal , this is a great day hike .

The covid thing still mask required in Inyo County all stores , and outside if you can not safe distance, limit group size and you know don't come if you are sick?

#104171 - 11/03/20 05:08 PM Re: Press release to follow : Inyo to Open 10/3/20 [Re: Scott M.]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
The John Muir Wilderness within Inyo National Forest is open again. Forest Order 05-04-50-20-21 supersedes Forest Order 05-04-50-20-20, which closed JMW within INF through December 31. 05-04-50-20-21 leaves just about everything outside the Creek Fire area open.

Edited by bobpickering (11/03/20 05:19 PM)

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine