Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103442 - 07/20/19 04:16 AM Could you just buy a pair of Boots
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Lets say 10 rescues this week and call it good, 4-5 ankle injuries, one or two couldn't hang with the group and walked down sometime after mid night, carry out by fellow hikers the other night, was able to cancel that rescue , but call back for which one was to be canceled , one male one female.
Flights about nonstop the last few days, today HAPE problem , another ankle injury and locked keys in van so a little late getting to the Hospital to pickup the HAPE person.
I always forget about the afternoon thunderstorms and the 7 foot deep water crossings , I would tend to stay on the main traveled trail and deal with the 4-6 inches of water and rock hop to stay dry and check the last 2 months for the total number of thunderstorms?

Now to the boots! real boots for mountain travel, could save your need for a rescue, also kick steps into the snow and give you support as you move over rough sections of the trail and give you traction to help prevent a fall/or slip .

#103444 - 07/20/19 10:47 PM Re: Could you just buy a pair of Boots [Re: Doug Sr]
josh Offline

Loc: usa
true that

#103453 - 07/23/19 02:35 PM Re: Could you just buy a pair of Boots [Re: Doug Sr]
John B Offline

Loc: Indiana
My hiking partner and I took it easy with no planned time hacks (aside from descending back to trail camp by sunset) and although he wore Altra trail runners with no issues, I opted for lightweight Hoka boots with waterproof liners--also (surprise!) no issues. I walked through almost every water obstacle with my poles except for the log bridge and a few rock hops for fun. We didn't see any 7 foot deep crossings, or mountain lions, or space aliens, sadly.

Unrelated: We met Doug Sr. and Earlene on Tuesday before our summit trip and they couldn't have been any nicer; thanks for the new books! grin

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine