Owens Valley North

Owens Valley North Legend
Owens Valley South

Owens Valley South Legend
Topic Options
#103130 - 04/18/19 10:58 PM Portal Road
paul Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Hey Doug, I was thinking about heading up to the Portal soon (2 weeks). I am curious as to the conditions of the road. Is Caltrans still working on the road?

thanks

paul

#103131 - 04/19/19 02:56 AM Re: Portal Road [Re: paul]
Doug Sr Offline

Loc: Whitney
Road work moving forward , the rocks are cleared and looks as of tonight most of the grading is done , what is left is sweeping and then the area around the Pond needs to be cleaned by the Forest Service , I am sure they are very busy up north getting the Campgrounds and roads open for fishing opener. I don't see us having water soon but we are going up and getting ready to open as soon as the roads open.

Two weeks it will look like summer again , melting out fast at the Portal

#103132 - 04/21/19 04:39 AM Re: Portal Road [Re: Doug Sr]
Kurt Wedberg Offline

Loc: Bishop, CA
Here's the parking lot below the road closed sign last night. I've never seen so many cars parked here:

#103136 - 04/23/19 04:41 AM Re: Portal Road [Re: Doug Sr]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Any updates on when they will open the road? That gate is keeping me from driving down from Reno, doing the MR, and spending a little money. Thanks!

#103138 - 04/23/19 03:37 PM Re: Portal Road [Re: bobpickering]
bobpickering Offline

Thanks for posting the update on the other thread, Doug. (I would have posted there, but it wouldn’t let me.) I’m heading down today to enjoy what looks like perfect weather tomorrow.

#103140 - 04/25/19 10:17 PM Re: Portal Road [Re: bobpickering]
JD Morris Offline

Loc: CA
How did it go, Bob? Did you need snowshoes? How was the parking? Cheers!

#103141 - 04/25/19 10:20 PM Re: Portal Road [Re: JD Morris]
bobpickering Offline

Yesterday, I climbed the Mountaineer’s Route and then descended the main trail (with a detour to Mt. Muir). As Doug said, the lower gate was open, but the next gate up (about a 40-minute walk from the trailhead) was locked. The road was completely clear. The parking lot next to the trailhead still had three feet of snow in the morning, but they cleared it by the time I hiked out. I didn’t go by the pond, but the road was clear as far as I could see. My guess is that they will open all the gates on Friday, as Doug said.

There is a lot of snow everywhere, once you get a few hundred feet above the portal. There is avalanche debris on the north fork (Mountaineers’ Route) in the canyon below Lower Boy Scout Lake. You don’t want to be there in the middle of the day. I don’t think anybody has been on the ledges yet. It appeared that you could take them if you wanted to, but you would be forced onto easy snow up higher. There is great snow coverage all the way to about 100’ below the notch. The final 400 is mixed snow and rock.

You can follow the main trail up to about 9,300’. After that, the tracks take some shortcuts, but more or less follow the trail. The chute has lots of snow. It will be the best way up and down for quite a while. The trail on the back side is mostly snow, but there are plenty of bare patches. There are several short, steep places that are hard to cross without crampons.

Overall, the snow is soft, which makes for a lot of extra work. Fortunately, I rarely punched into the snow deeper than my ankles. Leave the snowshoes at home. I hope this helps. Have fun!

Moderator:  Bob R, Doug Sr 
Mt. Whitney Weather Links

White Mountain/
Barcroft Station

Elev 12,410’

Upper Tyndall Creek
Elev 11,441’

Crabtree Meadows
Elev 10,700’

Cottonwood Lakes
Elev 10,196’

Lone Pine