Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103469 - 07/30/19 09:52 PM Jim F, young man and lady bring parents from HSM
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Ok talked with Jim last night ,water and bugs in the backcountry.
This afternoon had the chance to meet a family that started at Horseshoe Meadow on Friday and out today at the Portal for lunch .I think the youngest for the trip 4 years 5 months,summited Whitney yesterday ,camped at Trailcamp last night and out,Somehow made the trek down without a rescue.
Shortly after talking with the family had the chance to talk with a runner ,2 hours and change marathon time.
3 PM no rescues yet today .

#103471 - 07/31/19 05:52 PM Re: Jim F, young man and lady bring parents from HSM [Re: Doug Sr]
Jim F Offline

Loc: California
While heading up from Guitar Lake to Trail Crest on Monday 7/29 with clear skies and stiff winds., I encountered the family of four (with 4 year old twins). Like others, they were boulder hopping to avoid some hard snow/ice on the trail. Despite the 13,000' altitude, their pace was unlabored and steady. One could sense that they were in control and enjoying the experience, as well as the awesome scenery as the early morning sun cast upon the Great Western Divide to the west. Having started at Horseshoe Meadows, they were looking forward to experiencing the 360 degree views from the summit of Mt Whitney.

A few hours later, I encountered the family again as they crossed the summit snow field. I could not resist telling the parents that when the kids become adults they will come to appreciate how fortunate they were to have parents who made the effort to provide them with practical experience in the Sierras.

I commented that I felt very indebted to my father for providing me with such an experience. In fact, just days after I turned 10, Dad guided me across the Sierras on the High Sierra Trail in 1959. I was now completing the 60th Anniversary repeat of that High Sierra Trail crossing in memory of my father and all he taught me during his very short life. The Mom broke out in tears and it was challenging for me to conceal mine.

This brief interaction with the family was one of the highlights of my hike. It is this unique human interaction which provides extra meaning to one's relationship with the Mountain. It was as if several Great Forces suddenly fell into alignment and I felt as if I had won the true jackpot in Life!

Jim F

#103476 - 08/01/19 12:52 PM Re: Jim F, young man and lady bring parents from HSM [Re: Jim F]
Ridgeline Offline

Loc: Granada Hills Ca
Jim F,
Thanks for that, great way to start a morning !

#103484 - 08/02/19 05:19 AM Re: Jim F, young man and lady bring parents from HSM [Re: Jim F]
4 Year old Twins Offline

Loc: CA
Hi Jim - My wife and I remember meeting and talking with you. She repeated the conversation several times on the rest of the journey and more tears came. She will always remember your story and we look forward to having great memories with our twins as well. You get more out of the mountains than just hiking.

Matthew & Arabella Adams - 4 Years 5 Months old that summited Mt Whitney on Mon 7-29-19. If you have Instagram you can see some pictures / videos from their Mt Whitney journey (and others). Super_Hiking_Twins

Doug is in one of the pictures! smile

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’