Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103419 - 07/13/19 03:39 PM 2x2x2
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
JMT hikers coming and going this week 3 groups of 2 came in the last two days , 2 young ladies early morning and 2 young men afternoon , another 2 young men from back east the day before, reports that many PCT hikers in the backcountry heading north now, still snow north and stream crossing are a problem but looks like with caution crossing are working.
Whitney about the same as past years small patch of snow at the cables and the last long switchback before trailcrest,again like all years if you say the trail is clear someone will find a patch of snow in Death Valley in a cave 400 feet down and say no we had snow on the way to the summit.
First stream crossing is about 6 inches deep , rocks are showing so you can rock hop , or better bring 2 - 10 gallon trash bags and rubber bands and just walk through the water , well the trash bags over your boots.
Waiting for the first afternoon thunder storm so you have to be off the summit by noon theory, seeing hikers coming back because lack of rest before the hike leaving at midnight and hitting the colder elevation with not enough gear or still getting off trail, Get the free apps and maps on line .
Rescues slowing down but about every night we get the My friend is missing or we left them at and where are they ???

Deer on the Portal Road most nights now and this week is the Badwater race so runners /support crews and cars,vans, flashing lights all night long Tuesday night and runners finishing in the Portal all day Wed.

#103420 - 07/13/19 10:50 PM Re: 2x2x2 [Re: Doug Sr]
Wtny n1. Offline

Thanks for the update Doug. It would be fun to see some snow in the backyard sense all I can see is DIRT and no new wood yet! Bets and I are looking forward to coming back in August.

#103421 - 07/14/19 12:39 PM Re: 2x2x2 [Re: Wtny n1.]
hightinerary Offline

Loc: Maryland
Why not use cardboard as a wood substitute? I know where you can get some.

#103448 - 07/22/19 08:42 PM Re: 2x2x2 [Re: hightinerary]
thorn Offline

Loc: berkeley, CA
got to see some Ultramarathon runners at the Hostel on Wednesday /(thanks for the showers !) ... we went over Kearsarge and the snow was minimal but north side of glen pass is wow, better have some spikes into august i think// south side was easy enough to go up and get a view though. Far less people up in the mtns than usual this summer, very nice

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine